Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

US Taxes introduced 2-step authentication

US Taxes introduced 2-step authentication

Old Jun 6th 2023, 2:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US Taxes introduced 2-step authentication

Originally Posted by morpeth
I agree more and more common in the UK, and perhaps more so than in the US.
The EU legislated strong authentication for banks back in 2019 and strong authentication means better than a text message hence many banks switched away from security codes via phone text messages. (My HSBC UK and US bank both now use authentication from within their banking app). Phone SIM cards are too easily hacked which is why the change was mandated by the EU.

https://www.aibms.com/help/risk-comp...0be%20required.

Strong Customer Authentication (SCA) is required on all electronic payments within the European Economic Area (EEA) that are cardholder initiated. This means for every transaction where both the cardholder bank and the merchant is located within the EEA region, SCA will be required.
Old Jun 6th 2023, 4:25 pm
Just Joined

AmCit is an unknown quantity at this point

You could try NumberBarn.com or PhoneClub.com. I haven't come across a US gov site yet (including the IRS) that blocks virtual numbers such as Google Voice and NumberBarn, although some private sector entities do block them.

Last edited by AmCit; Jun 6th 2023 at 4:42 pm.
Old Jun 6th 2023, 4:26 pm
Forum Regular

USADragon is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by durham_lad
I use my online IRS account to view my tax returns and to make payments, my actual filing is too complex for IRS free file and joint income with my wife too high.

You are possibly too wealthy to file online with the IRS.

https://www.irs.gov/filing/e-file-options

https://www.irs.gov/filing/free-file...taxes-for-free

You don't actually file directly from your IRS account, you still need to file using software. (Unlike the UK equivalent where you can file directly through your HMRC account without additional software)
I used the IRS free fillable forms this year. You don't use any software. You pull up the forms you need, complete online, and upload directly to the IRS. There's no help, so you have to be comfortable filling your own forms. You can only file a federal return this way. https://www.irs.gov/e-file-providers...fillable-forms
Old Jun 6th 2023, 5:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by USADragon
I used the IRS free fillable forms this year. You don't use any software. You pull up the forms you need, complete online, and upload directly to the IRS. There's no help, so you have to be comfortable filling your own forms. You can only file a federal return this way. https://www.irs.gov/e-file-providers...fillable-forms
good info, thanks.
Old Jun 7th 2023, 8:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute

There is also freetaxusa, which is more like the sold tax packages in style. It bugs you every now and then to pay for upgrades, but you don't have to, you still get all of the big functions for free.
Old Jun 17th 2023, 8:01 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Have any of you in the UK tried using something like Talkatone and getting a US mobile phone number so you can use that? It's an app. I wanted to get it but want to get some reviews on it from people who've tried it first.
I've had a problem doing IRS stuff over the years now I'm back in UK and like someone else said this needing to ID yourself is getting more common.
We have used H&R block for free federal filing for two years and used Turbo tax before that.
Old Jun 17th 2023, 9:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Have any of you in the UK tried using something like Talkatone and getting a US mobile phone number so you can use that? It's an app. I wanted to get it but want to get some reviews on it from people who've tried it first.
I've had a problem doing IRS stuff over the years now I'm back in UK and like someone else said this needing to ID yourself is getting more common.
We have used H&R block for free federal filing for two years and used Turbo tax before that.
Just this week on the UK-Yankee forum someone reported great success using free fillable forms to file her taxes and used Talkatone to receive the 2FA text message. For myself I use id.me with my IRS account which was a pain to set up a couple of years ago but works great.
Old Jun 17th 2023, 12:03 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

I'll have to have a look at id.me. If I knew what I was doing I think using the free fillable forms would work well. However I tried doing taxes on time by myself the we were still in the US, nice and easy so I was told. I booked in with the accountant after trying to figure it all out. Math has never been my strong point even with a calculator. How I passed my Medical maths test 100% needed to pass so I could get my UK nurse PIN back, I will never know.

Last edited by Mummy in the foothills; Jun 17th 2023 at 12:05 pm.