Reload this Page >

UK Passport Renewal taking a really long time

UK Passport Renewal taking a really long time

Old May 9th 2011, 10:24 am
Just Joined

rebekahlalgee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK Passport Renewal taking a really long time

Originally Posted by DCErin
At least going through 16 pages doesn't cost you anything extra! At any rate, I think you can contact Dean via private message after you have posted a minimum number of messages on this forum (I don't remember off-hand what that minimum is but it's somewhere on this forum). His username is British Consul, in case you haven't gathered that by now. He isn't a magician but he is very helpful. I know that the option of getting an emergency travel document is deeply unattractive but it looks like that might be your only option (and you wouldn't have to cancel your flight).

For future reference -- a month isn't enough time, I don't care what the passport website says. They had my documents for a month before they charged my card, and then, after that, it took 7 more weeks (and three calls to Careline) before I got my passport (though mine is new and not a renewal, it woudn't be such a huge difference). As I understand it, it isn't possible to expedite your application until they charge your card, but at this point I doubt very much that your entire passport examination can be completed, start to finish, and mailed to you, before your travel date. The emergency travel document is probably your best bet.
Thanks yeah I did actually go through the whole 16 pages and got no answer! hah well yeah now i know a month isnt long enough im just glad i wont have to do this garbage for another 10 years once i get my real passport........... calling today about my emergency one to see if I can even get it! AGH!
Old May 9th 2011, 4:45 pm
Just Joined

Edensong is an unknown quantity at this point

So, my timeline is as follows:

3/10 mailed application
3/117 recieved postcard dated 3/15 claiming they have received it.

I sent a money order with the application and I don't have anyway of seeing if they have cashed it.

I don't need my passport until October so I'm wondering whether I should just wait it out or whether to call the Careline just to see what's up with my application.

Has anyone a turnaround time on passports that weren't expidited by a call to the careline?
Old May 9th 2011, 6:42 pm
Just Joined

stoneleigh77 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi...I sent my application for passport to be renewed via certified mail and received tracking saying that there was nobody at the embassy that could sign for it. Does anybody know if the embassy requests redelivery, or do I need to do something to get it delivered? Thanks for your help in this matter.
Old May 9th 2011, 7:09 pm
Forum Regular

pTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of light

Yay, "CONSULAR S'VCE WASHINGTONLONDON GB " appeared on my CC online statement today!

They received it on March 31, they got paid May 9. six weeks gone, only another six weeks (barring issues) to go!
Old May 9th 2011, 7:13 pm
Forum Regular

pTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by stoneleigh77
Hi...I sent my application for passport to be renewed via certified mail and received tracking saying that there was nobody at the embassy that could sign for it. Does anybody know if the embassy requests redelivery, or do I need to do something to get it delivered? Thanks for your help in this matter.
Don't worry about it, that happened to me, in fact my first post on this forum is further up this thread saying the same thing.

USPS's tracking is woefully retarded, and your application packet is most likely sitting in the stack of applications waiting to be processed.

Go back to the USPS tracking site and enter my tracking number to see what I mean

Note that it was ~1730 EDT when it actually changed to report delivered.

Last edited by pTeronaut; May 9th 2011 at 7:29 pm.
Old May 9th 2011, 7:15 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Edensong, if I were you I would wait. Little backlogs like this have happened before, they get ironed out and processing goes back to normal. Keep an eye on it but don't call them unless you want to throw away some money. Calling to see 'what's up' (sorry) just slows everything down more.

stoneleigh77, they will pick the mail up in bulk. Don't worry about that message.
Old May 9th 2011, 7:20 pm
Just Joined

Edensong is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by meauxna
Edensong, if I were you I would wait. Little backlogs like this have happened before, they get ironed out and processing goes back to normal. Keep an eye on it but don't call them unless you want to throw away some money. Calling to see 'what's up' (sorry) just slows everything down more.

stoneleigh77, they will pick the mail up in bulk. Don't worry about that message.
Thanks for the advice
Old May 9th 2011, 7:25 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by rebekahlalgee
Thanks yeah I did actually go through the whole 16 pages and got no answer! hah well yeah now i know a month isnt long enough im just glad i wont have to do this garbage for another 10 years once i get my real passport........... calling today about my emergency one to see if I can even get it! AGH!
I called the british consulate in Chicago! They called me back within hours... I leave in 9 days with no sign off it coming anytime soon not even charged yet! BUT a nice man called me back and told me hes going to email them and get them to hurry up IF they dont reply then I will be calling him back on Wednesday he gave me his extension so I dont have to wait hours again from there he said if they cant get it to me on time then I will be able to get a emergency passport! THANK GOD! He put me on hold and was able to tell me right there and then! JUST CALL UR CONSULATE they will help you! good luck to all of you and my fingers are still crossed for myself too! NEVER again will I be so careless! lol
Old May 9th 2011, 8:46 pm
Just Joined

stoneleigh77 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks everyone for your response regarding certified mail signature....just didn't want it sitting at the USPS for 15 days and then get returned...once again, thanks and take care.
Old May 9th 2011, 9:28 pm
Just Joined

