Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Medical Stuff

Medical Stuff

Old Apr 22nd 2012, 3:19 pm
Forum Regular

Bayleaf_01 will become famous soon enoughBayleaf_01 will become famous soon enough
Default Medical Stuff

Hi,
We are coming on L1A/L2 visas with a view to the company converting us to Green Card.
Do we need to bring evidence of medical history - immunisations and so on? I have it all for the kids in the yellow book they get when they are born, but don't have anything for us adults.
Thanks
Old Apr 22nd 2012, 3:54 pm

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Medical Stuff

We asked our doctors for print outs of medical issues. They did the past few years for me and OH. For the 3 year old they did a print out of vaccinations. They were free. We gave them to the doctor when we moved. The red book is fairly rubbish for pediatricians here. They don't understand the vaccinations section. They understood the printout more.
For the medical insurance, Capita who did our medicals contacted our doctors direct from what I remember.
Old Apr 23rd 2012, 8:24 am
Account Closed

goldenstate31 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yonou are coming on visas so you don't need anything as you are considered a non immigrant. If you was coming to the US permanantly as an immigrant then yes you would.
Old Apr 23rd 2012, 12:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by goldenstate31
Yonou are coming on visas so you don't need anything as you are considered a non immigrant. If you was coming to the US permanantly as an immigrant then yes you would.
If the kids are going to go school here then they DO need the info, many states will not allow kids to go to school without showing prove of immunizations. if they have any other medical issues I would certainly bring the relevant info from my GP to give the GP here.
Old Apr 23rd 2012, 2:10 pm

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, the pediatrician was all for starting the inoculations from scratch when she saw the red book, but thanks to the print out she only needed hep, flu and chicken pox. I'd definately get something from your GP.
Old Apr 23rd 2012, 4:58 pm
Forum Regular

Bayleaf_01 will become famous soon enoughBayleaf_01 will become famous soon enough

Thanks everyone, I'll get on to the GP tomorrow. Both kids bare the scars to show chicken pox is out of the way, hope that counts, but I doubt it!
Old Apr 23rd 2012, 5:06 pm

You can sign a form at school to say they have contracted chicken pox and then the wont insist on the jab.
Old Apr 23rd 2012, 8:03 pm
Forum Regular

Middlemore is a jewel in the roughMiddlemore is a jewel in the roughMiddlemore is a jewel in the roughMiddlemore is a jewel in the roughMiddlemore is a jewel in the rough

Get the GP printouts, and depending on your line of work, maybe papers from Occ Health as well. When I did my green card, I got printouts from both, (I'm an RN and had a lot for work-related vaccines, which my GP knew nothing about!)
You will need all this if you apply for a green card later on, and its a darn sight easier to do it while you are still in the UK : )
Here is the list of current requirements for greencard, its from the US Embassy in London.
http://photos.state.gov/libraries/un...ccinechart.pdf
Old Apr 30th 2012, 2:03 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

If you don't have records for yourself, you can get a titre test done to show your immunisations, likely get it done as part of your first annual physical in the US if you have medical insurance, other wise it is pretty pricey. No idea if the NHS would cover the test, they might though.
Old Apr 30th 2012, 8:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

NatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, bring the records. My stepdaughter's school district insisted on a specific form from the doctors with details of all vaccinations, the doctors had to translate her vaccination records from the UK onto that form and work out what she needed to catch up on. She also had to have a blood test to check for chicken pox immunity as there was no note of her having it on her doctors records from the UK. She also argued that she could show her scars to prove she'd had CP but apparently that wasn't acceptable
Old Apr 30th 2012, 10:16 pm
Forum Regular

MadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond repute

Get as much info as you can for yourself and spouse too - it'll make things a bit easier when it comes to the green card medical and hopefully reduce the number of vaccinations you'll need to get.
Old May 1st 2012, 11:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

kodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond repute

The kids' school was happy to accept the kids' red books, but I had to spend a fair while painstakingly explaining what each jab was and reminding them to transpose the date. The school allowed me to sign a chicken pox waiver saying they're not having the jab due to my 'personal beliefs' (ie, 'I personally believe they've both had it so don't need the jabs').

We're in the process of doing L1 to Green Card at the moment, and hubby and I went to get some jabs yesterday. As adults, we need evidence of Tdap (tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis) and MMR. Naturally we can't remotely prove we had all these as kids - not that hubby had the Rubella - and we were probably due a tetanus anyway, so we just got them done again. We could have had blood tests done for immunity, but we'd have to pay around $150 per disease for that, whereas vaccinations are free on our insurance.

The doctor said it's not a bad idea to get them done again as adults anyway, as boosters, and that it certainly does no harm. One day later, I can report no ill effects, apart from a slightly sore left arm from the Tdap.

I'm planning to take the kids' red books to the Green Card medical but also print out the school's vaccination records for them, as they're very clear to understand and are probably in a format that a US doctor is expecting to see.

The ones your kids will need for GC that they might not have had are Hepatitis B (all age kids up to 18), and Tdap and Meningococcal for any kids aged around 11+. They'll probably need these for school too, so you may as well start the process in the UK as it takes some months to schedule all the doses.