Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Visiting NY, places to stay?

Visiting NY, places to stay?

Old Jan 17th 2010, 6:44 pm
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visiting NY, places to stay?

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
put Expedia/Price Line etc in the search engine.
And be sure to check Trip Advisor for reviews as well: not 100% reliable, especially if only one or two reviews, but can be very useful in getting a real feel for places, and also finding, e.g., if there are good cheap breakfast places nearby, which can say you upwards of $25 on hotel brekkies.

Also, for NYC, you really should check the Bedbug Registry. Look at the incidence map on their home page if you want to know why...
Old Jan 17th 2010, 7:59 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by E3only
Thanks lot. Looking for a 3 star upsacle.....Manhattan or Jersey city. I came across a website where you can apparently bid for rooms?
Priceline and Hotwire are the two discount/bidding sites to use.

Betterbidding and biddingfortravel are two sites that show strategies on how best to use Priceline and Hotwire and people also post how much they were able to get rooms for so you can get a good feel for things.
Old Jan 18th 2010, 1:28 am
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks a lot guys, much appreciated. I will have a look through all that tonight. Cheers
Old Jan 19th 2010, 3:23 pm
Forum Regular

Wooglin is an unknown quantity at this point

If you are looking at Jersey City, a nice small place is the Holland Motor Lodge. It is a 10-15 minute walk to the PATH station that takes you directly into midtown Manhattan. It was an inexpensive and pleasant place to stay for a few days. They have a continental breakfast in the morning, and if you are driving, they have free parking. My girlfriend and I felt perfectly safe walking to and from the PATH station (Pavonia) and there is a large mall right across from the hotel. It is the Ritz? Hell no, but I would stay there again, and I have recommended it to friends who have had a decent stay. If you want something clean and decent, pick this one. It is the best value for your money in Jersey City IMO. (Besides, you are going to spend your time in the city, so don't worry about a lack of pool or the colour of the drapes!)

http://www.hollandmotorlodge.com/
Old Jan 19th 2010, 4:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute

I've stayed here previously. Bus stop within walking dist that is about 10-15 mins from Manhattan.

http://www.hiltongardeninn.com/en/gi...tyhocn=EWRSCGI

Well priced, decent sized rooms and free parking. I seem to remember breakfast was thrown in also.
Old Jan 19th 2010, 7:05 pm
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hobbes79
I seem to remember breakfast was thrown in also.
I prefer mine left on a tray outside the door...
Old Jan 19th 2010, 11:18 pm
Forum Regular

porvera is just really niceporvera is just really niceporvera is just really niceporvera is just really niceporvera is just really niceporvera is just really niceporvera is just really niceporvera is just really nice

Marriott have some good deals in Manhattan.

We (2 adults & 2 children) are staying for 3 nights in March inc breakfast for around $150.00 per night.

This is smack bang in the centre, just off 5th Ave, so no need to travel in or out.

Porvera
Old Jan 19th 2010, 11:40 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Visiting NY, places to stay?

The Pod Hotel is a funky budget hotel in a great location. Sign up for special offers:

http://www.thepodhotel.com/index.html

also:

http://www.applecorehotels.com/

and:

http://nymag.com/urban/guides/nyonth...vel/hotels.htm
(Note; don't recommended staying at the Gershwin hotel listed here....I've only ever walked past it and although it looks very cool/trendy, the reviews I've read on Tripadvisor have never been that complimentary...and in case you are easily offended it is next door to the Museum of Sex and also a sex club...!!!

(I was a volunteer for Travelers Aid at Newark Airport so often had to help people arriving from overseas to find an hotel in NYC, sometimes if a big conference is on then all the hotels get booked out and prices rocket, so I've done a fair bit of research in the past to help people look for something they can afford).

Last edited by Englishmum; Jan 19th 2010 at 11:59 pm.
Old Jan 20th 2010, 12:20 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by porvera

We (2 adults & 2 children) are staying for 3 nights in March inc breakfast for around $150.00 per night.

This is smack bang in the centre, just off 5th Ave, so no need to travel in or out.

Porvera
Like almost all chains, Marriott rates are demand-based and move through a number of price buckets. That same room could easily go for $500 some nights this year and vary everywhere inbetween...

Also the higher end Marriotts (e.g. Marriott, Renaissance) will sometimes be cheaper than the lower ones (Courtyard, Residence Inn, Fairfield Inn).
Old Jan 20th 2010, 2:09 am
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by porvera

Porvera
Wow - I will check that out. I am travelling in March as well. I was thinking of bidding via priceline.com.
Old Jan 20th 2010, 2:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by E3only
Wow - I will check that out. I am travelling in March as well. I was thinking of bidding via priceline.com.
If you use priceline.com be sure to read the sites others have posted that teach you how to bid. You can get great deals but it helps to understand their system going in.
Old Jan 20th 2010, 4:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Kaffy Mintcake
If you use priceline.com be sure to read the sites others have posted that teach you how to bid. You can get great deals but it helps to understand their system going in.
Thanks, yes I will not be booking anything until I have gone through this thread and read up a bit. The bed bug reg thingi scared the hell out of me!! Some of the hotel named there are top market hotels here in Sydney
Old Jan 23rd 2010, 6:12 am

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

How long are you planning onstaying in NYC? There are weekly and monthly apartment rentals as well that work out cheaper than staying in a hotel. If you want to come to NYC stay in NYC and not in New Jersey. What area of town do you want to stay in? If you narrow that down I can help you as well.Also have you looked into package air/hotel deals or have you already booked your flight?
Old Jan 23rd 2010, 8:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by penguinbar
How long are you planning onstaying in NYC? There are weekly and monthly apartment rentals as well that work out cheaper than staying in a hotel. If you want to come to NYC stay in NYC and not in New Jersey. What area of town do you want to stay in? If you narrow that down I can help you as well.Also have you looked into package air/hotel deals or have you already booked your flight?
Thanks a lot. I am flying into NYC from LA. Flights inward to LA are booked but not beyond to NYC>

Plan to stay between 5-7 days. Not sure of the area/town. I know nothing about NYC to that detail anyway. Friends recommend me to stay around either times square of emp state bldg. ..

Cheers.
Old Jan 23rd 2010, 6:01 pm

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

I would try and get a package deal on hotels and airfare from LA to NYC. It will probably be alot cheaper than booking hotel and airfare seperately. Also feel free to PM me with any questions.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.