Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK/US Dual Citizen - moving to the US, require help/advice on location and job market

UK/US Dual Citizen - moving to the US, require help/advice on location and job market

Old Nov 17th 2015, 3:58 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK/US Dual Citizen - moving to the US, require help/advice on location and job ma

Leaves?

There is a snow blizzard outside, not that cold but the wind......
Old Nov 17th 2015, 3:59 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK/US Dual Citizen - moving to the US, require help/advice on location and job ma

Originally Posted by Boiler
Leaves?

Boiler, I'd swap location with you in an instant....
Old Nov 17th 2015, 4:03 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK/USDual Citizen - moving to the US, require help/advice on location and job ma

Leaves?

We had a little ground frost a few days ago, but since then overnight lows have been back in the mid 40's - low 50's. Tonight the forecast low is 64°. Frost is forecast again this weekend and next week.

Last edited by Pulaski; Nov 17th 2015 at 4:57 pm.
Old Nov 17th 2015, 4:40 pm
Account Closed

Thursday we should get back above freezing at some point.
Old Nov 17th 2015, 7:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

The only simple route I could think of is either go back to your routes and go into some form of LAMP role - a lot of vacancies I've seen (probably the majority) don't require a degree and instead value solid commercial experience.

Or join a start up as a developer and take on / move to a PM role.
Old Nov 18th 2015, 12:11 am
Forum Regular

Tootsfromscotland has a reputation beyond reputeTootsfromscotland has a reputation beyond reputeTootsfromscotland has a reputation beyond reputeTootsfromscotland has a reputation beyond reputeTootsfromscotland has a reputation beyond reputeTootsfromscotland has a reputation beyond reputeTootsfromscotland has a reputation beyond reputeTootsfromscotland has a reputation beyond reputeTootsfromscotland has a reputation beyond reputeTootsfromscotland has a reputation beyond reputeTootsfromscotland has a reputation beyond repute

Leaves?

Still no snow here in Longmont Boiler my daughter was very disappointed not to get her very first school closure snow day !
I was driving down Arvada way today though for work and low and behold...lots of snow
Old Nov 18th 2015, 12:18 am
Account Closed

Snow has now gone.
Old Nov 23rd 2015, 12:14 pm
Forum Regular

jenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond repute

My husband and I are both dual citizens and have been thinking about moving to the USA for quite some time now. He works in IT and was on the phone with the CEO of a small firm in Dallas a couple of weeks ago. The guy told him the market in Dallas is very tough for employers - in the sense that there aren't nearly enough skilled people for the demand and that people jump ship all the time for better offers. So I'd definitely look at Dallas.

Charlotte and Raleigh are also good in terms of weather and COL. We've looked at these two cities in depth and there seem to be plenty of jobs in both. Fidelity has a strong presence in Cary, NC (which is a suburb of Raleigh).

ETA: I agree with what several have indicated about the importance of a degree - and therefore would also suggest, at least initially, focusing on your technical skills. I say this as your competition for PM roles will be fierce, not least because there are loads of PMs who don't know much about IT doing PM roles. So you're not only competing with those who actually know something about IT, you are competing with people who don't (I know, because I was one at one point in time in the US) - and those PMs not only have a bachelor's degree, but in many cases they have an MBA.

Good luck.

Last edited by jenninedinburgh; Nov 23rd 2015 at 12:19 pm.
Old Nov 23rd 2015, 3:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jenninedinburgh
you are competing with people who don't (I know, because I was one at one point in time in the US) - and those PMs not only have a bachelor's degree, but in many cases they have an MBA.

Good luck.
And in the US academic qualifications are more important than technical ability to a lot of employers.

I struggle a lot, because I only got an HND with multiple distinctions instead of a degree. In the UK it made very little difference. I have multiple industry qualifications but many employers would prefer a degree than an industry qualification.
My current employer did check with my UK university and I was surprised they had records of my diploma.
Old Nov 23rd 2015, 4:21 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
And in the US academic qualifications are more important than technical ability to a lot of employers.
And this shows the importance of networking and being able to get around HR as the "no" gateway. Definitely who you know helps big time.
Old Nov 23rd 2015, 5:11 pm
Wondering if...

celticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond repute

Re. qualifications and the role of project manager...

If you don't being a degree to the table you are, as has been said, at a disadvantage.

You are also further disadvantaged if you don't being one or two certifications along. Primarily the job process (as far as IT project managers are concerned) is going to be looking for the PMP certification. If you want to show Agile certification then you should look into that too. There are a number of options - I would say that none of them are regarded as a de facto standard like the PMP is, but it would certainly help your search.

The US loves bits of paper, whether academic or professional based!