Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK Passport Renewal taking a really long time

UK Passport Renewal taking a really long time

Old Apr 15th 2011, 2:55 pm
Happy with my lot For now

anne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to all
Default Re: UK Passport Renewal taking a really long time

Originally Posted by GGTrek
UK embassy in Washington received my child new passport application on the 25th of February, charged my credit card on the 11th of April: more than 6 weeks after they received the application!!! From what I have understood I shall have to wait another 6 weeks to receive the passport: that gives 3 months time!!!
I have already sent an email to the foreign office in London and asking them to start investigating the huge delays at the UK Embassy in Washington, explain the reasons and what they are doing to address these delays. I have a trip to Europe already booked at the end of May and if I have to cancel it I shall take FCO to a civil claim court in the UK and ask for compensation: they are ridicoulous!
That really seems an excessive time. Good luck I hope you get resolution soon. But as was my case and seems to be that of others, the passports are turning up approx 2 weeks after CC charged
Old Apr 15th 2011, 6:29 pm
Just Joined

mama4mia is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kellyg41378
Thanks all for the feedback on receive a confirmation card. I did send it UPS not USPS. I called the careline today and they are not showing my renewal request anywhere in their system. Do you think info only shows up in their system once they have charged your card? I assume yes since the careline would not even speak to me until I gave them my credit card info to pay for the call. Supposedly my request is going to be escalated and I should expect to receive a call or email in 3 working days...Based on info I have seen on this site, I am not holding my breath for a call.
My son's passport never appeared on their system even after 4weeks post payment date. However, when I called Careline for the 2nd time and had the application escalated instead of a phone call within 72 hours I actually received the passport. Fingers crossed for you that you will get the same result. My son's passport took 8 weeks from the day I posted it to the day we received it.
Good luck
Old Apr 19th 2011, 3:00 pm
Just Joined

GGTrek is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by anne55
That really seems an excessive time. Good luck I hope you get resolution soon. But as was my case and seems to be that of others, the passports are turning up approx 2 weeks after CC charged
I got my child's passport yesterday exactly one week after they finally charged my credit card
I guess escalating to the Foreign Office in London helped to speed up the process (which was not fast by any mean since they received it on the 25th of February and sent it back on the 14th of April: 7 weeks total!)
Old Apr 19th 2011, 3:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Still waiting here......
Old Apr 19th 2011, 3:57 pm
Happy with my lot For now

anne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
Still waiting here......
Oh no!! surely you will get it this week
Old Apr 19th 2011, 6:56 pm
Just Joined

Ergonome is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm pleased to say that my passport was returned yesterday. A day short of 8weeks since it was sent (22 Feb). Visa debited on 21 March. At least this means I can travel this week.

I hope that everyone else gets theirs sorted out soon.
Old Apr 20th 2011, 4:46 pm
Just Joined

BrookeNYC is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone,

I found this post really helpful last week when I was panicking about my passport, and as a result called the Careline and escalated my case. Thanks for your help! Here is my timeline, in case it's useful to anyone:

21st March: Application accepted in DC

April 15th: Credit card charged

April 19th: I phoned the Careline after reading this thread, and was told it takes 4 weeks from charging the card. I told them I was traveling on 6th May - info that I had already written on the form - and the very nice lady on the phone took all my travel details - flight number, time, date, and airports, etc. She said she would email DC and that it was at their discretion to escalate my case, but then:

April 20th: Passport arrived this morning! Issued yesterday clearly as a result of my phone call.

I'll just add that I had a terrible time trying to call the Careline because I only have a smartphone, and was unable to enter my credit card info because the touchtones didn't work. Make sure you call from a landline or an old school cellphone/mobile that doesn't have a touch screen.

Hope this helps someone in a similar situation!
Old Apr 20th 2011, 5:20 pm
Just Joined

steevun is just really nicesteevun is just really nicesteevun is just really nicesteevun is just really nicesteevun is just really nicesteevun is just really nicesteevun is just really nicesteevun is just really nice

Originally Posted by BrookeNYC
Hi everyone,

I found this post really helpful last week when I was panicking about my passport, and as a result called the Careline and escalated my case. Thanks for your help! Here is my timeline, in case it's useful to anyone:

21st March: Application accepted in DC

April 15th: Credit card charged

April 19th: I phoned the Careline after reading this thread, and was told it takes 4 weeks from charging the card. I told them I was traveling on 6th May - info that I had already written on the form - and the very nice lady on the phone took all my travel details - flight number, time, date, and airports, etc. She said she would email DC and that it was at their discretion to escalate my case, but then:

April 20th: Passport arrived this morning! Issued yesterday clearly as a result of my phone call.

I'll just add that I had a terrible time trying to call the Careline because I only have a smartphone, and was unable to enter my credit card info because the touchtones didn't work. Make sure you call from a landline or an old school cellphone/mobile that doesn't have a touch screen.

Hope this helps someone in a similar situation!
Thanks for sharing your experience. This seems like a rather quick turn around time from when you called Careline to having the passport arrive this morning.. Sounds like it was probably on its way regardless..

Who knows.. My application/money order was processed on April 7 and I haven't received anything yet.. Tomorrow marks 5 weeks since they received the application..
Old Apr 20th 2011, 5:23 pm
Just Joined

BrookeNYC is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by steevun
Thanks for sharing your experience. This seems like a rather quick turn around time from when you called Careline to having the passport arrive this morning.. Sounds like it was probably on its way regardless..

