Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

US Medical Care V's UK NHS

US Medical Care V's UK NHS

Old May 2nd 2011, 5:14 pm
Guttural Brumerican

Titchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US Medical Care V's UK NHS

Originally Posted by Manc
Anyone know the score?

I think the NHS was winning on aggregate when I last heard.
Abandoned due to crowd trouble mate. The top boys from BUPA showed up and started badgering women and kids about top up insurance. Nasty stuff
Old May 2nd 2011, 5:18 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
If I do the same, the US system hands down beats the NHS one for speed, access, treatment, quality of care and options.
....and number of fountains.
Old May 2nd 2011, 8:48 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cliff1961
How the UK or US system works and how you are treated is entirely different.
What you need and what you get is entirely different.
cliff, the problem with using personal examples is that they are individual accounts and we can always find one more to support either side of the argument.
For example, my husband's previous wife was DXd with lung cancer. She had always lived in the UK and paid into the NHS. She was put on a waiting list, and died while waiting for treatment. In the meantime, she and the DH spent all of his pension lump sum on private treatment for her while waiting for the NHS.
This is a tragic and sad story but it is not necessarily representative of the entire system.

What I can tell you about the US is that insurance was affordable not so long ago, even for people like myself who are self employed. I can agree that the whole thing has gone out of balance and that there is no obvious solution. I can even agree that with your combined medical histories, which health delivery system to choose will be an important part of your immigration decisions.
However, a thread like this isn't going to answer *your* questions and really just serves to upset people so I am going to close it. If you have a specific question on how one system works vs the other, you're welcome to post again.