Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

value of the pound against the Dollar

value of the pound against the Dollar

Old Sep 26th 2022, 9:17 am
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: value of the pound against the Dollar

Originally Posted by Nypool1e
Although I’ve recently returned to the UK I still have a US bank account with a nice amount in it & looking at the falling pound against the dollar I’m looking into transferring the US funds to the UK before Sterling goes back up, will I be taxed on the transfer in the future, also will I set off alarm bells with the IRS for transferring a substantial amount. I have transferred money before from the US to the UK without any repercussions.
Absolutely no problem in transfers of large amounts from the US to the UK. This year I transferred $50k in a lump sum to buy a new car and do some house improvements.

If you then transfer the money back to take advantage of moving exchange rates then you may be subject to taxes on exchange rate gains but I have no idea what gap is needed between transfers to avoid that.
Old Sep 26th 2022, 9:22 am
Forum Regular

Hanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dmac_
Well, this is truly depressing. Looks like I need to keep the GBP in the UK for the forseeable future.

Are there any financial experts anyone uses who are aware of the specific requirements of UK expats living in the US? I know that having a large amount of cash in a foreign currency is another layer of complexity.
I’ll start by saying I’m not a financial expert. I do know that if you have money in non US accounts but you live in the US, then you may have tax to pay in the countries where the money is (on interest earned), and you are expected to declare the accounts and values held in a Foreign Bank Account Report (FBAR)

You are required to file FinCEN Form 114 (an FBAR) if the combined balance of all the foreign accounts you own or have a financial interest or signature authority is more than $10,000 at any point during the calendar year. Look up FBAR in a search engine for more info.

If it’s money in a UK account paying interest, then you may need to pay tax to UK HMRC. You report the income in a self assessment tax return in the UK. You may have been taxed at source by the bank/financial institution but you can have that stopped if you live outside the UK and then pay the taxes due when you file your UK return (if you earn enough to require a payment of tax to HMRC). I believe that if you do pay tax on the interest in the UK, then you report that payment in your US IRS tax return because a dual taxation treaty exists and the IRS won’t expect US taxes to be paid on income you already paid tax on in the UK.

I think that’s the layer of complexity you mentioned? Others may have additional information or corrections!

See Pulaski’s reply above for thoughts on financial gain from selling GBP for USD. In my scenario I earned money in USD, and I’m making a one time move from USD to GBP for a financial transaction in the UK (to pay off a debt at the end of a loan period). In my case I believe no “gain” to report as income, in terms of the purchase of GBP using my USD.
Old Sep 26th 2022, 9:58 am
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hanco
If it’s money in a UK account paying interest, then you may need to pay tax to UK HMRC. You report the income in a self assessment tax return in the UK. You may have been taxed at source by the bank/financial institution but you can have that stopped if you live outside the UK and then pay the taxes due when you file your UK return (if you earn enough to require a payment of tax to HMRC). I believe that if you do pay tax on the interest in the UK, then you report that payment in your US IRS tax return because a dual taxation treaty exists and the IRS won’t expect US taxes to be paid on income you already paid tax on in the UK.
You should not be paying UK tax on bank interest and can file a form with the bank (R43?) if you are not resident in the UK to stop them deducting taxes.

If you need to reclaim taxes already paid on bank interest then I don't believe you need to file a self assessment with HMRC but instead can send in form R40 to get that tax refunded. You can do it by post or online if you have a UK Government Gateway account.
https://www.gov.uk/government/public...nvestments-r40
Old Sep 26th 2022, 10:54 am
Forum Regular

Hanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by durham_lad
You should not be paying UK tax on bank interest and can file a form with the bank (R43?) if you are not resident in the UK to stop them deducting taxes.

If you need to reclaim taxes already paid on bank interest then I don't believe you need to file a self assessment with HMRC but instead can send in form R40 to get that tax refunded. You can do it by post or online if you have a UK Government Gateway account.
https://www.gov.uk/government/public...nvestments-r40
To be clear, I was not saying you definitely need to pay tax to HMRC. You’re right about the stopping of tax deductions by the bank, but just to be clear, that does not mean you don’t have to pay tax to HMRC.

