Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK to Oregon -- anyone done it?

UK to Oregon -- anyone done it?

Old Jan 11th 2014, 6:01 am
Forum Regular

MattOR is a name known to allMattOR is a name known to allMattOR is a name known to allMattOR is a name known to allMattOR is a name known to allMattOR is a name known to allMattOR is a name known to allMattOR is a name known to allMattOR is a name known to allMattOR is a name known to allMattOR is a name known to all
Default Re: UK to Oregon -- anyone done it?

Originally Posted by transatlantic_chap
Just thought I'd give this a bump in case anyone new had joined... Any UK --> Oregon folks out there?
Moved to Portland with my USC wife 18 years ago. Aside from a couple of stints overseas and on the east coast we have been here most of that time and absolutely love it. Compared to the UK I have found the cost of living lower, salaries higher, and the people generally friendlier. Plus the scenery and outdoor opportunities are among the best you will find anywhere. It does rain a lot between October and June but you can usually count on 3 months of uninterrupted warmth and sunshine in the summer.
Old Jan 11th 2014, 5:23 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MattOR
It does rain a lot between October and June but you can usually count on 3 months of uninterrupted warmth and sunshine in the summer.
I guess it depends what you call a lot. Maybe a lot in a couple of those months. I have a season ticket for Beaver football and I doubt we get rained on that much at games in October or November. When we lived in England we used to visit here every October for at least 2 and sometimes 3 weeks, and very rarely did we get a rainy October. Usually when it does rain it isn't a heavy downpour that stops you getting out and doing things. Now what is a downer is the grey skies in the winter months.
Old Jan 11th 2014, 5:30 pm
Andy

a_J_Martin is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lansbury
I guess it depends what you call a lot. Maybe a lot in a couple of those months. I have a season ticket for Beaver football and I doubt we get rained on that much at games in October or November. When we lived in England we used to visit here every October for at least 2 and sometimes 3 weeks, and very rarely did we get a rainy October. Usually when it does rain it isn't a heavy downpour that stops you getting out and doing things. Now what is a downer is the grey skies in the winter months.
Lansbury's description of the weather matches my experience more so than MattOR's.
Old Jan 13th 2014, 9:01 am
Forum Regular

transatlantic_chap is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for these -- all very interesting/helpful.
Old May 1st 2014, 3:23 pm
Forum Regular

(Just thought I'd give this a bump...)
Old May 1st 2014, 4:00 pm
Forum Regular

canarybats has much to be proud ofcanarybats has much to be proud ofcanarybats has much to be proud ofcanarybats has much to be proud ofcanarybats has much to be proud ofcanarybats has much to be proud ofcanarybats has much to be proud ofcanarybats has much to be proud ofcanarybats has much to be proud ofcanarybats has much to be proud ofcanarybats has much to be proud of

i live in portland. Moved from London in November 2013.

It's great here, lots of great restaurants, bars, nightlife, music scene. Lots of people seem to be moving here at the moment so it's easy to make friends as you are all in the same boat. We are early 30s, no kids so I can't comment on schools or anything like that.

I guess in comparison to London, life feels a lot easier here. We have a much bigger house (renting currently), car, big fridge...;-) It's really easier to do stuff on the weekends and there is a lot to do if you like the outdoors! But seriously, last weekend we got up and did chores at home, had some food with friends, went to ikea, got home with all the stuff and it was only 2pm. I mean that's a full weekend's work in London!

Reading through this thread, I'm excited about the curry house in Bend as I'm absolutely DESPERATE to eat a good curry. There aren't any here (decent ones).

I guess for me, the only negatives are: limited art and theatre and terrible shopping (I am a London girl at heart)!
Old May 2nd 2014, 8:51 am
Forum Regular

That's great to hear -- do you think you'll stay or is this just a short-term move? I'm interested to hear your take on the people too: have you made friends easily? Are there certain characteristics that you like about Portlanders or that you miss about Brits? Whereabouts in PDX are you living, and what do you like about your neighbourhood?
Old May 2nd 2014, 4:17 pm
Forum Regular

canarybats has much to be proud ofcanarybats has much to be proud ofcanarybats has much to be proud ofcanarybats has much to be proud ofcanarybats has much to be proud ofcanarybats has much to be proud ofcanarybats has much to be proud ofcanarybats has much to be proud ofcanarybats has much to be proud ofcanarybats has much to be proud ofcanarybats has much to be proud of

Visas/Greencards permitting, we would like to stay here for about 8-10 years.

We've made friends really easily. It has helped that my husband's work employ a lot of expats who are all very welcoming. Having said that, we have also met a few locals and other Americans who have moved here and aren't connected through his work. They are all really friendly, chilled out etc etc.

I'm living in South East. It's fun. Lots of great restaurants and close to downtown.

I cycle around every day. We only have one car. I love that about Portland - it's so bike friendly.

I've only been here a short time and that was through the winter and we already love it!

Oh you should watch portlandia, it's obviously exaggerated but seriously based in fact!!
Old May 7th 2014, 11:55 am
Forum Regular

I love Portlandia -- I get that it is a comedic exaggeration, but I still like the picture of the city it paints. Plus Fred & Carrie are just naturally very funny people.

It's interesting that you don't mention the weather. Do you find it pretty similar to the UK?
Old May 19th 2014, 1:41 pm
Forum Regular

(Incidentally, any other UK > Oregonians feel free to weigh in...)
Old May 22nd 2014, 8:44 pm
Andy

a_J_Martin is an unknown quantity at this point

Here's the average temps and rainfall in Portland and London...

http://www.worldweatheronline.com/Lo...London/GB.aspx

http://www.worldweatheronline.com/Po...Oregon/US.aspx
Old Aug 14th 2014, 1:10 pm
Forum Regular

How's this summer been, weather-wise?
Old Aug 14th 2014, 3:06 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

How's this summer been, weather-wise?
Hot in the 80s and 90s
Old Aug 14th 2014, 5:05 pm
Forum Regular

It was 38 on Monday!!!! I have literally been roasting in my wooden house. Temperatures have cooled this week a bit thankfully!
Old Aug 14th 2014, 5:29 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by canarybats
Oh you should watch portlandia, it's obviously exaggerated but seriously based in fact!!
I love Portlandia -- I get that it is a comedic exaggeration, but I still like the picture of the city it paints. Plus Fred & Carrie are just naturally very funny people.
Its so funny, because its so reflective of contemporary middle class PNW lifestyles.

I live in Portlands big brother to the North, but cringe in recognition sometimes watching Portlandia.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.