Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

US Health insurance

US Health insurance

Old Jun 18th 2015, 11:01 pm
Forum Regular

Disenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US Health insurance

Originally Posted by kins
$800 a month for health insurance for a family is not particularly expensive. I'd be surprised if you could find a reasonable policy for less. We have a high deductible policy and pay about that, and that's with my husband's premium subsidised by his employer.
A lot more than he's paying right now.

With respect to the leasing of a vehicle, It's been a while since I leased a car but I seem to recall them wanting maximum coverage, but that may have changed. Just bear in mind that here insurance companies readily salvage out vehicles that have been in accidents rather than repair them, when that happens you are on the hook for replacing the vehicle and you won't get much for the salvaged one.
Old Jun 19th 2015, 12:12 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

One of our cars came through a lease deal with international autosource. Worked fine for us although based on advice from this forum, we chose a bog-standard car with no wait time at all. Friend of ours ordered an Audi and ended up waiting months (and having to fork out for a hire car in the meantime). Remember that you must order your car through international autosource before you leave the UK

Another place to look for an expat lease deal is VW - we know someone who waited until he arrived here, got his SSN and then got his lease car from VW expat - he got a better deal than us for his Jetta.

$800 for health insurance for a family is not that far out unfortunately. Ours wouldn't be far off that without the company subsidising it.
Old Jun 19th 2015, 1:02 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

$800 seems cheap, presumably a high deductible plan.

Brokers do get paid through OCare, and there can well be a difference as the reimbursement rates are usually lower and therefore who will take it smaller. May be other factors as well.
Old Jun 19th 2015, 4:45 am
BE Forum Addict

kodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond repute

Our family Ocare plan is $715 for two adults in their mid-40s, 2 kids. That's a Bronze level PPO plan with a $6k/ $12k individual/ family deductible, ie, it's really only for check ups, preventative care, and catastrophes. It's HSA-compliant; out of pocket costs will come from there.
Old Jun 19th 2015, 8:28 am
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Disenchanted
A lot more than he's paying right now
My point is that they're unlikely to find much cheaper if they want to move to the US.
Old Jun 19th 2015, 3:24 pm
Forum Regular

Disenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kins
My point is that they're unlikely to find much cheaper if they want to move to the US.
I wasn't trying to disparage your statement, I'm just trying to point out that it's way more expensive here for auto insurance and good medical coverage let alone the cost of housing - especially in Orange County. I'm just commenting on how expensive it is to live here and the OP needs to know what he's in for before he get's here with his family.