For example, if you have a UK income, such as salary or property rental income. If your total income exceeds the lower earnings limit, including any interest earned on UK accounts, then you have a UK tax liability to pay, even if you’ve informed your bank you’re non resident and they stop deducting the tax at source.

I don’t think durham_lad is saying that you won’t have taxes to pay on interest earned. I’m just making it clear I wasn’t saying you must pay tax on it, but it depends on the total income you have in the UK.
Old Sep 26th 2022, 12:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Hanco
To be clear, I was not saying you definitely need to pay tax to HMRC. You’re right about the stopping of tax deductions by the bank, but just to be clear, that does not mean you don’t have to pay tax to HMRC.

For example, if you have a UK income, such as salary or property rental income. If your total income exceeds the lower earnings limit, including any interest earned on UK accounts, then you have a UK tax liability to pay, even if you’ve informed your bank you’re non resident and they stop deducting the tax at source.

I don’t think durham_lad is saying that you won’t have taxes to pay on interest earned. I’m just making it clear I wasn’t saying you must pay tax on it, but it depends on the total income you have in the UK.
Yes, I should have been more clear. Thanks for the correction.

More info here

https://www.gov.uk/tax-uk-income-live-abroad

You usually have to pay tax on your UK income even if you’re not a UK resident. Income includes things like:
  • pension
  • rental income
  • savings interest
  • wages
If you’re eligible for a Personal Allowance you pay Income Tax on your income above that amount. Otherwise, you pay tax on all your income.

The country where you live might tax you on your UK income. If it has a ‘double-taxation agreement’ with the UK, you can claim tax relief in the UK to avoid being taxed twice.

Old Oct 11th 2022, 2:36 pm
Forum Regular

Nypool1e has a reputation beyond reputeNypool1e has a reputation beyond reputeNypool1e has a reputation beyond reputeNypool1e has a reputation beyond reputeNypool1e has a reputation beyond reputeNypool1e has a reputation beyond reputeNypool1e has a reputation beyond reputeNypool1e has a reputation beyond reputeNypool1e has a reputation beyond reputeNypool1e has a reputation beyond reputeNypool1e has a reputation beyond repute

I wanted to transfer funds from my bank in the US to my bank in the UK. My bank sent me instructions saying I should use Zelle international transfer, unfortunately all I could see was for domestic transfer within the US, I shall keep trying.
Old Oct 11th 2022, 3:19 pm
Furby

Glasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Use Wise.com, it’s easy and has the best rates.
Old Oct 11th 2022, 3:50 pm
Forum Regular

Nypool1e has a reputation beyond reputeNypool1e has a reputation beyond reputeNypool1e has a reputation beyond reputeNypool1e has a reputation beyond reputeNypool1e has a reputation beyond reputeNypool1e has a reputation beyond reputeNypool1e has a reputation beyond reputeNypool1e has a reputation beyond reputeNypool1e has a reputation beyond reputeNypool1e has a reputation beyond reputeNypool1e has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your response Glasgow girl. I noticed one of the other posters on here durhamlad uses Wise. May I ask, how does Wise work? Do I go on their website & open an account & then transfer funds to Wise? Before I go down that route I’m going to give my bank another try as I’ve sent significant amounts of money to the UK before & because I’m a preferred account holder they never charge a fee to transfer. Once again, thanks.
Old Oct 11th 2022, 4:16 pm
Forum Regular

Zelle is not an option as far as I know.

WISE is good. Open an account, download the Wise.com app too. Follow their process. It’s good, secure, and fast.
Old Oct 11th 2022, 4:53 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nypool1e
.... I’m going to give my bank another try as I’ve sent significant amounts of money to the UK before & because I’m a preferred account holder they never charge a fee to transfer. Once again, thanks.
Your bank may have "never charged a fee", but the exchange rate applied to your transfer may be disadvantageous, or worse.

I have heard that HSBC is like that, and that you end up with more currency at the other end if you use a transfer service like Wise, than using a bank transfer "with no fee charged".

