Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK/US Dual Citizen - moving to the US, require help/advice on location and job market

UK/US Dual Citizen - moving to the US, require help/advice on location and job market

Old Nov 12th 2015, 10:57 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK/US Dual Citizen - moving to the US, require help/advice on location and job ma

34F today. well now 29F and dropping.

Not everybody lives on the Front Range, if you look west you can see the Mountains.

Pulaski will be able to tell you all about it, he has a top of the range Stihl Chainsaw and offered to come up and clear a few Mountains.
Old Nov 12th 2015, 10:59 pm
Forum Regular

Tootsfromscotland has a reputation beyond reputeTootsfromscotland has a reputation beyond reputeTootsfromscotland has a reputation beyond reputeTootsfromscotland has a reputation beyond reputeTootsfromscotland has a reputation beyond reputeTootsfromscotland has a reputation beyond reputeTootsfromscotland has a reputation beyond reputeTootsfromscotland has a reputation beyond reputeTootsfromscotland has a reputation beyond reputeTootsfromscotland has a reputation beyond reputeTootsfromscotland has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK/US Dual Citizen - moving to the US, require help/advice on location and job ma

Originally Posted by Boiler

Not everybody lives on the Front Range, if you look west you can see the Mountains.

Pulaski will be able to tell you all about it, he has a top of the range Stihl Chainsaw and offered to come up and clear a few Mountains.

Oh brrrrrrrrr, I love the mountains but don't think I'm hardy enough to withstand those temperatures !
Old Nov 12th 2015, 11:18 pm
Account Closed

Those are plus temps, I do not like it when there is a minus in front.

And the wind blows.....
Old Nov 13th 2015, 7:19 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Austin!
And I think Fidelity have a largish presence here. Loads of tech companies around who all seem to have vacancies. Cheaper than SF/NYC and (sorry Markcst) way, way nicer to live in than Dallas.
Bit hot in the summer but just lovely right now.
Old Nov 13th 2015, 7:26 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler

No time for tree work at the moment, I have been mowing the grass this afternoon, after I had blown the leaves off it. I thought a final trim a couple of weeks ago would be enough but the grass is still growing. I don't recall mowing grass in November before.
Old Nov 13th 2015, 9:12 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Pulaski
No time for tree work at the moment, I have been mowing the grass this afternoon, after I had blown the leaves off it. I thought a final trim a couple of weeks ago would be enough but the grass is still growing. I don't recall mowing grass in November before.
Grass?

Is that the green stuff underneath the snow?

I did get a MS 170 for limbing.

Currently consuming a very comfortable Double IPA in the Backcountry Brewery in Frisco and a quarter keg to go.
Old Nov 14th 2015, 3:56 am
Forum Regular

Hanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond repute

What is this snow stuff thou speakest of? I see this not in Georgia
Old Nov 14th 2015, 4:09 am
Account Closed

It is white stuff, thought white stuff might be popular in Georgia?

I drove through Breckenridge today and then watched the coverage on local TV of the first day skiing. You must be desperate to go skiing now, even at 11,500', the highest I was at today, there was very little in the sun, a bit in the trees and the shade.
Old Nov 14th 2015, 11:35 am
Forum Regular

chesterton_fan has a reputation beyond reputechesterton_fan has a reputation beyond reputechesterton_fan has a reputation beyond reputechesterton_fan has a reputation beyond reputechesterton_fan has a reputation beyond reputechesterton_fan has a reputation beyond reputechesterton_fan has a reputation beyond reputechesterton_fan has a reputation beyond reputechesterton_fan has a reputation beyond reputechesterton_fan has a reputation beyond reputechesterton_fan has a reputation beyond repute

To the OP: I'm a business analyst, looking to do something similar, and currently work in the City as well. (Unfortunately I'm not a dual national, but married to one and currently going through the green card process.)

I'm a little more picky as to location than you -- I'm looking at the Charlotte area as I have friends and family there. Housing is obviously much cheaper than in the biggest cities, and the climate isn't too bad if you can stand the humidity.

Anyway, good luck. Good to see there are a few IT professionals on this board.
Old Nov 14th 2015, 8:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Check Dice.com for a baseline

Are there any positions for which you fulfill the requirements?
Old Nov 16th 2015, 8:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

There are a lot of web companies moving into Portland, OR. Weather is much the same as England. People are a bit strange though. I can give you details of a local recruitment company if that helps.
Old Nov 16th 2015, 8:46 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm still mowing too. Some years I mow till mid December ... And I think I'm maybe seven or eight hundred miles north of you!

Other years the snow and ice is permanently set in by October...
Old Nov 17th 2015, 2:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

I have also been mowing this month. I mow with the leaves on the grass. It's much less work.
Old Nov 17th 2015, 2:41 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

The leaves are about to start falling (again....) here in Austin.
Our grass is still growing as well.
I'm about to go and buy a lawnmower leaf chopping blade for the leaves so that I can compost them and use them on the garden in the spring. Apparently the way to do it is to rake the leaves onto a tarp and mow them on that until they are finely cut and then pop them into a compost bin or chicken wire formed into a cylinder and staked into the ground. Any experience of this?
Old Nov 17th 2015, 2:55 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
The leaves are about to start falling (again....) here in Austin.
Our grass is still growing as well.
I'm about to go and buy a lawnmower leaf chopping blade for the leaves so that I can compost them and use them on the garden in the spring. Apparently the way to do it is to rake the leaves onto a tarp and mow them on that until they are finely cut and then pop them into a compost bin or chicken wire formed into a cylinder and staked into the ground. Any experience of this?
I used to shred them and collect them into wooden bins or a wire cage, but then I worked out that they rot down quick enough without me wasting time on shredding them. I also have more rotted leaf mulch than I know what do with - upto 120 55gal sacks of compressed leaves, plus a dozen or more leaf piles on a 10'x15' tarp each year if I can be bothered to collect them up rather than blow them into the woods.

Personally I wouldn't run a mower over any tarp I placed any value on!

Last edited by Pulaski; Nov 17th 2015 at 3:00 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.