ExPatinIndiana is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face Re: UK Passport Renewal taking a really long time

[ Then I call the British consulate wondering about an emergency passport...they say to call back 4 business days before I leave...THAT seems way to soon so I am calling Monday.

They told my son the same thing 8 days before ... wait a couple of more days. It is inconvenient, but when it is close to the line ... they move in! You will have to pay for an emergency passport & it is valid for only a month ... my son's passport was not released in time & we had to amend his return date to fit in with the expiration date.

Don't despair. There were 2 other people there in the same situation the same day, doing the same thing ...

They will give you the necessary documentation to travel.
Old May 9th 2011, 9:37 pm
Just Joined

ExPatinIndiana is an unknown quantity at this point

In particular, your son should be careful not to spend too long outside the USA which can a. put his green card at risk, and b. re-set the 5 year clock for naturalisaton to zero. And if he has not registered for Selective Service, he should do so immediately. http://www.sss.gov[/QUOTE]

Yes, he meets residency requirements.

Thank you so much for your advice! It is really appreciated ...

I just checked 'selective service' website; he did do that while still in school ...

You know your stuff - Thanks.

He is going to apply for citizenship, that is a given. Me; right now - I see no point, unless my situation changes. This passport saga has been somewhat of a wake-up call ... He knows nothing else, but America as his home. although he is proud to be British.

THANKS AGAIN for your advice.

Btw .. I have no idea how to post ...

Last edited by ExPatinIndiana; May 9th 2011 at 9:44 pm.
Old May 9th 2011, 9:41 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ExPatinIndiana

Yes, he meets residency requirements.

Thank you so much for your advice! It is really appreciated ...

I will make sure he registers for 'selective service' - I had no idea!

You know your stuff - Thanks.

He is going to apply for citizenship, that is a given. Me; right now - I see no point, unless my situation changes. This passport saga has been somewhat of a wake-up call ... He knows nothing else, but America as his home. although he is proud to be British.

THANKS AGAIN for your advice.

Btw .. I have no idea how to post ...
If you click on the blue 'Quote' tab located at the bottom right hand side of the post you want to reply to...that post will be quoted above your reply. This is very helpful as it allows us to see whose post you are answering.

Anything else you want to know...just holla.
Old May 9th 2011, 10:31 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ExPatinIndiana
There is no real downside to you naturalizing, and quite a few benefits. You can still be proud to be British; naturalizing takes nothing away from you and opens many more options up.
Pros and Cons to Getting US Citizenship

Even the most devoted America-haters seem to be able to suck it up long enough to get that passport.
Old May 10th 2011, 2:53 pm
Just Joined

Yay They charged my card and they are sending it tomorrow WHY DID THEY MAKE ME WAIT SO LONG AND Make me have mini heart attacks for a MONTH!! When its that simple to get it sent to me like with ONE email?! What ever Im just soo happy they are sending it to me! Oh i dont know if I had said this before but they said I would have qualified for an emergency passport... They didnt ask me why it was an emergency to travel either...weird...

MY TIME LINE
Sent passport
They received 4/6
:::Nothing for over a month:::
Call consulate on 5/9
Get call back 5/10
Card get charged 5/10

::should be getting passport tomorrow!:: (5/11)
Ill let you know if it doesnt come! lol
Old May 10th 2011, 2:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Yay They charged my card and they are sending it tomorrow WHY DID THEY MAKE ME WAIT SO LONG AND Make me have mini heart attacks for a MONTH!! When its that simple to get it sent to me like with ONE email?! What ever Im just soo happy they are sending it to me! Oh i dont know if I had said this before but they said I would have qualified for an emergency passport... They didnt ask me why it was an emergency to travel either...weird...

MY TIME LINE
Sent passport
They received 4/6
:::Nothing for over a month:::
Call consulate on 5/9
Get call back 5/10
Card get charged 5/10

::should be getting passport tomorrow!:: (5/11)
Ill let you know if it doesnt come! lol
Good news!

I think they are holding things up to make money from everybody having to call the premium rate phone line.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.