Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK passport renewal from the US

UK passport renewal from the US

Old Nov 20th 2017, 4:46 pm
Forum Regular

Millski is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK passport renewal from the US

I've had a good search of the forum but I can't seem to find any recent posts which match my situation.

I'm currently working in the US on an L1A visa. I'm planning a trip back to the UK for Christmas, and will be there from December 23rd to the 31st. My passport expires on May 2nd 2018; which is within 6 months of my return date.

I looked into applying online however it would appear that they want you to return your old passport (presumably before they'll issue the new one?), obviously I can't do this as it contains my visa. Is my only option to book a 1 day appointment at the passport office while I am back in the UK and hope they don't try to take my old passport? This assumes they are open over the Christmas holidays, the online booking calendar only goes up to the 11th.

I'd appreciate some advice from anyone who has gone through the same process!

Chris
Old Nov 20th 2017, 5:18 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK passport renewal from the US

Originally Posted by Millski
I've had a good search of the forum but I can't seem to find any recent posts which match my situation.

I'm currently working in the US on an L1A visa. I'm planning a trip back to the UK for Christmas, and will be there from December 23rd to the 31st. My passport expires on May 2nd 2018; which is within 6 months of my return date.

I looked into applying online however it would appear that they want you to return your old passport (presumably before they'll issue the new one?), obviously I can't do this as it contains my visa. Is my only option to book a 1 day appointment at the passport office while I am back in the UK and hope they don't try to take my old passport? This assumes they are open over the Christmas holidays, the online booking calendar only goes up to the 11th.

I'd appreciate some advice from anyone who has gone through the same process!

Chris
Your old passport will be returned to you. Don't be alarmed if you get just the new one first -- they are sent in separate packages.
Old Nov 20th 2017, 5:19 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

If you apply online or in person your old passport will be returned to you.
Old Nov 20th 2017, 6:34 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

You're overthinking the issue. Enjoy your Christmas in the UK and apply online to renew your passport at your leisure once you are back in the US. Turnaround time is around a fortnight and your old passport will be returned to you. The new passport will be delivered separately and usually arrives first.
Old Nov 20th 2017, 7:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

robtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond repute

Did this recently for my daughter, we got the new passport and the old one all sent to us within 10 days of when we posted it stateside. The Visa remains in the old passport( which comes back with a corner cut out), just carry them both in future.
Old Nov 21st 2017, 6:41 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks everyone for the input, I do tend to get my bundies in a bunch over stuff like this! Does it matter that my passport expires within 6 months of my scheduled return date or is that only an issue when applying for an ESTA?
Old Nov 21st 2017, 8:06 pm
Just Joined

ChrisK is an unknown quantity at this point

Since I was back in the UK this week, I renewed my UK passport on Monday - I did an online application for a renewal and booked an appointment. The passport was ready and waiting for me, took all of 5 minutes at one of the UK passport offices (and they cancelled the old one there and then too).

Couldn't have been simpler.
Old Nov 21st 2017, 8:29 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks everyone for the input, I do tend to get my bundies in a bunch over stuff like this! Does it matter that my passport expires within 6 months of my scheduled return date or is that only an issue when applying for an ESTA?
It doesn't matter in either case.
Old Jan 15th 2018, 6:29 pm
Just Joined

johnny_english is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Chris,
I'd love to know how did it go for you? Did you end up getting the renewal or travelled on the existing passport? I am in a similar situation.

cheers
Old Jan 18th 2018, 6:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Fred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to all

Just to let you know that if you travel on existing passport, your I94 will only admit you until your passport expiry, when you return, if passport expiry is earlier than visa

Then you have the drama of extensions
We have been waiting 239 days for an approved extension
If you do not apply for such extension, then you will be alllowed to remain in US until your I94 expiry. I wont have to go through this again, I recommend you get your new UK passport. Turnaround is quick, under 10 days. Get entry under such new passport

If you live in a state where DL is set to I94, you could find you can not drive legally
Pending Extensions are not valid to extend DL in some states
Old Jan 18th 2018, 6:37 pm
Forum Regular

CA-NY has a reputation beyond reputeCA-NY has a reputation beyond reputeCA-NY has a reputation beyond reputeCA-NY has a reputation beyond reputeCA-NY has a reputation beyond reputeCA-NY has a reputation beyond reputeCA-NY has a reputation beyond reputeCA-NY has a reputation beyond reputeCA-NY has a reputation beyond reputeCA-NY has a reputation beyond reputeCA-NY has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred16
Just to let you know that if you travel on existing passport, your I94 will only admit you until your passport expiry, when you return, if passport expiry is earlier than visa
Not in my experience. I recently entered and the I-94 was dated with the visa expiry date which is after my passport expiry date.
Old Jan 18th 2018, 7:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Fred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by CA-NY
Not in my experience. I recently entered and the I-94 was dated with the visa expiry date which is after my passport expiry date.
Does not surprise me, this is wrong by the way.
I would re-check on line to see if they have amended it (if that is even possible )

In our experience, they make errors 20-30% of the time
We have even been admitted as B1, when on L1/L2, but only 1 of the family member, when travelling together!
Old Oct 16th 2018, 11:12 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by johnny_english
Hi Chris,
I'd love to know how did it go for you? Did you end up getting the renewal or travelled on the existing passport? I am in a similar situation.

cheers
Sorry, I only just noticed this question. Presumably you have got your new passport sorted now, but just in case you haven't, I ended up booking a same-day appointment at the Newport passport office on the 27th of Dec which was the first day they opened after Christmas. I went back to pick up my new passport about 4 hours later, my old passport was returned at the same time with the corners clipped.

On returning to the US I was sent to secondary screening (no idea if presenting the border agent with two passports had anything to do with this), but I was in and out within 20 minutes and I was admitted until the expiration date on my visa.
Old Oct 22nd 2018, 2:13 pm
Just Joined

johnny_english is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry, I only just noticed this question.....
Thanks for the update. I did exactly the same, using same day service. I did not have to go through secondary, though there was a two hour queue at the Newark airport immigration.