Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Education concerns

Education concerns

Old Sep 4th 2007, 10:31 pm
Just Joined

pestpod is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Education concerns

My Husband has just been offered a job in NY. The offer of a 4 year contract is a fantastic one and is hard to dismiss. We have two children, 5 and 8. Both attend a fantastic Prep School. The School is very academic and I am concerned about removing them from the UK system for 4 years as it may hamper the elder child's chance of getting into Public School on our return to the UK.
Has anyone done a similiar move. Do US Private Schools offer the same standards as UK Independents? Does the American system prepare a child for Public School/Grammer?
I am seriously contemplating staying back in the UK with the kids and my Husband "commuting" and us visiting during the Holidays in order to safeguard their future academically. However, we would rather stay together.
Any advice would be gratefully received.
Old Sep 4th 2007, 10:43 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Education concerns

Originally Posted by pestpod
My Husband has just been offered a job in NY. The offer of a 4 year contract is a fantastic one and is hard to dismiss. We have two children, 5 and 8. Both attend a fantastic Prep School. The School is very academic and I am concerned about removing them from the UK system for 4 years as it may hamper the elder child's chance of getting into Public School on our return to the UK.
Has anyone done a similiar move. Do US Private Schools offer the same standards as UK Independents? Does the American system prepare a child for Public School/Grammer?
I am seriously contemplating staying back in the UK with the kids and my Husband "commuting" and us visiting during the Holidays in order to safeguard their future academically. However, we would rather stay together.

just to say hello and welcome to BE

i've not put any kiddies through the school system so will leave that for some others to reply to. however i will say that being as your kiddies are so young and it's just for 4 yrs, it would be a great experience for them to live here and interact with american children.

good luck anyway.
Old Sep 4th 2007, 10:50 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by TruBrit
just to say hello and welcome to BE

i've not put any kiddies through the school system so will leave that for some others to reply to. however i will say that being as your kiddies are so young and it's just for 4 yrs, it would be a great experience for them to live here and interact with american children.

good luck anyway.
Thanks for the welcome and words of encouragement.
Old Sep 4th 2007, 10:58 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think you'll like American "public" schools. No uniform. The kids start later and the curriculum is rather different to the UK.

LOL - "prep" schools. Fags. Buggery. Elitism. What's not to love? By the way, grammar school has two A's.
Old Sep 4th 2007, 11:03 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

* See me. You're capitalizing nouns which aren't proper nouns. See, if you had attended a state school, you'd no doubt have known that. Also, 'Has anyone done a similiar move.' is a question and requires a question mark.

Anyway, snark aside, why are you worried that your kids wont get into hallowed "Public School"? If you have money, buy your way in.
Old Sep 4th 2007, 11:07 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE.

My daughter was 11 when we moved stateside. She went to private school in the UK and here. We thought she would be ahead of her classmates...instead we found the opposite in virtually all subjects. Be aware the schools here are much more expensive than the UK and you are expected to donate mega bucks each year.

Personally I think it would be a great experience for your children...the headmistress of my daughter's UK school said to same to us.
Old Sep 4th 2007, 11:09 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
* See me. You're capitalizing nouns which aren't proper nouns. See, if you had attended a state school, you'd no doubt have known that. Also, 'Has anyone done a similiar move.' is a question and requires a question mark.

Anyway, snark aside, why are you worried that your kids wont get into hallowed "Public School"? If you have money, buy your way in.
Was your post really necessary?
Old Sep 4th 2007, 11:10 pm
Peace onion

Anyone detect a chip on my shoulder?
Old Sep 4th 2007, 11:11 pm
Peace onion

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Was your post really necessary?
Yes, very necessary. I'm waging a one-man crusade on poor grammar, spelling and punctuation. It's tough, but someone has to do it.
Old Sep 4th 2007, 11:13 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, very necessary. I'm waging a one-man crusade on poor grammar, spelling and punctuation. It's tough, but someone has to do it.
Can you do it somewhere else, please!
Old Sep 4th 2007, 11:14 pm
Account Closed

[COLOR="Red"]If you have money, buy your way in.
i was going to add that to my post but you said it for me....money talks!
Old Sep 4th 2007, 11:14 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Please find another forum to play school teacher on.
Old Sep 4th 2007, 11:16 pm
Peace onion

What are you going to do? Ban me?
Old Sep 4th 2007, 11:17 pm
Account Closed

haha you're not alone, i think uncle eb is going on about apostrophes on one of his threads
Old Sep 4th 2007, 11:20 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Welcome to BE.

My daughter was 11 when we moved stateside. She went to private school in the UK and here. We thought she would be ahead of her classmates...instead we found the opposite in virtually all subjects. Be aware the schools here are much more expensive than the UK and you are expected to donate mega bucks each year.

Personally I think it would be a great experience for your children...the headmistress of my daughter's UK school said to same to us.
Do you feel that the move was good for your daughter. Does your daughter enjoy American School?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.