Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Can i add an American driver to my UK insurance?

Can i add an American driver to my UK insurance?

Old Dec 7th 2009, 8:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Madelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond repute
Default Can i add an American driver to my UK insurance?

Hi all, i wondered if anybody here had ever added a US citizen, visiting them in the UK, to their car insurance so they could use the car whilst here? i'd like my man to be able to drive my car when he visits..... yes i'll be calling them, but its 9pm now, and i was impatiently wondering, as i sat here in me pants watching QI

any tips appreciated!
(not about my pants)

xx
Old Dec 7th 2009, 8:35 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can i add an American driver to my UK insurance?

Originally Posted by Madelina
Hi all, i wondered if anybody here had ever added a US citizen, visiting them in the UK, to their car insurance so they could use the car whilst here? i'd like my man to be able to drive my car when he visits..... yes i'll be calling them, but its 9pm now, and i was impatiently wondering, as i sat here in me pants watching QI

any tips appreciated!
(not about my pants)

xx
You may have problems because he is not a UK resident. I had problems getting car insurance last year because I am not a resident...I could only find one obscure company to insure me. Saying that my sister added me temporarily onto her policy to drive her car...it took some fancy footwork but because it was my sister and I have a UK license they eventually agreed.
Old Dec 7th 2009, 8:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute

I put my yank wife on mine, but it does depend.

When I called they said no problem but she'd need to get a UK license within a year. On the website of the same insurance company, it said only UK license

I went with it and just prayed she wouldn't crash. She did crash, but "luckily" it was my car she hit when she reversed without looking properly

EDIT: Oh, we were both living there, so may not be as relevant. As an FYI, it was Churchill insurance.
Old Dec 7th 2009, 8:44 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hobbes79
I put my yank wife on mine, but it does depend.

When I called they said no problem but she'd need to get a UK license within a year. On the website of the same insurance company, it said only UK license

I went with it and just prayed she wouldn't crash. She did crash, but "luckily" it was my car she hit when she reversed without looking properly

EDIT: Oh, we were both living there, so may not be as relevant. As an FYI, it was Churchill insurance.
That's a point...you can use a foreign licence for a certain amount of time in the UK so you must be able to get insurance. I think the key word may well be 'resident'.
Old Dec 7th 2009, 9:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ginblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond repute

any tips appreciated!
(not about my pants)

xx
Yes, I have done this before when I used to work in personal lines insurance. A while ago granted, but can be done. Expect to pay additional premiums.
Old Dec 8th 2009, 8:48 pm
Forum Regular

jaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud of

any tips appreciated!
(not about my pants)

xx
Yep it can be done....i put my usc Mrs on my car insurance for 1 month and if i remember it was Tesco insurance company..all they wanted was her D/L Number and name....