Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK to Texas - what's it really like?

UK to Texas - what's it really like?

Old Jul 18th 2016, 6:30 pm
Banned

Canveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK to Texas - what's it really like?

Originally Posted by Pulaski
The guns in Texas thing is a myth. Texas has an only average rate of gun ownership (for the US), and is one of the few states where open carry was NOT legal - I believe open carry was legalized in Texas on January 1, 2016.
Correct it was, most people I spoke with at the time, didn't want to open carry.
Old Jul 18th 2016, 7:55 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wintersong
The son of a friend of mine, at an elementary school in Virginia, was taught that rain was "Jesus' tears" during a lesson on the water cycle.
Good grief, I asked The Dude if he has ever been taught any form of religious studies and he said 'No, there is a Christian Group that meets after school though', he has been through Grades 4-11 so far and no religion mentioned.
Old Jul 18th 2016, 8:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Canveydave
Correct it was, most people I spoke with at the time, didn't want to open carry.
And they have gone "full bore" with guns now, and it is legal here to open carry guns to all State-run colleges and universities. University of Texas has circulated a memo instructing the lecturers to stay away from discussing highly sensitive topics because vigorous debate may end up with guns being drawn.

A friend at work had a terrible thing happen to his family. His 18 year old son was at an event with his 16 year old female cousin and while they were watching the fireworks a fight broke out between two guys behind them who drew their concealed guns and started shooting at one another. One bullet hit the girl in the back, severing her spinal chord, and another hit the boy in the back of the head, exiting through the front. The girl is a paraplegic and my friend's son spent 2 years in hospital and rehab and is permanently brain damaged.

The advantage of concealed carry is that it is really only pistols that are carried in public. With open carry it is assault rifles that can be carried in public. The only time I have seen anyone open carrying was actually last year in Glacier National Park, while we were hiking a trail, and he looked like a wild west bandit with a large caliber gun diagonally strapped across his shoulder with a belt of bullets crossed diagonally in the other direction. Not seen anyone carrying where we live in Texas but talk to several guys at the YMCA we go to who regularly "carry". (but not at the YMCA which bans guns from the premises).

We lived for 15 years in Baton Rouge and it was shocking to see the scene of the recent shootings since it was exactly where we used to live.
Old Jul 19th 2016, 12:06 pm
Forum Regular

Tanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond repute

Oh really?! My husband went to Texas in June and he was told it was concealed carry, not open carry law. Which I thought was bad enough tbh... I can't believe you're even allowed to bring guns into universities and colleges! And then they tell teachers to stay away from sensitive discussion topics? Surely you should disallow weapons and rather be able to discuss whatever topics are relevant or of interest?! Strange logic there...
Oh I can imagine - it must have been very upsetting with the shootings there! Especially if it's an area you are or have been close to! And I'm so sorry to hear about your work friend, too. I can't even begin to imagine what their family has been through!
I almost didn't even consider the idea of moving because of the gun thing as I feel quite strongly about it and, tbh, I'm mainly scared to take my kids there. But then I keep hearing that it's not that bad and hardly anyone my husband spoke to and works with has ever witnessed gun violence and, to be fair, by now it seems you're not safe anywhere anymore what with all the recent news reports of senseless killings all over the globe...
Old Jul 19th 2016, 12:33 pm
Banned

Canveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tanja87
Oh really?! My husband went to Texas in June and he was told it was concealed carry, not open carry law. Which I thought was bad enough tbh... I can't believe you're even allowed to bring guns into universities and colleges! And then they tell teachers to stay away from sensitive discussion topics? Surely you should disallow weapons and rather be able to discuss whatever topics are relevant or of interest?! Strange logic there...
Oh I can imagine - it must have been very upsetting with the shootings there! Especially if it's an area you are or have been close to! And I'm so sorry to hear about your work friend, too. I can't even begin to imagine what their family has been through!
I almost didn't even consider the idea of moving because of the gun thing as I feel quite strongly about it and, tbh, I'm mainly scared to take my kids there. But then I keep hearing that it's not that bad and hardly anyone my husband spoke to and works with has ever witnessed gun violence and, to be fair, by now it seems you're not safe anywhere anymore what with all the recent news reports of senseless killings all over the globe...
We moved from Texas to Florida. Never saw any gun violence in Texas, got to (concealed carry) Florida and 50 people get shot the first weekend we are here.

