Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK/USA bank account?

UK/USA bank account?

Old Aug 8th 2014, 3:17 pm
Forum Regular

Jaag is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK/USA bank account?

I also thought about HSBC as I'm a customer of 20 years, but they were next to useless and don't have any ATMs or branches nearby.

There's nothing like local knowledge, so if you can contact some work colleagues in the area and ask them who they bank with/who is good, they are more likely to know. I did that and they all came back that Chase was the pick of the bunch.

As for credit cards, I have a UK Lloyds Avios Amex which has zero Forex fees, so I can simply use that in US and pay for it using my UK online banking.

To start building a credit file, I see there are some low limit/no rewards card that offer "accelerated credit history building" and more importantly free access to your credit score, so I figured some regular small use will help build a file, and I can use the credit score access to work out when it's worth applying for a rewards AMEX (or other card).

I hope that's a sensible approach?!
Old Aug 8th 2014, 4:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Owen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond repute

I've been sorting out our finances this year, and this is what we do:
- Pick separate banks for your checking (current) account and savings. It is unusual for the best bank for both to be the same.
- The checking account needs good service from a local branch. Get a savings account from this bank too, for money you might require at such short notice that you don't have time to transfer it from savings. We use Chase, mainly because my wife has used them for decades. Their interest rates on savings might as well not exist.
- The savings account needs a decent interest rate. Our main savings account is with GE Capital. Confusingly GE actually own two separate online retail banks. The other one is now renamed to Synchrony Bank. We also have a certificate of deposit (CD) with Barclays US that pays better interest than any savings account, but incurs a penalty if you take the money early.
- Both banks should hopefully be in a strong financial position, which is why I rejected Ally as an option.
- Oh, and Barclays UK also allowed me to retain my UK accounts with a US address. With their PINsentry device, I can do most required tasks online. The only issue seems to be that their staff are not allowed to phone numbers outside the UK.

Last edited by Owen778; Aug 8th 2014 at 4:16 pm.
Old Aug 12th 2014, 12:37 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cautiousjon
It is a wholly online bank, like First Direct in the UK. I have several bank accounts with several UK banks and only deal with my banks over the phone or online.
The OP sounds like she's in a non-immigrant category and I don't think it's wise to use an on-line bank unless you're a US citizen or LPR. In fact I can't think of any that allow you to sign up on their website unless you are a US citizen or LPR.

The reason why is the USA PATRIOT Act, which amended the Banking Act to require banks to check the ID of aliens in person, essentially. Theoretically once you have an account, they can open other accounts for you online or over the phone but in reality they often want you to show up at a branch.

This is the reason to use a bank that has branches - the reason I recommended TD and BMO Harris is because they have a decent presence in Florida and although it's a massive generalization I find Canadian banks better at dealing with bureaucracy. Also being in Florida they have a lot of Canadians show up who want to open accounts, so they're used to dealing with foreigners.

Last edited by Steve_; Aug 12th 2014 at 12:40 am.
Old Aug 12th 2014, 2:10 am
BE Forum Addict

jmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
(BTW Citibank is not much better than HSBC),
What's wrong with Citibank?
Old Aug 12th 2014, 2:18 am
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Another -1 for HSBC. I used them for business banking and it was a PITA. The business support was shite; their business website was designed by amateurs with no HCI concept; and I had to do a 120 mile round trip to the nearest branch just to change my address which took all of 30 seconds to complete once they did the "Mr X is terribly busy at the moment and will be with you shortly" shenanigans.

Wells Fargo for our personal accounts has been great with a good website. Shite loans and mortgages departments though. For the latter they eventually sent a letter saying they couldn't pre-approve until we provided information we'd already provided -and sending that letter approximately 2 weeks after the 2nd loan company we'd approached had approved our loan.
Old Aug 12th 2014, 2:33 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
The OP sounds like she's in a non-immigrant category and I don't think it's wise to use an on-line bank unless you're a US citizen or LPR. In fact I can't think of any that allow you to sign up on their website unless you are a US citizen or LPR.

The reason why is the USA PATRIOT Act, which amended the Banking Act to require banks to check the ID of aliens in person, essentially. Theoretically once you have an account, they can open other accounts for you online or over the phone but in reality they often want you to show up at a branch.

