Reload this Page >

UK Passport Renewal taking a really long time

UK Passport Renewal taking a really long time

Old May 6th 2011, 1:57 pm
Just Joined

uk2us93 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK Passport Renewal taking a really long time

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
I'm pretty sure that's not her email address!

Ian
you might be right but that's where the email came from st this point its not goin to hurt anyone to try....its not gonna got them anything and they may get there passport expedited as I did ....
Old May 6th 2011, 6:00 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by uk2us93
you might be right but that's where the email came from st this point its not goin to hurt anyone to try....its not gonna got them anything and they may get there passport expedited as I did ....
You don't seem to understand. Email addresses usually consist of the format <name>@<domain>. All you included was the domain... and I think even that was incorrect.

Ian
Old May 6th 2011, 6:04 pm
Just Joined

ExPatinIndiana is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face Re: UK Passport Renewal taking a really long time

Originally Posted by pTeronaut
First the good news (for me):

I&PS Washington D.C attempt payment from my credit card.

Now the bad news (for me):

My stupid bank, put a hold on the card.

Well, my wife spoke to the bank and they removed the hold and approved the payment.
Ohh.. yes ... The passport office called me, informing me that my card kept declining. My bank at the same time, kept calling to verify the last transactions on my account. It finally went through, but my bank could only guarantee approval of the charge until Midnight that night. Arrghh! By the time I had told the bank it was a legitimate charge, it was the next day before the passport office tried to make the charge again. It finally went through, but after 3 days of this saga.

I was panicking, because they said after 3 declines, on their website, it would be returned to me. We have since had other problems and still haven't received it - application sent February 18, 2011. Charged March 23, 2011. Passport office informed us May 2, 2011 that although we sent my son's long form birth certificate, we sent MY short form. I guess it says somewhere that we should have sent my long form ... we were very careful to make sure we sent HIS long form .. it is his passport application! I guess, I missed that we should send MY long form ????~ They make this application very difficult!

My son is entitled to a passport from another country too, as a result of my dual nationality. The country is irrelevant, but I got my renewal in 5 weeks last year, even though I had to send additional info. The communication. was great. No long phone menus to go through and you can talk to a LIVE person at anytime, if you prefer. That is so nice, because when you are stressed a automated phone doesn't cut it.

I know hindsight is 20/20, but oh do I wish we had just applied for that one instead. I am proud to be British, but it seems like many of us are having a lot of trouble getting a passport. My son is over in the UK right now on an ER passport. We had to amend his trip, because it expires on May 15, 2011 and he was not due to return until May 18th.

This whole process has been very stressful. Like I said, we applied Feb 18. Charged March 23. The embassy informed us May 2 that there was a problem ... Careline weren't even able to help in mid April ~ we got an ER passport May 12 for travel to London May 13. When the embassy called me the other day to tell me they could not issue his full passport, they didn't even know that he was already over there on an emergency passport ???? Yet, the guy in Washington, DC said, "We are so much more thorough than the USA... we don't just give anyone a passport. We make sure that the person is entitled. Yes we are living in the USA (have for past 26 years), but we are not US citizens. I am not sure what prompted that statement; I guess I just showed dismay that it was the fact they didn't have his mother's LONG form birth certificate ???? I have asked quite a few people, "DO you have easy access to your mother's long form birth certificate?" Not one person said, "YES." ~ It is only required if the person applying was born after 1982.

Now, we will just wait for his passport. I am sending my long form birth certificate I just received. My son will be on his way home May 15th.

I wish all of you the best in getting your passports on time
Old May 6th 2011, 6:08 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ExPatinIndiana
My son is entitled to a passport from another country too, as a result of my dual nationality.
This is interesting, and something I didn't know. Generally speaking, people are entitled to a passport as a result of their own dual nationality... not as a result of the dual nationality of a parent.

Ian
Old May 6th 2011, 6:14 pm
Just Joined

It is Ireland ... I was born there and my father is Irish, too. My mother is English. I hold both passports. My son has always been entitled to an Irish passport. We just haven't done it ... Right now, kind of wish we had. It will all work out, though.

I just empathize with all of those on here right now. This passport stuff has been very stressful; more so, because we make phone calls and rarely get answers. In the mean time, our hair gets more grey by the minute!

Last edited by ExPatinIndiana; May 6th 2011 at 6:18 pm.
Old May 7th 2011, 2:31 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Yes we are living in the USA (have for past 26 years), but we are not US citizens.
Given your passport problems, you may wish to reconsider your decision not to become US citizens.
Old May 7th 2011, 2:46 am
BE Enthusiast

British Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: UK Passport Renewal taking a really long time

Originally Posted by Jhutchnz
After calling Careline last night, I was told that my name was not even in the system. My money order has yet to be cashed.
The first lady I spoke to couldnt really tell me much but cost me $$.
I logged back in and I had received some advice from the Consul.
I called Careline back with the Consuls words of advice and they couldnt esculate my passport because it has yet to pass through passport examiners. I did press the guy on the phone, who DID take my number, info and even flight number and said that I should get a call by Monday.
SIGH!!
However, this same guy adviced me to call my local consulate. I did this morning and I have an appointment 2 days before Departure for an Emergency Document.. I cant really complain..

