Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Claiming Tax back

Claiming Tax back

Old Sep 5th 2007, 3:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Mandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Claiming Tax back

Someone told me today that we can claim tax back on our purchases where we can provide reciepts

Tried to search on this, but found nothing.

Doubt it's correct as we're now resident - but no doubt someone here will know the full facts!

Thanks in advance

Old Sep 5th 2007, 3:04 am
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Claiming Tax back

Purchases such as?
Old Sep 5th 2007, 10:03 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

On your US income taxes, you can deduct sales tax paid on items instead of I think local income tax. But unless you bought something big (car) it isn't likely to exceed your state and local taxes so it isn't quite worth it.

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p600.pdf

Some shoddy stores in NY have been known to tell EU tourists they can 'claim the sales tax back at the airport' (just like it is with VAT in the EU) only to have tourists arrive at the airport and be stumped. They figure the guy is getting on a plane, who is he going to complain to. Don't shop from those gits.
Old Sep 5th 2007, 12:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinsix
On your US income taxes, you can deduct sales tax paid on items instead of I think local income tax. But unless you bought something big (car) it isn't likely to exceed your state and local taxes so it isn't quite worth it.

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p600.pdf

Some shoddy stores in NY have been known to tell EU tourists they can 'claim the sales tax back at the airport' (just like it is with VAT in the EU) only to have tourists arrive at the airport and be stumped. They figure the guy is getting on a plane, who is he going to complain to. Don't shop from those gits.
Thanks for that Penguin, I'll take a look at the link.

Thydney - I'm not sure exactly. I was buying something from Radioshack and it was the guy behind the counter who said about it. I think he thought I was a Brit on holiday (couldn't understand him very well, so didn't pursue the conversation) and he said that if I take my receipts for anything I buy to somewhere in the Galleria (big mall Downtown), they will give me the tax back!

Didn't stop to ask where in the mall, or what for exactly!

Oh, and he muttered something about my passport too!
Old Sep 5th 2007, 12:49 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mandana
Thanks for that Penguin, I'll take a look at the link.

Thydney - I'm not sure exactly. I was buying something from Radioshack and it was the guy behind the counter who said about it. I think he thought I was a Brit on holiday (couldn't understand him very well, so didn't pursue the conversation) and he said that if I take my receipts for anything I buy to somewhere in the Galleria (big mall Downtown), they will give me the tax back!

Didn't stop to ask where in the mall, or what for exactly!

Oh, and he muttered something about my passport too!
I've never heard of anything like that in the US...the UK and Canada yes but here no.

Even if it was it would only be for tourists...as a resident you could probably find yourself in trouble for tax fraud.
Old Sep 5th 2007, 12:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I've never heard of anything like that in the US...the UK and Canada yes but here no.

Even if it was it would only be for tourists...as a resident you could probably find yourself in trouble for tax fraud.
Well that was my first thought - that the guy assumed (should never assume - it makes an ASS out of U and ME) I was a tourist.

I knew I'd find the right answer on BE! (albeit I was hoping this guy was right lol)

Thanks guys
Old Sep 6th 2007, 4:05 pm
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I've never heard of anything like that in the US
I think Louisiana had a tax back for tourists scheme at one point, but very small. No idea if it's still there.