Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

(Un)paid Time Off

(Un)paid Time Off

Old Nov 26th 2014, 12:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Owen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: (Un)paid Time Off

Originally Posted by Ricky_85
But if an employee gets 3 weeks that's quite acceptable. The only real issue is not having sick days. Or staying home sick, but using his 3 weeks "package" of PTO.

It's odd that, with the increase of the welfare state in America since 2008, liberals have thought about everything but this small, economical feasible, common-sense reform such as paid sick days and possible an increase of PTO or (un)PTO has been neglected...
For professionals, at least, it's not always as bad as it sounds. If I were to go on long-term sick leave, I would first use up my allocated sick days. Once I'd done that, I would be on "short-term disability". My company pays this for 6 months, with a certain period at 100% salary and the rest at 60%. If you have less than 1 year service, you get 2 weeks at 100%, and if you have more than 10 years service, you get all 6 months at 100%. After that, long-term disability is 2/3 base salary, up to a maximum of $15k/month.
Old Nov 26th 2014, 2:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ricky_85
.. but this small, economical feasible, common-sense reform such as paid sick days and possible an increase of PTO or (un)PTO has been neglected...
A reform? Of what?

There's no laws dictating time off in America.
Old Nov 26th 2014, 3:47 pm
Forum Regular

Ricky_85 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Hotscot
A reform? Of what?

There's no laws dictating time off in America.

A reform like when they forced people to buy health insurance otherwise be fined...
Old Nov 26th 2014, 3:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Unlikely to happen here regarding time off.
Old Nov 26th 2014, 4:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

retzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hotscot
Can't remember what your skillset is?
Posting on BE

This thread leads me to the conclusion that this is all hypothetical.
Old Nov 26th 2014, 5:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Owen778
For professionals, at least, it's not always as bad as it sounds. If I were to go on long-term sick leave, I would first use up my allocated sick days. Once I'd done that, I would be on "short-term disability". My company pays this for 6 months, with a certain period at 100% salary and the rest at 60%. If you have less than 1 year service, you get 2 weeks at 100%, and if you have more than 10 years service, you get all 6 months at 100%. After that, long-term disability is 2/3 base salary, up to a maximum of $15k/month.
Short and long term disability benefits can also be tax free. In the last company I worked for, each employee had a tax free flexible spending account provided by the employer and at the end of the year, the employee would get a list of benefits that can be purchased including health insurance, life insurance, short and long term disability, and other benefits. Short term disability was mandatory but benefits could be taxable income or non taxable income and basic health insurance was also mandatory. If the employee didn't spend all the money, the employer would pay the remaining amount to the employee monthly but then it was taxable income.
Old Nov 26th 2014, 11:13 pm
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Phyzz
My new employer offers the opportunity to buy more vacation days, I believe it is up to 5 per year. They have to be taken last, with no option to carry them over unless there have been business reasons why you were not able to actually use them.

This is listed in the 'benefits' package.
Same here. It is essentially unpaid days off. Why prepay, unless you have specific plans.

In most circumstances if you "need" to take time off above your allowance, you are going to do it regardless of the employer's point of view.
Old Nov 27th 2014, 7:02 am
Forum Regular

Ricky_85 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by RICH
Same here. It is essentially unpaid days off. Why prepay, unless you have specific plans.

In most circumstances if you "need" to take time off above your allowance, you are going to do it regardless of the employer's point of view.

That's refreshing;-) But you just can't force the employer, I suppose, to accept it