Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Want to Live & Work in the US

Want to Live & Work in the US

Old Oct 26th 2009, 9:25 am
Just Joined

numbers18 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Want to Live & Work in the US

Split from a thread with link to Pulaski's Ways.

Hi, Im desperately trying to move to the US as an accountant but am completely lost as to how to go about it. I have gone through the US embassy website and have tried to call but dont really get anywhere. I have no american family or background and due to this am really struggling. PLease help and advise the best way to enable a permanent stay in america. Would I be able to work on a travel visa and then extended stay or acheive sponsorship through a company afterwards.

Help!!!!!

Last edited by meauxna; Oct 26th 2009 at 4:16 pm.
Old Oct 26th 2009, 11:53 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: REALLY, READ ME: Want to Live & Work in the US?

Originally Posted by numbers18
Hi, Im desperately trying to move to the US as an accountant but am completely lost as to how to go about it.
If you are a professional accountant you should be easily capable of reading the wiki article and drawing the appropriate conclusions from it.
Old Oct 26th 2009, 7:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Want to Live & Work in the US

Agreed. These questions are answered in the wiki article.

It's unlikely you'll be able to move to the USA, and no you cannot work without the correct visa.

If you can't be bothered reading the infomation laid out in the wiki, then you really can't want to come here all that much.
Old Oct 26th 2009, 7:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Would I be able to work on a travel visa and then extended stay or acheive sponsorship through a company afterwards.
No. A couple of ideas for you:

PLAN A:

Step 1: find an American employer that is hiring.

Step 2: convince the employer that you are the only one for the job, and that the employer should go to the considerable trouble and expense to hire a foreign national.

Step 3: employer takes it from there.

PLAN B:

Step 1: get hired on by a multinational company (offices in your home country and the USA).

Step 2: request a transfer to the USA after at least 1 year.

Step 3: employer takes it from there.

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer.
Old Oct 27th 2009, 8:30 am
Just Joined

To those who are rude and saying I cant be bothered reading the wiki article thats rubbish. Although I havent actually read the wiki article I have been on just about every website there is trying to find out information. As im sure you will all know it is incredibily difficult to get a work visa in the US so thought I would try and seek some advice from people who have done it. Thanks for the sarcastic comments though, much appreciated.
Old Oct 27th 2009, 9:45 am
Guttural Brumerican

Titchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond repute

To those who are rude and saying I cant be bothered reading the wiki article thats rubbish. Although I havent actually read the wiki article I have been on just about every website there is trying to find out information. As im sure you will all know it is incredibily difficult to get a work visa in the US so thought I would try and seek some advice from people who have done it. Thanks for the sarcastic comments though, much appreciated.
Maybe they aren't being rude, just stating a point?

Anyhow, short of the marriage option (which I think a lot of us here did - me included) you could try "Titchski's Way" which admittedly is a bit shorter, and less complete than Pulaskis Ways (and quite possibly slightly less than legal...) :

OPERATION PEDALO: Immigrate to Cuba. Grow Moustache. Get Cuban passport. Steal pedalo. Pedal across to Florida. DO NOT, under any circumstance, accept a lift from those nice CoastGuard people.
Old Oct 27th 2009, 10:24 am
Just Joined

I dont think I would pass as Cuban, but im open to the marriage idea.....if you know anyone that wants to help me out let me know!!!!
Old Oct 27th 2009, 10:40 am
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

1. How old are you & what degree (s) you have?
2. Experience?
3. Skills and specialities?
Old Oct 27th 2009, 11:05 am
Just Joined

I have an american equivalent of an accounting degree. I want to study further in america, so I can obviuosly learn more about there tax systems, accounting software etc but ultimately need to work to keep me fed and watered!! Im 25 so would have seen that as an ideal age to move for prospective employers. Ive been working and studying in accountancy for the past 7 years, with a variety of experience, I dont know if you would call any of the experience 'special' as such but I know given the opportunity I could walk into a job in the US (without sounding arrogant) as I have contacted agencies who have said this should be the case.
Old Oct 27th 2009, 12:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute

To those who are rude and saying I cant be bothered reading the wiki article thats rubbish. Although I havent actually read the wiki article

Thanks for allowing me to start my working day with a smile
Old Oct 27th 2009, 12:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

I have an american equivalent of an accounting degree. I want to study further in america, so I can obviuosly learn more about there tax systems, accounting software etc but ultimately need to work to keep me fed and watered!! Im 25 so would have seen that as an ideal age to move for prospective employers. Ive been working and studying in accountancy for the past 7 years, with a variety of experience, I dont know if you would call any of the experience 'special' as such but I know given the opportunity I could walk into a job in the US (without sounding arrogant) as I have contacted agencies who have said this should be the case.
But why would an employer over here employ you when they could employ a USC and not have to spend the $$$ and time getting them a visa??
Also, you state that you have an "american equivalent of an accounting degree" how do you know it is equivalent? Have you had it transcribed to prove this to prospective employers?
Sorry if some of the advice sounds harsh, just being realistic
Old Oct 27th 2009, 12:44 pm
Just Joined

Ive been advised by the governing body of the qualification I have. I would prefer people to be harsh aslong as it sconstructive like this is. In response to the reasons for employers employing me over a USC, youre totally correct, why would they, I know if I owned a company I wouldnt especially in time of recession. Here in lies the problem, if the US would grant a six month work visa to allow for oppurtunity it would be ideal. My aim is to go over on a study visa and after a phone call from a lawyer in America, apparently afetr staying on a study visa, there is much more chance of staying on and being granted a work visa. The most annoying part of this process (or lack of) is that Britain opens its doors to US citizens not questions asked!
Old Oct 27th 2009, 12:55 pm
Forum Regular

Scott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond repute

In response to the reasons for employers employing me over a USC, youre totally correct, why would they, I know if I owned a company I wouldnt especially in time of recession. Here in lies the problem, if the US would grant a six month work visa to allow for oppurtunity it would be ideal.
Did you find one of those in the wiki link you were provided?

BTW, being the "equivalent" of the same profession in another country is not the same as having the same qualification. Both my RN degree and paramedic qualifications are very similar to those in the UK. I have a US and UK passport, but still can't work in both countries, due to lack of reciprocity. If I wanted to have the best of both worlds, I would need to do additional "conversion" courses.

Last edited by Scott33; Oct 27th 2009 at 1:03 pm.
Old Oct 27th 2009, 12:58 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

The most annoying part of this process (or lack of) is that Britain opens its doors to US citizens not questions asked!
Don't be ridiculous!
Old Oct 27th 2009, 12:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute

The most annoying part of this process (or lack of) is that Britain opens its doors to US citizens not questions asked!
Put your copy of the Daily Mail down for a moment and take another look at the Wiki...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.