Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK to Texas - what's it really like?

UK to Texas - what's it really like?

Old Jul 17th 2016, 8:03 am
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK to Texas - what's it really like?

Originally Posted by Tanja87
Yes, Pulaski, you're right. I was really hoping to be over there around this time next year but 2 years seems like a long time... Plus our eldest would start school here next year so I don't know how I feel about taking her out of her school after 1 year and moving half way around the globe... :-/
Kids are surprisingly resilient at that age. Our 2 were aged 5 and 6 when we moved to Houston and had absolutely no problem at all in switching schools. They are both in their 30's now in excellent jobs, having been through the education system including university degrees in Computer Science. One still lives in the Houston area the other lives in California (Santa Monica).

Be prepared that the education your children receive in one or two areas may differ to your own beliefs. For example in grades 7 and 8 our son was taught creationism but at that age it was easy to tell him to do enough to pass any tests but that he could continue believing that the theory of evolution is a more likely alternative.

Recently Texas has changed their history books so that the KKK and Jim Crow laws on forced segregation are not mentioned, and that Africans were brought to America as workers for the plantations rather than as slaves.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/22/op...tory.html?_r=0

Last edited by durham_lad; Jul 17th 2016 at 8:06 am.
Old Jul 17th 2016, 8:35 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by durham_lad
.... Recently Texas has changed their history books so that the KKK and Jim Crow laws on forced segregation are not mentioned, and that Africans were brought to America as workers for the plantations rather than as slaves. ...
On an H-2A, followed by a green card presumably?

HTF does just writing slavery out of the history books help anyone? ..... And how do teachers keep a straight face when telling children that "Africans were brought to America as workers"?

Last edited by Pulaski; Jul 17th 2016 at 8:37 am.
Old Jul 17th 2016, 8:54 am
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
On an H-2A, followed by a green card presumably?

Originally Posted by Pulaski
HTF does just writing slavery out of the history books help anyone? ..... And how do teachers keep a straight face when telling children that "Africans were brought to America as workers"?
At the YMCA we go to in Texas we often talk to some retired teacher friends and they also can't believe it.
Old Jul 18th 2016, 7:43 am
Forum Regular

Tanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond repute

Oh wow, that is really quite something! Can't believe they just changed the history books...!
Thank you for the reassurance about the kids as well. I think it's just not "ideal" to take them out of school and moving half way across the globe after just one year but I'm sure they'd be ok. They are still quite young and adaptable I guess... Either way it's completely out of our hands as it depends on my husband's work and if and when they'd want him over there. We will see! For now we'll try to get out there all together on his next business trip and try and find out as much as possible while we're there. Any tips on things worth seeing while out there for 1-2 weeks?
Old Jul 18th 2016, 11:18 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Oh wow, that is really quite something! Can't believe they just changed the history books...! ....
If only it stopped at history. Wait until you see what they've done to the science textbooks.
Old Jul 18th 2016, 4:30 pm
Forum Regular

Tanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond repute

Oh no! What happened there then?! Surely you can't change science?!! It's science!!
Old Jul 18th 2016, 5:10 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

Oh no! What happened there then?! Surely you can't change science?!! It's science!!
Well, that depends on your definition of science and whether or not it includes invisible sky fairies.
Old Jul 18th 2016, 5:21 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wintersong
Well, that depends on your definition of science and whether or not it includes invisible sky fairies.
or creationism
Old Jul 18th 2016, 5:26 pm

Right, so based on the assumption that anything called a "theory" is unproven and subject to challenge (which it is, but only by a better theory), a number of states mandate that equal time be devoted to studying "creation science" and "intelligent design" as is given to studying the theory of evolution!

Out of this utter fiasco came the Flying Spaghetti Monster and the Pastafarian Church (actually created in response to the teaching curriculum in Kansas, IIRC), created exactly to point out the ridiculousness of the situation. It's sad that things have gone this far.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jul 18th 2016 at 6:01 pm.
Old Jul 18th 2016, 5:50 pm
Forum Regular

Oh my word, are you guys serious?! That's is.... An unusual approach! (How diplomatic am I?!) Well I hope at least by the time they teach that, the kids are old enough so mummy and daddy can help them "handle" these teachings appropriately...
Old Jul 18th 2016, 5:52 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

The son of a friend of mine, at an elementary school in Virginia, was taught that rain was "Jesus' tears" during a lesson on the water cycle.
Old Jul 18th 2016, 6:03 pm

Oh my word, are you guys serious?! ....
We're often accused of being facetious or flippant, but unusually, on this occasion, yes, we're serious.
Old Jul 18th 2016, 6:09 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

The son of a friend of mine, at an elementary school in Virginia, was taught that rain was "Jesus' tears" during a lesson on the water cycle.
Old Jul 18th 2016, 6:18 pm
Banned

Canveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond repute

As an answer to the original question.....

We left Texas a month ago. It is a big place and Dallas is very different to Houston, where we lived. We have now moved to Orlando.

The area we lived in had brilliant public schools, despite the comments in this thread. Our 5 year old came on leaps and bounds during his year in the Katy Public Schools system.

The cost of living was great, we were substantially better off in terms of available money, lifestyle and time.

Someone said that Texas had a fascination with guns and was one of only a few open carry states. 31 out of the 50 states are open carry. In the 6 months we lived there whilst it was open carry I saw one gun.

Texas gets a fair amount of stick on here I've found. "Too hot", "Backwards", "Gun's" etc. I have also noticed this comes almost exclusively from people who have never lived there.

My experience was wholly positive and if I could leave Orlando tomorrow and head back to Texas I would.
Old Jul 18th 2016, 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by Canveydave
.... Someone said that Texas had a fascination with guns and was one of only a few open carry states. 31 out of the 50 states are open carry. In the 6 months we lived there whilst it was open carry I saw one gun. .....
The guns in Texas thing is a myth. Texas has an only average rate of gun ownership (for the US), and was one of the few states where open carry was NOT legal - I believe open carry was legalized in Texas on January 1, 2016.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jul 18th 2016 at 6:32 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.