I honestly feel it is what it is. I have no control over it. I went to work in London on July 7th 2005 expecting a quiet day. Didn't stop me going to work anymore.

If you live in a nice area, don't go looking for trouble, and just go about your business, my opinion is that you won't see trouble.

That being said, I hate going to the cinema now!
Old Jul 19th 2016, 12:56 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wintersong
The son of a friend of mine, at an elementary school in Virginia, was taught that rain was "Jesus' tears" during a lesson on the water cycle.

What happens when Jesus gets a cold, or an upset stomach?
Old Jul 19th 2016, 1:05 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Canveydave
.... If you live in a nice area, don't go looking for trouble, and just go about your business, my opinion is that you won't see trouble. ....
I agree. Most shootings are geographically and socially localized. I live in a rural area and frequently hear gunfire, but I don't consider it to be an issue. A number of neighbours, within a mile or so, appear to be target shooters. It is what it is, and not anything that concerns me.
Old Jul 19th 2016, 1:32 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
What happens when Jesus gets a cold, or an upset stomach?
Seems he has a case of the sh*ts at the moment...that's the reason we have a choice of Clinton or Trump.
Old Jul 19th 2016, 2:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Honestly, you'll be just fine and have a great experience.

When you come over on your "look see" visit be sure to go around some of the neighborhoods you're likely to be living in should the job materialize. I'm sure you'll be suitably impressed.
Old Jul 19th 2016, 4:29 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

It is unnerving but you just have to use common sense. I wouldn't fill up my car at a gas station downtown at 3am (but then I don't remember the last time I was awake at 3am). I don't go to Walmart alone at midnight. My son (who is 17 1/2 and 6'4") wanted to go out with friends at 10pm last night to a local park to play Pokemon Bloody Go - we said No much to his "For gods sake I'm almost 18 and all my friends on Snapchat are doing it" whining. We are not helicopter parents, he drives all over, goes out to concerts at night but that made me feel uneasy enough to to say No

I have not seen any violence (gun or otherwise) in my 8 years here *but* every other morning I wake to the news of a shooting somewhere so you can't ignore the fact that it happens. Just be sensible and by being sensible I mean if your kids have a play date ask "Do you have a weapon in the house, if so is it secure and unloaded" - that's what it has come to.
Old Jul 19th 2016, 5:02 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ChocolateBabz
.... Just be sensible and by being sensible I mean if your kids have a play date ask "Do you have a weapon in the house, if so is it secure and unloaded" - that's what it has come to.
Unfortunately many people are unaware when then gun still has a bullet in the chamber - simply removing the magazine is not sufficient.

I also suspect that merely asking if any guns are "secure" is fairly meaningless. If you are concerned enough to ask, make sure you ask the right, and enough questions - do you have any guns? ... are they stored in a locked gun safe? ... or otherwise locked away? .... Do you keep a gun in your nightstand? or anywhere else around the house? ....etc.

This video, on gun shop safety has an interesting section, starting at 3:20 about how clueless many people are about removing all bullets from a gun and making it truely safe.

Old Jul 19th 2016, 9:18 pm
Chocoholic !

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Unfortunately many people are unaware when then gun still has a bullet in the chamber - simply removing the magazine is not sufficient.

I also suspect that merely asking if any guns are "secure" is fairly meaningless. If you are concerned enough to ask, make sure you ask the right, and enough questions - do you have any guns? ... are they stored in a locked gun safe? ... or otherwise locked away? .... Do you keep a gun in your nightstand? or anywhere else around the house? ....etc.

