Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK scientist to USA

UK scientist to USA

Old May 30th 2015, 6:29 pm
Just Joined

SouthernDandy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK scientist to USA

Thanks for all the help, I'll keep looking! Hope to be visiting the US next year regardless to get a taste of the East Coast
Old May 31st 2015, 8:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SouthernDandy
Hi all, just thought I would introduce myself. A 24 year old Environmental/Agricultural Scientist currently finishing up my Masters with plans to hopefully head to the USA for work or a paid relevant intern ship if I can find any.
If you should consider heading west - UC Davis College of Agricultural & Environmental Sciences might also be worth looking into.

You mention Cornell above - the new dean at UC Davis was apparently recruited from there....

Helene Dillard — UC Davis College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences
Old May 31st 2015, 10:02 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

I came to the US on a post-doc and got that simply by writing to people in my field of research, some of whom I'd met at conferences.

US Universities advertise PhDs and post docs by the thousand. You shouldn't have to pay for tuition and will often get a stipend or be able to earn money as a teaching assistant.

Take a look in Nature and use any contacts you can get through your UK advisor and also just write/email researchers with similar interests as you.
Old May 31st 2015, 10:04 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SouthernDandy
Thanks for all the help, I'll keep looking! Hope to be visiting the US next year regardless to get a taste of the East Coast
The East Coast is a very diverse place......South Carolina is very different form Massachusetts.