Who knows.. My application/money order was processed on April 7 and I haven't received anything yet.. Tomorrow marks 5 weeks since they received the application..
I'm pretty sure they had it shipped next day after I called - other people on this thread have had the same experience and the date of issue is 19th April. I'd definitely recommend calling and chasing them up - especially if, like me, you need to travel soon.
Old Apr 20th 2011, 5:34 pm
Just Joined

steevun is just really nicesteevun is just really nicesteevun is just really nicesteevun is just really nicesteevun is just really nicesteevun is just really nicesteevun is just really nicesteevun is just really nice

Originally Posted by BrookeNYC
I'm pretty sure they had it shipped next day after I called - other people on this thread have had the same experience and the date of issue is 19th April. I'd definitely recommend calling and chasing them up - especially if, like me, you need to travel soon.
Yeah, I'm headed out to London on April 26 but I'll just enter with my US passport.. I did mail in my flight itinerary with the application but sounds like that doesn't really matter unless you call to have them escalate.. Not too keen about having my UK passport sitting around my work office for 2 weeks while I'm away, but since I won't be home there wouldn't be anyone there to sign for it..

I figure if it doesn't come tomorrow, then I won't see it until I return to the States.. From what I read, the UK Embassy will be closed on April 22, 25 and 29..
Old Apr 20th 2011, 6:22 pm
Just Joined

rachiedavis is an unknown quantity at this point

I avoided calling the Careline for a long time because it seemed most people reported it wasn't helpful and was terribly expensive.

But last Friday (the 15th) with a travel date of April 25th looming, I figured it couldn't hurt to call. I was feeling desperate and felt like I needed to try everything and anything regardless of cost.

The gentleman at Careline said my application was processed and approved (so at least I knew it wasn't going to be rejected, which was a fear of mine because I required a name change and was concerned about supporting documentation etc.), but that it still had two weeks to go in the system. He couldn't really tell me what that meant, just that it had 2 weeks left in the system. When I asked if he could do anything to expedite the process since I had a booked trip coming up, he told me no, nothing he could do.

In frustration I sent an email to the customer service address at the ukinusa website complaining about the 4 week suggested processing time not being accurate currently and that perhaps an update to the website is in order.

At that point, I was feeling very down in the dumps and panicked about the whole thing. I had been in contact with Dean on this message board who said he might be able to help me if I was within 5 days of my travel date and still no passport, but I wasn't feeling hopeful about much of anything! But I live in Atlanta and figured I would go to the consulate here on Monday morning to see if it was possible for me to get an emergency passport.

While I was waiting for the gentleman at the consulate to make some phone calls to Washington on my behalf, my husband was texting,emailing and calling me frantically to say UPS had just delivered my passport! I couldn't believe it.

So it must have been printed Friday, or sooner, to get in the UPS system and on its way to me for Monday. So, I don't know if the guy at Careline just didn't know that information when I called on Friday, or if my calling him prompted a rush on my application even though he said he couldn't do anything for me. Or maybe my complaint email? Or maybe the sweet soul processing my application in Washington saw my travel date and was sure to push things through regardless of anything else and my passport would have mailed friday anyway. I'll never know.

In summary:
March 15: App signed for in Washington
April 8th: Credit card charged
April 15th: Called Careline. Told application would take 2 more weeks
April 18th: UPS delivered passport!

Just a day shy of 5 weeks.

Good luck to anyone else in a passport predicament. Keeping my fingers crossed for all of you!
Old Apr 21st 2011, 1:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rachiedavis
In summary:
March 15: App signed for in Washington
April 8th: Credit card charged
April 15th: Called Careline. Told application would take 2 more weeks
April 18th: UPS delivered passport!

Just a day shy of 5 weeks.

Good luck to anyone else in a passport predicament. Keeping my fingers crossed for all of you!
That's not a bad timeline. Ours is:

March 9th: Signed for in Washington
April 1st: Credit card charged (I'm still hoping it wasn't an April Fool's joke!)
Still waiting, waiting, waiting....

We don't have immediate travel plans (not until mid-August.) But if it hasn't shown up by the end of April I'm going to get a bit huffy! Seems like the people who called the Careline are getting better results!
Old Apr 21st 2011, 10:04 pm
Forum Regular

Eilowny is just really niceEilowny is just really niceEilowny is just really niceEilowny is just really niceEilowny is just really niceEilowny is just really niceEilowny is just really niceEilowny is just really nice

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
That's not a bad timeline. Ours is:

March 9th: Signed for in Washington
April 1st: Credit card charged (I'm still hoping it wasn't an April Fool's joke!)
Still waiting, waiting, waiting....

We don't have immediate travel plans (not until mid-August.) But if it hasn't shown up by the end of April I'm going to get a bit huffy! Seems like the people who called the Careline are getting better results!
And I'm still waiting, they got the application on Feb 24th, card was charged (24th March) & cleared payment on the March 26th & still no sign of it, I'm willing to wait til the 26th of this month but by then that will be 9 weeks from them first receiving it & almost 5 weeks from the payment being taken from the account, not very happy at all.

It's not even a first time application, only a name change so I can get on with residency stuff for Canada
Old Apr 21st 2011, 10:10 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Eilowny
And I'm still waiting, they got the application on Feb 24th, card was charged (24th March) & cleared payment on the March 26th & still no sign of it, I'm willing to wait til the 26th of this month but by then that will be 9 weeks from them first receiving it & almost 5 weeks from the payment being taken from the account, not very happy at all.

It's not even a first time application, only a name change so I can get on with residency stuff for Canada
Hard to understand the process.. It's clear that others who have sent in their applications well after you have received their passports, yet the website states that applications are processed based on first-come basis..

Either way, waiting til the 26th doesn't matter at this point since the offices will be closed April 22 & 25..
Old Apr 21st 2011, 11:05 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steevun
It's clear that others who have sent in their applications well after you have received their passports, yet the website states that applications are processed based on first-come basis.
Just because processing involves a "first-come" scenario, it doesn't necessarily follow that it involves a "first-finished" scenario.

Ian

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.