Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK Passport Renewal taking a really long time

UK Passport Renewal taking a really long time

Old May 21st 2011, 12:44 am
Forum Regular

pTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: UK Passport Renewal taking a really long time

Originally Posted by Bob
True, but they also don't know how many people have had expired passports for years before renewing them...and there's still only the same number of bods doing the processing regardless.
With the Olympics coming up next year, I wonder how many decided to re-up their passports for a trip back to Blighty before then.

Personally, we chose to travel in October this year because the airfare was affordable then, and we were planning to give a trip to England a miss next year for fear that all travel costs (transportation, lodging, etc) will be considerably higher next year due to the Olympics.
Old May 21st 2011, 12:55 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Sure, but why would that number change drastically from year to year? The "unprecedented demand" excuse is lame, especially as they're not saying they're doing anything is alleviate the situation. The trouble is expats have very little leverage: they often don't vote and they often pay little or nothing in taxes to the UK.
Yeah, it is a bit lame...but then it is gearing up towards the summer holidays...it was taking them a couple of weeks in the new year.
Old May 21st 2011, 5:19 am
Just Joined

Handle is an unknown quantity at this point

Definition of unprecedented...."without previous instance; never before known or experienced; unexampled or unparalleled".

I have to agree. It's a lame excuse.

Here's the letter (confidentail details omitted)

Dear Mr XXXX

Thank you for your letter, which I received today.

On checking our system I can see that your application is nearing the end of the process and should be despatched either today or tomorrow under UPS tracking number XXXXXXXXXXX

With regards to our processing times, our aim is to process straightforward passport applications within 4 weeks from the date they are sent by the applicant; for first time applications and more complex applications 6 weeks should be allowed. The processing times are from the date of despatch by the applicant. However, we are currently experiencing unprecedented levels of demand for our services and although we aim to process applications as quickly as possible some delays are occurring. I apologise for the delay.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if you do not receive your passport by the end of the week so that I can follow up with UPS.

Yours sincerely

XXXXX
Old May 21st 2011, 2:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Yeah, it is a bit lame...but then it is gearing up towards the summer holidays...it was taking them a couple of weeks in the new year.
Have they never had to deal with a summer before?
Old May 21st 2011, 2:52 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Have they never had to deal with a summer before?
No, but they also haven't had to move the processing over to the UK before either.

It's not like the UK are the only folks who stutter at the summer holidays...took BIL 10 weeks to get his US passport and he renewed it from within the US.

Not having the info clearly on the website to make this much clearer is shit though.
Old May 21st 2011, 6:57 pm
Just Joined

rob5252 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by penguinbar
My husband is Scottish and I would have to agree! It's also now 5 weeks since they charged our credit card and still nothing. I don't want to waste money calling Careline.
Don't bother with the "Care Line". I called the "Care Line" and they were unable to offer me any more information than "it's being processed". When I asked them if things could be hurried up (I am scheduled to fly v.soon and they have had the thing for 2 months!), they said my only option is to go to my nearest consulate and apply for an emergency travel document. $15 poorer, I was none-the-wiser.
Old May 21st 2011, 7:05 pm
Just Joined

rob5252 is an unknown quantity at this point

After reading all of the posts - can anybody advise how low a straightforward renewal is now taking? Application sent 03/15. Process started, according to Care Line, 04/11. Today 05/21. Travelling back to Europe 06/01 (hopefully!!!) Any advice?
Old May 21st 2011, 7:31 pm
Just Joined

babannie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by rob5252
After reading all of the posts - can anybody advise how low a straightforward renewal is now taking? Application sent 03/15. Process started, according to Care Line, 04/11. Today 05/21. Travelling back to Europe 06/01 (hopefully!!!) Any advice?
Call your local consulate Monday morning and get an appointment. I think we're going to be in the same boat, because we sent in the passport on 4/16 and still have not seen a single charge come through and CareLessLine says they can't see that its even started processing.

Don't wait. I also have read it'll cost you about $157 bucks for it. There's a form to fill in and you'll need two new passport photos to go with you to the consulate. Hopefully you also made a photo copy of your old passport before you sent it off, that'll help with the proof of who you are.
Old May 21st 2011, 8:19 pm
Forum Regular

pTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of light

My CC was charged on 5/14 to the tune of US$223 for my passport renewal, after they received it on 3/31. (six weeks)

And most of the posts that I am reading suggest that it will take another six weeks for the application to be fully processed. However, if you were able to submit an application with the box where you could detail your intended travel date, it is possible, that should the processing start before that date and with enough to for it to be delivered, it might be expedited.

Last edited by pTeronaut; May 21st 2011 at 8:24 pm.
Old May 21st 2011, 10:36 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rob5252
After reading all of the posts - can anybody advise how low a straightforward renewal is now taking?
If you've read all of the posts, you must surely realize that there is no definitive answer to your question. That said, I suggest it's taking anywhere from 4 weeks to 16 weeks.

Ian
Old May 22nd 2011, 7:04 pm
Forum Regular

StephieFaith83 has much to be proud ofStephieFaith83 has much to be proud ofStephieFaith83 has much to be proud ofStephieFaith83 has much to be proud ofStephieFaith83 has much to be proud ofStephieFaith83 has much to be proud ofStephieFaith83 has much to be proud ofStephieFaith83 has much to be proud ofStephieFaith83 has much to be proud ofStephieFaith83 has much to be proud ofStephieFaith83 has much to be proud of

After reading recent experiences I'm so glad I've got like 5 months before my trip... Some of these wait times are insane.
Old May 22nd 2011, 7:09 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

My daughter's PP is due for renewal. Because she was born in 1985 she has to send the long form of her birth certificate...together with the long form of mine. The last time her PP was renewed we didn't have to send in our birth certificates...because they already have all those details on file from her first passport. I wonder why they need them when they already have all the info.

Old May 22nd 2011, 7:45 pm
staying around

candy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
My daughter's PP is due for renewal. Because she was born in 1985 she has to send the long form of her birth certificate...together with the long form of mine. The last time her PP was renewed we didn't have to send in our birth certificates...because they already have all those details on file from her first passport. I wonder why they need them when they already have all the info.

usually Birth certificates are only required on a renewal if you are not sending expired passport...
Old May 22nd 2011, 7:47 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Because, 1. they often ask applicants for a first adult passport to "re-evidence" eligibility for citizenship (too many cases of child passports issued by mistake to non-citizens) and 2. they don't want to look up the details in their archives.

If there is a problem with this, then a better option is to apply for a Right of Abode stamp in a US passport - in that case, there is a formal right of appeal if refused.
Old May 22nd 2011, 7:49 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by candy wy.
usually Birth certificates are only required on a renewal if you are not sending expired passport...
That's what I thought when daughter told me but I can't see it...maybe I can't see the wood for the trees. What note # or section is it please Candy or can you take a screen shot?

Originally Posted by JAJ
Because, 1. they often ask applicants for a first adult passport to "re-evidence" eligibility for citizenship (too many cases of child passports issued by mistake to non-citizens) and 2. they don't want to look up the details in their archives.

If there is a problem with this, then a better option is to apply for a Right of Abode stamp in a US passport - in that case, there is a formal right of appeal if refused.
It's not her first adult PP...that was when she was 16...she is now 26. Surely if she sends her current PP in for renewal it should be proof enough that she's entitled to a renewal without producing documentation.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; May 22nd 2011 at 7:54 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.