Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Applying for jobs in the US while still in the UK

Applying for jobs in the US while still in the UK

Old Dec 5th 2009, 6:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

katnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to all
Default Applying for jobs in the US while still in the UK

Hi all,

I need to start applying for jobs in the US while in the UK, mostly because of the domicile issue and of course the need to have health insurance, but I'm wondering how to approach this with prospective employers.

My husband's interview is in January and we hope to move over in March but how do I put this to prospective employers in order to get a response. Unfortunately, my skill set is not one that I would be head hunted for and mainly I'll be looking for work in Social Services, non-profits, or admin type roles so not really jobs that I think they would want to keep open for an indefinite period. I did apply to a job that I was extremely qualified for but I don't think I got a look in because I'm not even in the country. I offered to ring them from England if they wanted to arrange an interview but nothing. Realistically there could be other factors as to why I didn't get an interview but I think being out of the country is really a big deterent.

How do othe people tackle this issue? Do you sign up with Monster.com and temp agencies using your US address (i.e. in this a family member's address) and do you explain that you're not in the US but hope to be there soon or do you just use the US address and apply as if you were living there?

Any suggestions, advice, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

Kat
Old Dec 5th 2009, 9:31 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Applying for jobs in the US while still in the UK

Originally Posted by katnap8
... but how do I put this to prospective employers in order to get a response.
First, don't mention that you're in the UK... not even a hint. Give an address and phone number in the US. Find out the name of the person who has the authority to hire you (not the person in HR who screens the resumés in advance) and follow up with a phone call to them a week or so later.

Second, if they want to see you or contact you for an interview, you make yourself available to them... and if that means a trip to the US on short notice, that's what you do.

Ian

Last edited by ian-mstm; Dec 5th 2009 at 9:35 pm.
Old Dec 5th 2009, 9:46 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

k-nap, I've moved your post to the USA forum to be in the right place.
Since you are a US citizen, everyone won't need to ask you 'what visa are you on?'
There are a couple of good threads running right now regarding your questions.
Old Dec 6th 2009, 1:30 am
I'm off to find a spanner

sime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond repute

So uh what visa are you on?
Old Dec 6th 2009, 7:15 am

avanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond repute

I contacted the owner of a franchise that I would like to work for back in July, explaining that I was expecting to relocate back to the US sometime between Dec-Feb and wondered if they might be hiring. She wrote back and said she was happy to receive a resume. I sent a resume, a cover letter and a letter of reference via email. She wrote back a few weeks later (I had to do a followup message, as I hadn't heard anything) and invited me to contact her for an interview when I arrived. My interview will be this Friday.

I was able to use the email correspondance, particularly the bit about coming for an interview, in my domicile package.
Old Dec 6th 2009, 1:32 pm

thinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
First, don't mention that you're in the UK... not even a hint.
+1
Applying for jobs from a different state can turn off employers, let alone a different country.
Old Dec 6th 2009, 5:40 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thinbrit
+1
Applying for jobs from a different state can turn off employers, let alone a different country.
Get down to different city even (depending on the job). I've got a woman who's been in touch with me for two years now about a job; she wants us to hire her before she lives in town, so she has the security of a job to go to, but we need her to be established in town before we can hire her (housing being an issue for us there locally).
Old Dec 6th 2009, 10:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ginblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond repute

Im doing the very same thing as we speak.

I've been looking for just over a week, and had some very positive feedback even already.

I had a chat with a company who are quite keen. Second company have told me to come back when I have a firm relocate date.

No point in mistruths and of course, unless you can drop everything and start, so IMHO I don't think there is much point in skirting around the issue. Plus, for some industries and training, you have to be there already anyhow....
Old Dec 15th 2009, 9:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

katnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to all

I understand what people are saying about not mentioning that I'm still in the UK, especially with the current economic climate but how will I explain that on my resume I've listed my current employment with date started to present with a UK address but listing a US address for the resume.

Should I email the HR department and find out if they would consider my resume or should I just explain what is happening on the cover letter?

Thanks in advance.
Old Dec 15th 2009, 9:43 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Just remove UK references, you don't need addresses for the companies, just company name and dates of employment.
Old Dec 15th 2009, 10:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't even put the company name, just

Employer: Available on request

and the dates, or date to present on the last one.
Old Dec 16th 2009, 8:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bob
Just remove UK references, you don't need addresses for the companies, just company name and dates of employment.

I have two jobs, one fulltime admin role for a private company that does work for the local council and the other as a casual support worker for the local council, unfortunately the name of the council will be a give away that it is not in the area.

I really want to stress my local authority employment as that is the type of work I will be looking for when I move back to the US. I guess I could not list the employer as BritishGuy said, but I've never not listed an employer's name on a resume and to me it appears strange.
Old Dec 16th 2009, 6:25 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by katnap8
I guess I could not list the employer as BritishGuy said, but I've never not listed an employer's name on a resume and to me it appears strange.
In my neck of the woods, UK stands for University of Kentucky and not United Kingdom. If you were to use initials for some parts of the company name, most folks in the US wouldn't even bat an eye let alone put 2+2 together.

Ian
Old Dec 17th 2009, 5:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

In fact I'm wearing a 'UK' t-shirt as I type this.

They make very comfortable shirts.
Old Dec 17th 2009, 7:10 pm
Forum Regular

Kneeno is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a rather natty UK hoodie. I'll be wearing it back in Ky tomo as I'm back over there for the hols.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.