My only concern is that the ED will be in my maiden name and my flight is in my Married name. Ill see what can be done.. but I believe the worst is over.
Hopefully, by the time I get back, my passport will be here.

Lesson learnt: will apply from London next time!!!

Good luck everyone
For info: The Emergency Travel Document can also state that you are "Also known as".

Dean
Old May 7th 2011, 4:24 am
Just Joined

Unhappy Re: UK Passport Renewal taking a really long time

Originally Posted by JAJ
Given your passport problems, you may wish to reconsider your decision not to become US citizens.
I have thought about it ... For me it is no big deal. My husband is American & I have never really had any issue not being. My son as young as he is, probably yes ... Might not be a bad idea. Then, the USA want to take your UK passport away, though ... We can always reapply, but that isn't the point!
Old May 7th 2011, 4:29 am
Just Joined

DCErin is just really niceDCErin is just really niceDCErin is just really niceDCErin is just really niceDCErin is just really niceDCErin is just really niceDCErin is just really niceDCErin is just really nice

My mum didn't lose her British passport when she became an American citizen. I doubt they even asked her for it. Maybe things have changed since then; she became a citizen in the late 90's, when things were very loose as far as US citizenship was concerned (according to a DHS immigration prosecutor I know).
Old May 7th 2011, 10:51 am
Forum Regular

mick65 is just really nicemick65 is just really nicemick65 is just really nicemick65 is just really nicemick65 is just really nicemick65 is just really nicemick65 is just really nicemick65 is just really nicemick65 is just really nice

Has anyone done the send your passport renewal to a relative in the UK. My passport expires in August and i was wondering if this way works and what the time line is, plus i believe it saves some money too
Old May 7th 2011, 12:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Marocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond repute

I have thought about it ... For me it is no big deal. My husband is American & I have never really had any issue not being. My son as young as he is, probably yes ... Might not be a bad idea. Then, the USA want to take your UK passport away, though ... We can always reapply, but that isn't the point!
That's nonsense. You don't lose your British citizenship by becoming a US citizen.
Old May 7th 2011, 12:55 pm
Forum Regular

pTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Marocco
That's nonsense. You don't lose your British citizenship by becoming a US citizen.
Correct, during my PR interview in Indianapolis, the agent said whilst the oath states that you renounce all allegiance to any previous nation, they don't require you to physically do anything about it.

Except fight against them should the US go to war against them.
Old May 7th 2011, 12:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

British Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DCErin

Interestingly - this is a really arcane note - I read online that a new passport design came into use last fall, but my new passport is the "bird" design that has been used since the UK went biometric. I read that the new design would be phased in (must be using up old stock), but I thought that process would be done by now. This is NOT a complaint; obviously I my passport, thanks, IPS!
Good point Erin. From what I understand, the new design will only be issued in the UK, the older design will continue to be issued overseas until stocks are exhausted and passport printing is repatriated to the UK.

Dean
Old May 7th 2011, 1:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JAJ
The FCO home page suggests it is still responsible for passports outside the UK:
http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and-...ad/passports1/

Given the ongoing problems with issuing passports in Washington, the sooner processing moves to the UK the better. For whatever reason, the Passport Office in Britain doesn't have these regular crises of "excessive demand" - at least, not since 1999. When there was a lot of attention focused on the Passport Office and how they run their operations.
It's a bit confusing. The Identity and Passport Service "owns" the full validity passport function but has "sub-contracted" the processing of passports overseas to the Foreign Office pending repatriation of services back to the UK. The Foreign Office now only owns the Emergency Travel Document function.

The Foreign Office websites are, however, the portal for all UK government services offered overseas.

Dean
Old May 7th 2011, 1:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by uk2us93
Dean i would like to thank you for taking the time to addr the treatment i recieved and want you to know that the information you have provided is greatly appreciated ....Its just a shame that the other consulates throughout the country dont take the same interest as in reading various threads i get the feeling that it is becoming the norm for British Citenzens to be treated poorly .So thanks for restoring some faith lol.... I will defenetly be making my the treatment i rceived known about .... In regards to the Careline the gentlemen i spoke to was very friendly and the information he gave me let me know what to expect. I have a feeling i will have to spend much more of my hard earned money ,to have this taken care of and i do still have enough faith it will betaken care of before i have to leave .
No problem. Just to be clear though, although my own region covers the services offered out of our offices in Atlanta, Denver, Houston, Miami, and Orlando, I also monitor comments on behalf of my two colleagues covering the remainder of North America. If there's a problem, I can either answer it or direct you towards others for assistance.

Dean

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.