Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

US Taxes introduced 2-step authentication

US Taxes introduced 2-step authentication

Old Jun 4th 2023, 12:24 pm
Forum Regular

SadInStates is an unknown quantity at this point
Default US Taxes introduced 2-step authentication

My adult kids are trying to do their US taxes but it seems they have now introduced a 2-step authentication and need a US mobile number to send the verification code to. We've had no connection with the US for over 10 years since moving back and they only have UK mobile numbers which aren't accepted.
Is there any way around this without having to resort to doing it on paper and sending it all by post?

TIA
Old Jun 4th 2023, 3:14 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US Taxes introduced 2-step authentication

I'm in the US with a US cell phone but the phone is an old phone and I can't change my old account with IRS over to the new format because my phone will not send them the photo of my passport. So I just continue to either use a tax accountant and then mail in the return or use Turbo Tax and file through them or just download the required forms, print them out and then mail them in. I don't have between $800 and $1,000 upward to spend on a smart phone when I only use it for emergency calls. If IRS wants my money, then they can get it the old way.

Last edited by Rete; Jun 4th 2023 at 5:01 pm.
Old Jun 4th 2023, 3:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

I live in the UK and don’t have a US mobile phone number either but set up my IRS account using id.me as the authentication. This does require a smart phone to have the id.me app.

https://www.irs.gov/identity-theft-fraud-scams/identity-and-tax-return-verification-service

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p5507.pdf

https://www.irs.gov/

Last edited by durham_lad; Jun 4th 2023 at 4:01 pm.
Old Jun 4th 2023, 6:45 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by durham_lad
I live in the UK and don’t have a US mobile phone number either but set up my IRS account using id.me as the authentication. This does require a smart phone to have the id.me app.

https://www.irs.gov/identity-theft-fraud-scams/identity-and-tax-return-verification-service

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p5507.pdf

https://www.irs.gov/
Thanks Durham_lad. My son tried that, but they wanted him to be seen (video chat) holding his social security card - which has long since been lost! He has the number handwritten on his childhood immunization card, but that is not accepted. Neither kid needs to pay any taxes so there is no way they are going to pay an accountant to file for them.
There has been some sort of problem every single time time since they started needing to file. One has now renounced this year and the other is in the queue. It can't come quickly enough to be rid of this annual headache!
Old Jun 4th 2023, 7:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SadInStates
Thanks Durham_lad. My son tried that, but they wanted him to be seen (video chat) holding his social security card - which has long since been lost! He has the number handwritten on his childhood immunization card, but that is not accepted. Neither kid needs to pay any taxes so there is no way they are going to pay an accountant to file for them.
There has been some sort of problem every single time time since they started needing to file. One has now renounced this year and the other is in the queue. It can't come quickly enough to be rid of this annual headache!
Yes, I did need to show my SS card, both sides, in my video chat. Good luck with the renunciation, definitely something I would do if it was a realistic option.
Old Jun 4th 2023, 9:02 pm
Forum Regular

Yes, I did need to show my SS card, both sides, in my video chat. Good luck with the renunciation, definitely something I would do if it was a realistic option.
Husband & I renounced as soon as we could - best decision ever! But now the kids are getting to earning age and the stress has started all over again!
Looks like they are going to be sending in paper forms - which of course could be from anyone!
So they won't allow an unverified person submit their taxes online, but are quite happy for the same unverified person to submit it by post! As if anyone else is going to file taxes for them!
Old Jun 4th 2023, 9:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Husband & I renounced as soon as we could - best decision ever! But now the kids are getting to earning age and the stress has started all over again!
Looks like they are going to be sending in paper forms - which of course could be from anyone!
So they won't allow an unverified person submit their taxes online, but are quite happy for the same unverified person to submit it by post! As if anyone else is going to file taxes for them!

This new regime affects e-filing as well. My son files from the UK using my download of TurboTax but this year the IRS required a PIN they issue each year (I got one issued from my IRS account easily enough). He tried to create an IRS account but failed for various reasons and had to send in a paper copy. He has no US income and excludes all his UK earnings so he has only a few pounds in interest to report so pays zero US taxes and doesn’t have to file a UK self assessment tax return. His sister has now moved back from California so really has no reason to hold onto his US citizenship so I expect he will also renounce eventually.
Old Jun 5th 2023, 12:40 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

I’m puzzled by this whole thread.