This video, on gun shop safety has an interesting section, starting at 3:20 about how clueless many people are about removing all bullets from a gun and making it truely safe.

https://youtu.be/agL59nLBAqk
I don't doubt that most of them thick, luckily most of our friends don't own guns so I've never had to go that far with my interrogation, saying that they could by lying to protect my British sensibilities but most gun owners seem quite happy to sing it from the rooftops. If anything ever happens in our neighbourhood our neighbourhood Facebook page is full of neighbours offering to shoot people.

One of my friends has a neighbour who keeps loaded guns in both night stands despite having small children and one with learning disabilities, but it's OK they have instructed the kids not to touch them so it's all good . The mother also doesn't open her door without a gun unless she is expecting someone. I'd hate to live in that state of paranoia but maybe I'm the naive one?
Old Jul 20th 2016, 3:57 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

i have lived in Dallas (well North east suburb of McKinney) for about 2.5 years now - with the prev 7 or so years in Ohio.

Yes it gets hot - but you do get used to it. I am walking around the lake for 40 mins at work each lunchtime and its in the high 90s and its doable. Yes there are mossies - and i will admit they are a pain in the early evenings.

The traffic is higher than Ohio but not dissimilar to England in general, BUT roads are wider and straighter so you get a lot further. Everything is spread out and you dont walk much unless for recreation.

I love the schools here - my kids are elementary and middle school ages (7, 9 and 11) and are doing well. But we lived in a nice area and pay high property taxes. That was our choice.

A lot of my american friends talk about guns a lot, and i see lots of them talk on FB about guns but i have never seen a gun here (concealed or otherwise) and i dont think about it that much. I have had conversations with all my kids on what i expect them to do if they ever see a gun in someone else's house though. I dont think we will every buy a gun - just not interested BUT i am seriously contemplating getting an archery bow and arrows as thats something ive done with my sons as Boy scout camp and loved it - and they are easy to buy/find over here in the big box sports stores.

Another thing talked about here a lot is religion. Its very common to ask for prayers if you have a bad issue on your hands or to say bless you or stuff like that. Its not pushed on you but people are very happy to talk about it.

Brits are still a massive curiosity over here - i'm asked about my accent on a pretty much daily basis in shops or new places. I work in a large office and often have people come over to my desk (where i have a small England flag lol) and ask me what i think about Brexit, or the new PM, or the royal baby etc etc. I often end up explaining what is really going on (as often the person asking doesn't really understand the basics) and they seem genuinely interested in what we do differently in England.

anyways - if you have any specific questions about Dallas - let me know as id be happy to answer.
Old Jul 20th 2016, 7:01 am
Forum Regular

Tanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond repute

I know I keep saying it but thank you all so much for your replies! I'm sure if you're sensible you can very much reduce the risk of anything happening to you and your family but I think the thing that scares me most is hearing reports about shootings in schools. It just hits home a bit when you have small kids yourself and think this could happen at their school which is unlikely in the UK but out there with it being so "liberal" on gun laws I guess it could happen and as we all know it has! But maybe that's just my mummy paranoia kicking in...
If we manage to get out there this year it'll probably be for 2 weeks. For the first my husband would be working in the day so I'd likely just drive around and check out the area with the kids in a rental car. My husband said he liked the neighbourhood "by the lakes". Apparently that's quite outside of Dallas but close enough to commute to his office etc. It seems weird to go on a reccie when it's completely out of our hands if we'll be moving or not but I guess it's better to do your research and be prepared in case the opportunity does arise...
Old Jul 20th 2016, 7:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by MsElui
Brits are still a massive curiosity over here - i'm asked about my accent on a pretty much daily basis in shops or new places. I work in a large office and often have people come over to my desk (where i have a small England flag lol) and ask me what i think about Brexit, or the new PM, or the royal baby etc etc. I often end up explaining what is really going on (as often the person asking doesn't really understand the basics) and they seem genuinely interested in what we do differently in England.
+1

In both towns that we lived in Texas, north and south of Houston, and also in Baton Rouge, we received a very warm reception and were very quickly accepted into the community.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.