Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

US TAX UK Pension

US TAX UK Pension

Old Apr 20th 2017, 8:15 pm
Forum Regular

Carlisle401 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default US TAX UK Pension

I started receiving a small UK pension in 2016, approximately £ 44.00 per week. Does anyone know if the UK will let me know know how much I have received for the UK Tax year 2016/17. I don't pay tax on it in the UK. My other pension is a Norwegian pension which I receive an annual tax summary for.

The problem might be the UK's tax year is different from the US and Norway.
Old Apr 20th 2017, 9:44 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US TAX UK Pension

Originally Posted by Carlisle401
I started receiving a small UK pension in 2016, approximately £ 44.00 per week. Does anyone know if the UK will let me know know how much I have received for the UK Tax year 2016/17. I don't pay tax on it in the UK. My other pension is a Norwegian pension which I receive an annual tax summary for.

The problem might be the UK's tax year is different from the US and Norway.

Don't you have a record of what you received? Just total what came in the calendar year 2016 and declare that on your 2016 US tax return; you don't need any kind of statement from the UK. Total what comes in the calendar year 2017 and declare that on your 2017 US taxes, and so on and so on.
Old Apr 20th 2017, 9:47 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks, with my other pension I get paper work. I will check my bank statements and put that down.

Many thanks.
Old Apr 20th 2017, 9:49 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Carlisle401
Thanks, with my other pension I get paper work. I will check my bank statements and put that down.

Many thanks.

No problem. Now, all you have to worry about is the exchange rate!
Old Apr 20th 2017, 9:51 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
No problem. Now, all you have to worry about is the exchange rate!
It's the Norwegian that is over 30% down since I moved here. The UK is a bonus!
Old Apr 21st 2017, 7:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
Don't you have a record of what you received? Just total what came in the calendar year 2016 and declare that on your 2016 US tax return; you don't need any kind of statement from the UK. Total what comes in the calendar year 2017 and declare that on your 2017 US taxes, and so on and so on.
This is exactly what I do with my £51/week UK pension.
Old Apr 21st 2017, 7:35 pm
Forum Regular

I just got a letter saying my pension is increasing from £44 to £45 per week. Wow!