Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

us citizen Divorce

us citizen Divorce

Old Jan 18th 2017, 10:56 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: us citizen Divorce

Originally Posted by gjpw
Thanks for advice. I'm hoping she will be content at it being straight forward. She wont want legal fees either. This thread got me more worried than I was
All I had is in my name only and yes I had it before I married.
You say she has completed forms she obtained online. When you receive them, have them reviewed by counsel to ensure there are no catches. When I was divorced I was served with forms bought at the stationery store, just to get it done fast. Neither of us wanted anything from the other. If you are lucky, she just wants to get out of this situation rapidly and is threatening what she might do if you don't sign and set her free, and is not actually asking for anything. Don't get too worried until you actually see the papers.
Old Jan 18th 2017, 11:45 pm
Just Joined

gjpw is an unknown quantity at this point

That's what I'm Hoping . I'm awaiting forms. Thanks for some words of hope
Old Jan 19th 2017, 1:45 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

has she ever been to the UK, or lived in the house?
Old Jan 19th 2017, 1:59 am
Just Joined

She Lived in uk a couple years but in a rented place. Never Lived with me in my place .We were just seeing each other. Then moved back to states. Any words of wisdom. All turned crap . So broken heart and could be stung it seems

Last edited by gjpw; Jan 19th 2017 at 2:08 am. Reason: sal
Old Jan 19th 2017, 2:20 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

She Lived in uk a couple years but in a rented place. Never Lived with me in my place .We were just seeing each other. Then moved back to states. Any words of wisdom. All turned crap . So broken heart and could be stung it seems
I think the words of wisdom so far have been good.

Sounds like she has been a jerk, which has made your initial action of marrying a large mistake.

So like others have said, put yourself as #1 and get good legal counsel who are experienced in US/UK assets.

Time to win this battle and come out on top. Screw any feelings you've had for her, it's game time.
Old Jan 19th 2017, 2:26 am
Just Joined

Yeah. I know I know. I loved her and her kids. Everything was ok but then bingo. Don't move over as I'm with someone new. BTW I want a divorce. Yep. A dummy I was but tbh didn't think about anything as was just too concerned about her cancer.
Old Jan 19th 2017, 2:30 am
Just Joined

I was quite looking forward to moving to the states lol
Don't think that will be happening any time soon
Old Jan 19th 2017, 2:56 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

One thing I don't quite understand is that you married 2 years ago but weren't going to do any paperwork to immigrate until later this year....but your purpose in marrying was to be with her kids if she passed away.

If she had passed away sometime in the past 2 years, you wouldn't have had any way of immigrating to the USA to stay with the kids anyway.

Rene
Old Jan 19th 2017, 3:08 am
Just Joined

I was going to bring the kids back here if the worst happened before I made it to states to get a visa. I would of had a fight on my hands with visas etc in Uk but she has no family what so ever so options were limited. Like I said when your in love It was very complicated and would of been tough . Very unique situation. Anyway shes doing fine now. Its me that has been used. Live and learn I could actually write a book on it all. That is if my grammar and spelling wasn't so sh**
I also couldn't go out before this year as I would of lost out on money from work commitments which I was to use to support until I found work and a lawyer for visa etc. Nothing was straight forward.

Last edited by gjpw; Jan 19th 2017 at 3:16 am. Reason: add
Old Jan 19th 2017, 3:19 am
Just Joined

Basically I'm going to have to wait on the forms and play it from there. She hopefully wont want anything. If morality actually kicks in
Old Jan 19th 2017, 5:00 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

... was just too concerned about her cancer.
Does she actually have cancer?

I was going to bring the kids back here if the worst happened before I made it to states to get a visa.
If you were to have legally adopted the children, then perhaps that might have worked. As a stepparent, however, I doubt you would have the right to remove them from US jurisdiction.

... she has no family what so ever so options were limited.
Really? No sibling? No parents? No aunts, uncles, cousins? No godparents to the children? No one?

Very unique situation.
Pedant Ian notes: unique means "one of a kind". Something can't be "very unique".

Anyway shes doing fine now.
So again, it begs the question of whether or not she actually has cancer!

Anyway - good luck to you!

Ian
Old Jan 19th 2017, 7:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

Ian sometimes has the reputation of being 'as subtle as a sledgehammer' and I am known to be blunt myself, so it may come as no surprise that I'm wondering a lot of the same things he is. The skeptic in me wonders...

1. Did she ever really have cancer in the first place?
2. You loved her, but did she actually love you or did she see this as a meal ticket?
3. Was the someone she 'met' in the picture from the very beginning?
4. It seems to me that you were being used from the off.

Side note, being 'very unique' is like being 'a little bit pregnant'! Unique is an absolute and there are no degrees of it. It's almost as much of a bugbear to me as the use of the word 'literally' in the wrong context, such as "I literally died on the spot"!!!!!
Old Jan 19th 2017, 11:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

PetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
One thing I don't quite understand is that you married 2 years ago but weren't going to do any paperwork to immigrate until later this year....but your purpose in marrying was to be with her kids if she passed away.

If she had passed away sometime in the past 2 years, you wouldn't have had any way of immigrating to the USA to stay with the kids anyway.

Rene

I concur with other suggestions (in addition to this great point I quoted), did you ever see any proof of cancer diagnosis?

Last edited by PetrifiedExPat; Jan 19th 2017 at 11:44 pm.