Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK Pensions and U.S. reporting

UK Pensions and U.S. reporting

Old Oct 24th 2014, 9:55 pm
Just Joined

littleredwood is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK Pensions and U.S. reporting

I'm a UK citizen, permanent resident of the U.S. and living in the U.S. since 2010.

I have a personal pension plan that I contributed to in the UK, but haven't touched since I left. I'm not retired, so don't receive any distributions.

It's worth a tiny amount (≈$15,000) and I've been been declaring it on FBAR and 8938 (when other things pushed me over the limit.) But, after poking around the internet got scared about 8833, 3520, 3520-A, income tax, etc.

There are lots of useful threads on this board, but they're all closed now, so I've started a new one.

My situation seems very much like kodokan's (whom I can't private message, as I haven't made three posts to the forum yet!)

Like her situation, I have a stakeholder SERPS-opt-out-funded pension, invested in a unit trust. There are no reported dividends or reinvested profits, just an annual statement showing gains on the units and what it might pay out when I retire.

So:

—I haven't been reporting any income on my 1040, as I assumed there was none.
—Haven't filed any tax-treaty claim forms (8833)
—Haven't filed any "grantor trust" forms (3520, 3520-A)
—Have filed FBAR and 8938 when over the limits

I'm generally on the side of kodokan's "do what's reasonable" approach, but kodokan, I'd love to know what you ended up doing, as your posts are all from a couple of years ago.

Thanks!
Old Oct 25th 2014, 5:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Pensions and U.S. reporting

And you have not even mentioned Form 8960 as the NIIT may also be chargeable on income within the plan.
Old Oct 25th 2014, 10:22 pm
Just Joined

I'm well below the threshold of 8960.
Old Oct 26th 2014, 1:40 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cook_County
And you have not even mentioned Form 8960 as the NIIT may also be chargeable on income within the plan.

"May also be".

Of course.

Or more likely, probably not. In reality.
Old Oct 26th 2014, 1:43 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by littleredwood
It's worth a tiny amount (≈$15,000) and I've been been declaring it on FBAR and 8938 (when other things pushed me over the limit.) But, after poking around the internet got scared about 8833, 3520, 3520-A, income tax, etc.

—I haven't been reporting any income on my 1040, as I assumed there was none.
—Haven't filed any tax-treaty claim forms (8833)
—Haven't filed any "grantor trust" forms (3520, 3520-A)
Have filed FBAR and 8938 when over the limits

It sounds like you are doing exactly what you should be doing. Perhaps consider ignoring the scaremongering on forums.
Old Oct 26th 2014, 1:57 am
Just Joined

Thanks for your thoughts!
Old Oct 26th 2014, 8:58 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

You are doing the right things already, just keep filing the informational forms. In the case of pensions the there is not a need to actively claim treaty exemption from US taxation on gains within the pension, so no need to file 8833. The foreign trust stuff is also only for the paranoid.

If you are still a US tax payer when you start taking income from the pension that will have to be reported on your US taxes.