Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK resident with US citizenship

UK resident with US citizenship

Old Feb 2nd 2011, 6:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

traceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK resident with US citizenship

Originally Posted by stephenry
That's funny... I was in a bar in Sunnyvale on Friday night. I went to the brewery then the "irish" bar across the street with the pool tables. Certainly, an interesting place! Looks like I just missed you! Hahah
If by Brewery you mean the Firehouse I'm surprised you could walk over the road after drinking that distilled meths they sell labeled beer

Yes I can often be found staggering about the place on a friday and saturday night
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 6:51 pm
Just Joined

stephenry is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by md95065
Well, if the OP really wants to live in the Bay Area then Ireland really isn't going to cut it ...

To the OP - you said that you had returned to university to get your MSc and your other comments suggest that you have at least some real work experience although you don't say how much. The good news is that while the US economy still isn't doing particularly well, there are companies here in the Bay Area that are growing and actively hiring new people. The not so good news is that there is a large pool of available talent for them to choose from.

Your best bet is to network like crazy, get on sites like linkedin and get in touch with anyone any everyone you ever knew either in industry or academia that now works anywhere in the US (not just the Bay Area) and try to get some leads and referrals from them.

You are correct that actually being in the area and immediately available for interviews is going to be important, but remember that accommodation out here isn't cheap and part time jobs like bar tending are also very hard to come by. Do you have friends or relatives out here that you could stay with for a few months?
It's all relative, I guess. Even in a down turn in the US, it's still better than the UK for electronics jobs. This is no exaggeration let me tell you. I have approximately 6-7 years of industrial experience, so I'm not a wet-behind-the-ears graduate. At least being in the San Jose area I could apply for jobs that exist. In the UK (particularly Scotland) there ARE no jobs, never mind actually convincing someone to hire you.

I don't have any friends or family in the states. I know that accommodation is very, very expensive but the fact that people do work in bars and shops and do make a living suggests that it can be done. Precisely how difficult this would be I'm trying to ascertain. I know people that have done it and I know it can be done, but living in a very expensive state like CA is the thing that is unique in my position.
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 7:09 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by traceym
If by Brewery you mean the Firehouse I'm surprised you could walk over the road after drinking that distilled meths they sell labeled beer

Yes I can often be found staggering about the place on a friday and saturday night
Yes, I was there talking to some nasty, nasty wench (eek) when some random dude handed her a feather. Some random dude handing out feathers! Needless to say, I was somewhat taken aback by the turn of events as such a sight is not normal to me and is typically frowned upon in Glasgow. It was only later I was told that he was a drug dealer and used this as his calling card to signal he had joints to sell. This amazed me given that I neither do drugs, want to ever do drugs or expected to see such a shady character in such a wealthy area. Needless to say I eventually left, but not after eloping with a little Thai number that told me "yo' accent so sex-ry!". A very, very strange night for a simple single guy from Glasgow!
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 7:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

traceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I was there talking to some nasty, nasty wench (eek) when some random dude handed her a feather. Some random dude handing out feathers! Needless to say, I was somewhat taken aback by the turn of events as such a sight is not normal to me and is typically frowned upon in Glasgow. It was only later I was told that he was a drug dealer and used this as his calling card to signal he had joints to sell. This amazed me given that I neither do drugs, want to ever do drugs or expected to see such a shady character in such a wealthy area. Needless to say I eventually left, but not after eloping with a little Thai number that told me "yo' accent so sex-ry!". A very, very strange night for a simple single guy from Glasgow!
Think yourself lucky you didnt bump into Father Christmas handing out pressies...................I jest not, all year, most weekends, we have a colorful array of 'people' in Sunnyvale!
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 9:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not really a software engineer.
We hire hardware engineers as well as software engineers.
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 10:23 pm

citizenmarie is an unknown quantity at this point

Like others here I highly recommend you just come over and look for jobs in your field. You can easily get a flat share. And there are lots of tech jobs in the Bay Area. I'm a web designer and this is the place to be. (I'm British and 10 years in SF). Here are some resources for you:

- put your info and resume on this site: http://www.linkedin.com/ -- it really works. Start connecting and get people to put references on there too.

