Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Used vs new car

Used vs new car

Old Oct 17th 2014, 9:31 am
Forum Regular

andrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Used vs new car

A bit off topic but what's the deal with buying a car/truck out of state? Did I read on here that as long as you can prove you paid tax in the state you purchased the car/truck from then you don't have to pay it again in your home state? Or is that completely wrong?
Old Oct 17th 2014, 10:50 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andrewlohnes
A bit off topic but what's the deal with buying a car/truck out of state? Did I read on here that as long as you can prove you paid tax in the state you purchased the car/truck from then you don't have to pay it again in your home state? Or is that completely wrong?
You do only pay the tax once. I am not sure exactly how it works.
Old Oct 17th 2014, 1:32 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

All depends on the state you buy from and where you register it.

It'll range from you pay tax in state where you buy it and don't when you register it in your state, not paying in the state of purchase with proof you'll register it out of state and paying tax there, paying tax in both states (at purchase and when registering) and claiming a refund from one or the other state at tax time.

So it can be easy or a hassle, but in the end, you'll only pay tax the once but it can get more complicated if you buy and pay tax in a state that is lower than the state you register it in as they may want you to pay the difference in tax to them if you haven't paid the full tax at time of registering the car, then again they might not.
Old Oct 17th 2014, 4:09 pm
Account Closed

Uncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately you don’t pay the auto sales tax of the state you buy the car in, but the auto sales tax of the state you register it in. So, if you live in New York, for example, and buy a used vehicle in New Hampshire, a state without sales tax, you still must pay New York’s sales tax.
Old Oct 17th 2014, 6:22 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Generally speaking, the state taxes are collected at time of registration. So, that will be in the state of where the car will live. I think there is some procedure that is often in place to obtain temporary tags to drive the car to its new home.
Old Oct 18th 2014, 2:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TransnationalElite
Would there be any price advantage in buying from New Hampshire as opposed to buying in Massachusetts? Either old or new? Would be living in MA.
We bought in NH rather than ME because there was more choice there. I doubt that would apply if you're going to be in MA though.
Old Oct 18th 2014, 11:08 pm
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all the great truck info.

Soooo, I spent this afternoon at the Ford dealer. Got credit checked etc, and the only thing they offered in my realistic price range ($1000 down/$300/per month) is a dodge.

Somebody stop me - I might actually go back and buy it tomorrow, I really liked it

Found it online aftewards here.

Dodge-y Link
Old Oct 19th 2014, 12:25 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RICH
Thanks for all the great truck info.

Soooo, I spent this afternoon at the Ford dealer. Got credit checked etc, and the only thing they offered in my realistic price range ($1000 down/$300/per month) is a dodge.

Somebody stop me - I might actually go back and buy it tomorrow, I really liked it. ....
If you must, be sure to join AAA.

I see it "features" a solid rear axle! Woo hoo!
Old Oct 19th 2014, 12:28 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

What's the warranty are they offering on it?

If you're not going to haul anything at all in it and it's just to drive around town then Ram will probably do, but they have a terrible tranny, so if you're going to do more than the weekly rubbish run in the thing, you've got to budget getting the tranny fixed and the suspension replaced.

It's the middle of the month too, so you'll probably find better deals if you give it another couple of weeks, Halloween is the last Friday, so try then.
Old Oct 19th 2014, 12:31 am

Originally Posted by Bob
...., Halloween is the last Friday, so try then.
Buying a Dodge ..... the ultimate "trick or treat"!
Old Oct 19th 2014, 12:46 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
If you must, be sure to join AAA.

I see it "features" a solid rear axle! Woo hoo!
Saw that. Do you read that to mean it doesn't have a limited slip diff. That might be bad. I just read it as robust axle. (whatever that means).
Old Oct 19th 2014, 1:06 am

Originally Posted by RICH
Saw that. Do you read that to mean it doesn't have a limited slip diff. That might be bad. I just read it as robust axle. (whatever that means).
Neither. It has a diff, but the "solid rear axle" is the opposite of "independent rear suspension", so if your right rear wheel goes into a pothole (hypothetically, because I hear that Florida's roads are well maintainted ), then not only does the right rear suspension get a jolt, but the downward movement of the right wheel is transmitted to the left rear wheel, as an upward motion and it also gets yanked to the right for good measure.

Honestly it's nothing to worry about because ALL trucks (I think ) have a solid rear axle, as did almost all Mustangs manufactured prior to four months ago. The first time I let the left rear wheel of my Mustang drop into a sunken drain on a "parkway" (a semi-rural, very narrow, very windy, very fast, no HGVs, dual carriageway) in New York I got a bit of a shock!

FWIW 4x4 trucks have a solid axle at the front too, and therefore handle atrociously!

Last edited by Pulaski; Oct 19th 2014 at 1:13 am.
Old Oct 19th 2014, 1:30 am
BE Irregular

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Neither. It has a diff, but the "solid rear axle" is the opposite of "independent rear suspension", so if your right rear wheel goes into a pothole (hypothetically, because I hear that Florida's roads are well maintainted ), then not only does the right rear suspension get a jolt, but the downward movement of the right wheel is transmitted to the left rear wheel, as an upward motion and it also gets yanked to the right for good measure.

Honestly it's nothing to worry about because ALL trucks (I think ) have a solid rear axle, as did almost all Mustangs manufactured prior to four months ago. The first time I let the left rear wheel of my Mustang drop into a sunken drain on a "parkway" (a semi-rural, very narrow, very windy, very fast, no HGVs, dual carriageway) in New York I got a bit of a shock!

FWIW 4x4 trucks have a solid axle at the front too, and therefore handle atrociously!
Got it. I understand the mechanics, just bemused by the meaning of words used sometimes.
Old Oct 19th 2014, 10:04 am
Forum Regular

andrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond repute

Is it the 3.7 V6 or V8? It's says both in the ad. I quite like it but unlike these other gentlemen have never owned or driven 1. "buying a dodge: the ultimate trick or treat"
Old Oct 19th 2014, 11:20 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Is it the 3.7 V6 or V8? It's says both in the ad. I quite like it but unlike these other gentlemen have never owned or driven 1. "buying a dodge: the ultimate trick or treat"
I'm lucky not to own one, but FIL, his boss bought a fleet of them a few years ago and I've driven a couple of them for FIL, out to the woods and over some log roads.

Put it this way, the boss got a great deal on them at the time and they're on the last one that's on it's last legs and he's never getting any more again. He got I think 6 or so, 1500/2500 and the first one to die didn't even last a year and the fleet is barely 3 maybe tapping 4 years old? One had an engine fall out, the others have had numerous trannies and suspension die on them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.