Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Upping my credit score

Upping my credit score

Old Sep 21st 2016, 2:23 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Upping my credit score

Originally Posted by ldollard
..... So as an example, if you pay your bill on the 10th of the month, its not due till the 15th of the month, BUT your credit card company reports on the 9th of the month, your report will still be dinged, but only temporarily. .....
My credit cards are all reported to the credit agencies on (or at least "as at") the payment due date. I assumed that was the norm.
Old Sep 21st 2016, 2:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond repute

Most companies work that way, but some report on random days of the month.

With Chase credit cards if you clear your balance down to zero (including anything purchased since the previous statement) they do a mid-cycle report showing a zero balance which can be handy if you need to get your utilization down in a hurry.
Old Sep 21st 2016, 3:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

you need to try and keep the credit:debt ratio around 5% give or take a few percent. If it's too low it makes it appear that you are not experienced with credit, too high (over 30%) and it looks like you are over using credit. So timing is essential.

Make a payment to reduce the ratio just before the reporting date and then pay off the outstanding amount after the reporting date to keep interest down.

Once you get a credit score over 720 I don't think it really matters, just use your cards "normally" and the score will increase over time.
Old Sep 22nd 2016, 10:31 am
Forum Regular

MrSunu is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
Sorry it's still a bit unclear to me. So to summarise a strategy to build up your credit score and minimize the amount of interest paid. Providing you know the reporting date, (Which is not that obvious from previous posts, but should be the payment due date) one would:
- Utilize about 6% of the credit line a few days before the reporting date
- Then repay the credit line in full a few days after the reporting date.

This will ensure the optimum credit:debt ratio is reported to the credit bureaux, but minimises the interest by not carrying any credit for too long. The only caveat is that if you don't know the reporting date, the 6% credit:debt ratio needs to be carried continuously, which would pay off a fair amount of interest over a year...
Old Sep 22nd 2016, 11:17 am
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

If you are under 10% utilization you don't need to worry about paying before the reporting date.

Sign up with creditkarma or creditsesame and you will find lots of useful information about how to protect/improve your score.

Overall you need to always pay by the due date, don't keep applying for credit, and keep your utilization under 10%. Then only time can do the rest.
Old Sep 22nd 2016, 1:39 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic
If you are under 10% utilization you don't need to worry about paying before the reporting date.

Sign up with creditkarma or creditsesame and you will find lots of useful information about how to protect/improve your score.

Overall you need to always pay by the due date, don't keep applying for credit, and keep your utilization under 10%. Then only time can do the rest.
My experience is that all of that is true, except that, contrary to popular and oft-repeated "wisdom" it is perfectly possible to have credit utilization north of 10% (and I mean a long long way north of 10% ) and still have a credit score well over 700.

IOW IMO/E people shouldn't get too hung up on credit utilization of 20%, 30% or more, and the number of credit applications seem to have as much of a damaging impact as high credit utilization despite contributing to a smaller part of your credit score.
Originally Posted by mrken30
you need to try and keep the credit:debt ratio around 5% give or take a few percent. .....

Once you get a credit score over 720 I don't think it really matters, just use your cards "normally" and the score will increase over time.
It is perfectly possible to have a 720 credit score, or higher, with very high credit utilization.

Last edited by Pulaski; Sep 22nd 2016 at 2:16 pm.
Old Sep 22nd 2016, 2:06 pm
Forum Regular

MrSunu is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you all for your responses.
Old Sep 23rd 2016, 12:02 am
Firetrak

ldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
My credit cards are all reported to the credit agencies on (or at least "as at") the payment due date. I assumed that was the norm.
As posted its really random