- you've probably heard of craigslist? Not very utilized in the UK, but here it's the go-to place for everything: flats, jobs, etc: http://sfbay.craigslist.org/

- remember to file your taxes every year Use http://turbotax.intuit.com/
-- very easy!

- join one of the many meetups,to get connected. eg: http://www.meetup.com/brit-92/

Enjoy!
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 10:28 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by citizenmarie
Like others here I highly recommend you just come over and look for jobs in your field. You can easily get a flat share. And there are lots of tech jobs in the Bay Area. I'm a web designer and this is the place to be. (I'm British and 10 years in SF). Here are some resources for you:

- put your info and resume on this site: http://www.linkedin.com/ -- it really works. Start connecting and get people to put references on there too.

- you've probably heard of craigslist? Not very utilized in the UK, but here it's the go-to place for everything: flats, jobs, etc: http://sfbay.craigslist.org/

- remember to file your taxes every year Use http://turbotax.intuit.com/
-- very easy!

- join one of the many meetups,to get connected. eg: http://www.meetup.com/brit-92/

Enjoy!
Hey thanks a lot citizenmarie... that sounds like some really good information. I'm going to check out craigslist to see the price of flat shares around the area. That's been a big help, thanks!
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 10:28 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

I am looking to immigrate to the US over the following months. I am lucky enough to have full US citizenship so I have no problem living or working over there.

I have recently graduated (after returning to university) with an MSc. in Computer Science at a very good university here in the UK (Edinburgh - actually, the top rated university for Comp. Sci). At present, I am looking at either finding a job here in the UK, or moving to work in the US. To me, this decision is a no brainer and I intend to move to the San Francisco/San Jose area.

Since I suspect the chances that a company would be willing to fly me from Scotland to the US for an interview would be very small, I am looking to move over there, get a stupid part time job (perhaps in a bar) and look for a real job when I'm over there.

Has anybody out there done this before and would it be a recommended choice of action? Are there other possibilities that I'm not considering?

Kind regards,

Steve
if you think about it too much you'll tie yourself in knots.

just do it mate......
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 10:30 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Are you also a UK citizen? If not have you thought of doing that before moving to US, makes things nice and easy if you happen to end up back in UK. Or are offered a job transfer to Europe in general.
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 10:32 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Are you also a UK citizen? If not have you thought of doing that before moving to US, makes things nice and easy if you happen to end up back in UK. Or are offered a job transfer to Europe in general.
Fortunately, I am a citizen of both UK and US.
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 11:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by traceym
I'm female and I was out in Sunnyvale not Mountain View on saturday night
'Little Miss Transsexual' eh?
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 11:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
'Little Miss Transsexual' eh?
OOOOOOOOOOOO we havent got one of those in the family............YET!
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 2:41 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

I am looking to immigrate to the US over the following months. I am lucky enough to have full US citizenship so I have no problem living or working over there.
As someone else has said, you need to be up to date on your US federal taxes. You may need to file returns for up to 6 years previously if you have not already done so.

You'll need a Social Security number if you've not already got one - be prepared for some hassle as they don't normally like it when an adult US citizen applies for a Social Security number the first time. They'll want to know why it was not done before.

Also, if you haven't registered for Selective Service - do it now. If you wait until you are 26 they won't accept registration and it can cause you problems later on. http://www.sss.gov

You say you're a British citizen - but were you born in the UK? If no, you need to understand how being British "by descent" will impact whether any future US born children you have are entitled to British citizenship.
Old Feb 10th 2011, 9:56 pm

citizenmarie is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey thanks a lot citizenmarie... that sounds like some really good information. I'm going to check out craigslist to see the price of flat shares around the area. That's been a big help, thanks!
Sure thing! Love to know how it goes for you...
Old Feb 10th 2011, 10:37 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Alos you can look on www.dice.com for work