Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK police certificate questions

UK police certificate questions

Old Jun 24th 2001, 7:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

brianr is an unknown quantity at this point

I have already sent off for my certificate from the UK police, so whatever is coming is coming, but it set me wondering; "What is actually ON one of these things?"

I recall SOMEONE saying that it would only contain records relating to offences that you were arrested for, but the form said it was in relation to the UK Data Protection Act, which means it will be everything they have about you on the Police National Computer that they are prepared to release.

A few years ago I had a speeding ticket and there is a court certified order detailing maintenance payments to my ex-wife. I don't think these would worry the INS (how many Americans have NOT had a ticket before and divorce isn't exactly unusual these days), but would either of those be the kind of thing included on the certificate?

Is there a link to an example certificate online anywhere and is there any guidance or examples as to what the INS would find "acceptable" if it were on a certificate?

Brian.
Old Jun 24th 2001, 7:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ameriscot is an unknown quantity at this point

The police certificate just details your 'prosecution/conviction history', not necessarily everything that is stored about you.
Old Jun 25th 2001, 4:24 am
Deb

Ameriscot <[email protected]>
    >
    >

Hi, i know you have a lot of info already but this may help. I live in australia now
but used to live in the uk. The bedfordshire police were really helpful and emailed
me the forms as i wasnt able to go and pick them up. They crossed off the stuff I
didnt have to fill in. I will check which parts i didnt have to fill in. Then i just
sent it back to them (snail mail) and they wrote back with a receipt and said it
would take about 8 weeks (including post to Australia) to get back to me. God I hope
it is quicker but im not holding my breath. One think im a bit confused on....when i
get the certificate back do I have to do fill in anything else or is this all the US
consulate wants???

Deb

Old Jun 26th 2001, 9:38 am
BE Enthusiast

brianr is an unknown quantity at this point

> The police certificate just details
> our 'prosecution/conviction history',
> not necessarily everything that is
> stored about you.

Well, I have never stood in a dock as an accused person let alone been convicted, so that should mean I get a clean bill of health.

> when i get the certificate back do I
> have to do fill in anything else or is
> this all the US consulate wants???

From what I read, you just need to bring it with you for the interview (and a zillion photocopies, just in case) ;-)

Brian.