This is the reason to use a bank that has branches - the reason I recommended TD and BMO Harris is because they have a decent presence in Florida and although it's a massive generalization I find Canadian banks better at dealing with bureaucracy. Also being in Florida they have a lot of Canadians show up who want to open accounts, so they're used to dealing with foreigners.
Situation like that, you get your ID notarised and then send in the notarised letter.
Old Aug 13th 2014, 1:17 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Situation like that, you get your ID notarised and then send in the notarised letter.
Notarization is irrelevant, the regulations are contained in 31 CFR 103.121

It lists various ways banks can verify who their customers are, including "non-US persons" but banks seem to treat it very conservatively indeed imx. Like I said, go to an on-line bank and try setting up an account, all the ones I've ever looked at require you to be a US person, i.e. US citizen or LPR.

It's just too much hassle for them I think, they can't be bothered. The regulations aren't really that helpful, e.g.

(2) The bank’s non-documentary procedures must address situations where an individual is unable to present an unexpired government-issued identification document that bears a photograph or similar safeguard; the bank is not familiar with the documents presented; the account is opened without obtaining documents; the customer opens the account without appearing in person at the bank; and where the bank is otherwise presented with circumstances that increase the risk that the bank will be unable to verify the true identity of a customer through documents.
So what is the easiest way to comply with that? Don't open bank accounts for foreigners.

(A) Verification through documents. For a bank relying on documents, the CIP must contain procedures that set forth the documents that the bank will use. These documents may include: (1) For an individual, unexpired government-issued identification evidencing nationality or residence and bearing a photograph or similar safeguard, such as a driver’s license or passport;
Which means your lowly-paid service rep has to be an expert on Bolivian passports and driver's licenses. Simpler option - don't open accounts for Bolivians. Plus the way it's written makes it sound as they have to see it, doesn't say anything about copies.

The fact that I'm able to quote the actual regulations should tell you how many times I've had this problem personally...
Old Aug 13th 2014, 2:13 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Which means your lowly-paid service rep has to be an expert on Bolivian passports and driver's licenses. Simpler option - don't open accounts for Bolivians. Plus the way it's written makes it sound as they have to see it, doesn't say anything about copies.
They don't need to be. They have a book that has all the passports/drivers licenses/currency from around the world, with their security features. It's massive and weighs a ton, but all they have to do is flick through to the country and then compare.

It's updated quarterly.
Old Aug 13th 2014, 2:25 am
BE Enthusiast

jxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond repute

I did open an online account with Ally while on an H1B visa. They use a credit report check as a way to verify your identity. So obviously if you just arrived you will have nothing on your credit report and they will not be able to verify.

Edited to add: I was of course a "US Person" in the sense of meeting the IRS Substantial Presence Test

Last edited by jxv73; Aug 13th 2014 at 2:28 am.
Old Aug 13th 2014, 3:32 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jxv73
I did open an online account with Ally while on an H1B visa. They use a credit report check as a way to verify your identity. So obviously if you just arrived you will have nothing on your credit report and they will not be able to verify.

Edited to add: I was of course a "US Person" in the sense of meeting the IRS Substantial Presence Test
You have a SSN. It all hinges around the SSN.

Everyone has a name, a date of birth, most people in the industrialized world have an address, but only USCs, PRs, and visa holders have an SSN. ..... When it comes to opening an on-line a/c, an SSN is golden.
Old Aug 13th 2014, 4:05 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Everyone has a name, a date of birth, most people in the industrialized world have an address, but only USCs, PRs, and visa holders have an SSN. ..... When it comes to opening an on-line a/c, an SSN is golden.
Or, not having one is brown and smelly, and means you would have to get past several levels of management to get someone to even talk to you about opening an account in person, let alone online/remotely. (I would expect).
Old Aug 13th 2014, 5:49 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RICH
Or, not having one is brown and smelly, and means you would have to get past several levels of management to get someone to even talk to you about opening an account in person, let alone online/remotely. (I would expect).
I did specify "on-line". Opening an account in person, with documents to show, is slightly different, with a different set of rules to follow.
Old Aug 13th 2014, 9:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

jmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond repute

Visa holders? How does that work?
Old Aug 13th 2014, 9:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

jxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jmood
Visa holders? How does that work?
If you have a visa or immigration status that gives you employment authorization you can apply for an SSN.
Old Aug 13th 2014, 9:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by jxv73
If you have a visa or immigration status that gives you employment authorization you can apply for an SSN.
Yes of course. Duh! Don't know how I forgot that.
Thanks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.