I’ve filed US taxes for thirty or forty years, almost always manually (paper & pencil, fill in the paper forms in my best handwriting, send it in snail mail.) Two or three times I’ve used TurboTax. I didn’t realize you could create an online account with the IRS? So you can file online with the IRS, on their own system, for free? Totally bypassing commercial utilities like TurboTax?

Old Jun 5th 2023, 12:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by robin1234
I’m puzzled by this whole thread.

I’ve filed US taxes for thirty or forty years, almost always manually (paper & pencil, fill in the paper forms in my best handwriting, send it in snail mail.) Two or three times I’ve used TurboTax. I didn’t realize you could create an online account with the IRS? So you can file online with the IRS, on their own system, for free? Totally bypassing commercial utilities like TurboTax?
I use my online IRS account to view my tax returns and to make payments, my actual filing is too complex for IRS free file and joint income with my wife too high.

You are possibly too wealthy to file online with the IRS.

https://www.irs.gov/filing/e-file-options

• Use IRS Free File if your adjusted gross income is $73,000 or less.
  • If you are comfortable doing your own taxes, try Free File Fillable Forms.
https://www.irs.gov/filing/free-file...taxes-for-free

You don't actually file directly from your IRS account, you still need to file using software. (Unlike the UK equivalent where you can file directly through your HMRC account without additional software)
IRS Free File lets qualified taxpayers prepare and file federal income tax returns online using guided tax preparation software. It’s safe, easy and no cost to you. Those who don’t qualify can still use Free File Fillable Forms.

Individual tax filers, regardless of income, can use IRS Free File to electronically request an automatic tax-filing extension.
Old Jun 5th 2023, 1:13 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

I use my online IRS account to view my tax returns and to make payments, my actual filing is too complex for IRS free file and joint income with my wife too high.

You are possibly too wealthy to file online with the IRS.

https://www.irs.gov/filing/e-file-options

https://www.irs.gov/filing/free-file...taxes-for-free

You don't actually file directly from your IRS account, you still need to file using software. (Unlike the UK equivalent where you can file directly through your HMRC account without additional software)
Great explanation, thanks. I think I’ll create an account and see what’s in there. Over the years, my inertia in terms of investigating new ways of doing taxes has been fed by the simple fact that the easiest way of doing taxes is usually to do them exactly the same way I did them last year. Yeah, some of my processes are laborious and time-consuming, but at least I have known pathways to get to the desired result.
Old Jun 5th 2023, 5:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond repute

I also waved my original social security card at the camera when I set up my ID.me account. I find it extremely helpful.
Old Jun 5th 2023, 5:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

If you have a SS account it is easy to get a replacement SS card. My wife and I did this a couple of years ago from England.

https://faq.ssa.gov/en-us/Topic/arti...y%20to%20apply.

Old Jun 6th 2023, 12:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Doesn't H & R Block offer free online Federal tax filing ?

US Tax reporting requirements cost much bother and cost,let alone trying to understand the myriad of rules- and the cost to the IRS of trying to administer it.

This two-factor authorization via mobile phones is becoming more and more a pain also with US banks and credit cards; and many UK banks or investment brokers either refuse or require extra documentation if one is a US citizen or has a US social security number.

Old Jun 6th 2023, 1:08 pm
Heading for Poppyland

Originally Posted by morpeth
Doesn't H & R Block offer free online Federal tax filing ?

US Tax reporting requirements cost much bother and cost,let alone trying to understand the myriad of rules- and the cost to the IRS of trying to administer it.

This two-factor authorization via mobile phones is becoming more and more a pain also with US banks and credit cards; and many UK banks or investment brokers either refuse or require extra documentation if one is a US citizen or has a US social security number.
As I understand it, free filing from commercial vendors is a bait & switch. Most filers will have to pay for the enhanced or deluxe service, just because they have a higher income or some complicated income source that isn’t covered in the “free version.”

The two-factor authentication is becoming more and more common with UK banks and credit cards too.
Old Jun 6th 2023, 1:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
As I understand it, free filing from commercial vendors is a bait & switch. Most filers will have to pay for the enhanced or deluxe service, just because they have a higher income or some complicated income source that isn’t covered in the “free version.”

The two-factor authentication is becoming more and more common with UK banks and credit cards too.
I agree more and more common in the UK, and perhaps more so than in the US.

I have a friend who uses H and R block and outside the US, very cost effective.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.