USA summer

Old Apr 3rd 2018, 11:12 pm
Just Joined

adamc14 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default USA summer

I have a girlfriend who lives in America and am looking to spend as substantial an amount of time over there as possible from June (ish) time onwards. I don't think camp work is ideal as I wouldn't actually see her, or even like 7 weeks without regular contact even. I was wondering as to the best routes for seeing her (she is beginning a new job) at all for the upcoming months. Would it be to just go on holiday? |(I worry about going for too long without any work as it may be financially impractical, and also dull with her out at work herself).

I would appreciate any advice from people far more knowledgeable than I on the subject.
Old Apr 3rd 2018, 11:18 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: USA summer

Originally Posted by adamc14
I have a girlfriend who lives in America and am looking to spend as substantial an amount of time over there as possible from June (ish) time onwards. I don't think camp work is ideal as I wouldn't actually see her, or even like 7 weeks without regular contact even. I was wondering as to the best routes for seeing her (she is beginning a new job) at all for the upcoming months. Would it be to just go on holiday? |(I worry about going for too long without any work as it may be financially impractical, and also dull with her out at work herself).

I would appreciate any advice from people far more knowledgeable than I on the subject.
Welcome to BE.

You can visit the UK for 90 days without a visa. Come for however long you can afford to stay. Remember you will not be allowed to work at all...even cash in hand bar/gardening jobs. Doing so could result in being banned from entering the US.
Old Apr 4th 2018, 1:26 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Welcome to BE.

You can visit the UK for 90 days without a visa. Come for however long you can afford to stay. Remember you will not be allowed to work at all...even cash in hand bar/gardening jobs. Doing so could result in being banned from entering the US.

I believe that Jerseygirl meant you would visit the US for up to 90 days (plan on leaving on the 87 day so not to incur a ban for overstaying if your flight is delayed).

If she is working then you can't obviously spend 24/7 with her whether you were here as a camp counselor on a J-1 or not. Sorry can't offer you any other method to get you here for more than 90 days under the VWP nor can we get her a leave of absence from her employment.
Old Apr 4th 2018, 2:55 am
Banned

Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute

It’s a situation that’s all too familiar for many of us. Want to spend time together but funds and time off work are limited. We’ve all survived. I spent almost 5 years flying back and forth every opportunity I got. For us, frequent short visits were better than fewer long visits. It helped the time go by. It’s all a distant memory now that I’ve been living here 15.5 months.

Have you met in person before? If not, you might want to go for a shorter visit or a changeable ticket just to be on the safe side.
Old Apr 4th 2018, 11:14 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

I was wondering as to the best routes for seeing her (she is beginning a new job) at all for the upcoming months.
90 days on VWP, do not attempt back to back trips, stay out of the US for as long as you are in before attempting re-entry.

That's your only option. You will not get a B2 visitor visa.
Old Apr 4th 2018, 12:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Maste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond repute

Save up, go on holiday to visit her. I visited my now wife on an ESTA for 8 weeks back in 2016. Wasn't asked too much at the POE. They did ask how I planned to afford an 8 week vacation in the USA, but I said I had saved up money, I was staying with a friend. Then they asked how much I had, I told and I was on my way.