This may not be true if you're transferring big bucks, say $100k+ at a time, and your bank is applying a "dealing desk rate", which is often competitive with online FX broker-remitters.

To get a definitive answer you would need to set up two transfers side by side at the same time, then see which one will put more money in your account, and only click to accept the one that credits your account with the most money.

Last edited by Pulaski; Oct 11th 2022 at 4:59 pm.
Old Oct 11th 2022, 5:11 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Your bank may have "never charged a fee", but the exchange rate applied to your transfer may be disadvantageous, or worse.

I have heard that HSBC is like that, and that you end up with more currency at the other end if you use a transfer service like Wise, than using a bank transfer "with no fee charged".

This may not be true if you're transferring big bucks, say $100k+ at a time, and your bank is applying a "dealing desk rate", which is often competitive with online FX broker-remitters.

To get a definitive answer you would need to set up two transfers side by side at the same time, then see which one will put more money in your account, and only click to accept the one that credits your account with the most money.
With HSBC it depends on 2 things:

- what time you do it, you get a worse rate evenings and weekends.
- the amount, worse rate, but no fees so vs one with a fixed / minimum fee it can work out cheaper for small transfers.

for larger payments a better rate will make up for any fixed / minimum fees.

the upside with HSBC is it’s instant, send on US account, refresh’s and it’s in UK, unlike an ACH which may take longer.

have had no need to do any significant transfer in years now, mainly class 2 nic so use HSBC, but would compare the rates / fees vs Wise if I was going to: https://atlantic.money/gb
Old Oct 11th 2022, 8:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Pulaski

Exactly. I have done this many times with 2 windows open at the same time, HSBC and Wise. Wise is always significantly more GBPs into my UK HSBC account.

Originally Posted by tht
With HSBC it depends on 2 things:

- what time you do it, you get a worse rate evenings and weekends.
- the amount, worse rate, but no fees so vs one with a fixed / minimum fee it can work out cheaper for small transfers.

for larger payments a better rate will make up for any fixed / minimum fees.

the upside with HSBC is it’s instant, send on US account, refresh’s and it’s in UK, unlike an ACH which may take longer.

have had no need to do any significant transfer in years now, mainly class 2 nic so use HSBC, but would compare the rates / fees vs Wise if I was going to: https://atlantic.money/gb
using the Wise app is also almost instantaneous these days. In fact I just did a transfer today. I initiated a transfer a couple of days ago with my brokerage. I can choose my HSBC US account or my Wise account, and I chose my Wise account, ACH transfer. I got a notification from my Wise app that money had arrived into the account so a few clicks later and the transfer to my UK HSBC account was initiated and it took about 10 seconds to arrive.
Old Oct 14th 2022, 4:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Totally agree that Wise is the way to go - I've used them ever since they were a startup and they have since matured into something much more than just a straightforward foreign exchange co. Its very easy to hold multiple currencies within the account for instance, and transfer between these sub accounts as you like (although I never hold too much in it....as they do say, they are not a bank and not FDIC insured). They also have a debit card (which I typically use when I'm back in UK on visits which is well integrated with the phone app), they allow direct payments from other people or businesses in several major currencies direct into your Wise account, and even have some investment options and business account services (neither of which I am likely to make use but may be interest to some). Their apps and tech integration seems to be top notch, and its nice to see the level of innovation they have come up with over the last decade or so to set themselves apart from others.

I'd also echo the above posters warnings about those 'we never charge a fee' big banks....yeah sure they don't...instead they absolutely batter uniformed people on the exchange rate and to add insult to injury sometimes come up with all manner of interesting wire fees when money is in transit.
Old Oct 14th 2022, 11:52 pm
Forum Regular

vespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dan725
..I'd also echo the above posters warnings about those 'we never charge a fee' big banks....yeah sure they don't...instead they absolutely batter uniformed people on the exchange rate..
True.
Old Oct 18th 2022, 10:39 pm
Just Joined

Sq25394 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lansbury
The triple lock is suppose to be reinstated this year.
Liz is starting to saying 'no commitment '

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.