Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK Electrics to US

UK Electrics to US

Old May 27th 2015, 10:40 am
Forum Regular

Springy6 has much to be proud ofSpringy6 has much to be proud ofSpringy6 has much to be proud ofSpringy6 has much to be proud ofSpringy6 has much to be proud ofSpringy6 has much to be proud ofSpringy6 has much to be proud ofSpringy6 has much to be proud ofSpringy6 has much to be proud ofSpringy6 has much to be proud ofSpringy6 has much to be proud of
Default Re: UK Electrics to US

Following this thread with interest as we're starting the take/don't take process.

I seem to remember someone posting a link to a site where you could check specific electrical items but I haven't been able to find it since it became relevant to us!
Old May 27th 2015, 12:35 pm
Forum Regular

Jambodj is an unknown quantity at this point

I am selling most of my electricals but i am interested to see if anyone has taken any decks/music equipment

I have 2 x Technics 1210's, 2 x Pioneer CDJ 1000's and a Mixer. It is a strange request but anyone have any knowledge of these specific items?
Old May 27th 2015, 12:38 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Springy6
Following this thread with interest as we're starting the take/don't take process.

I seem to remember someone posting a link to a site where you could check specific electrical items but I haven't been able to find it since it became relevant to us!
Start with the premise that you're not bringing anything electrical, then consider only those things of high value or great importance. Computers and TVs seem to be where most people's list starts and ends.
Old May 27th 2015, 1:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Has anyone here had an electrician look into utilising the 240v system that supplies US homes?
Apparently older homes (not sure if this applies to newer properties as my research hasn't extended that far, yet) already utilise 240v in the aircon, water heater, washer/dryer and workshop circuits straight from the service panel and, presumably, if your UK 240v machine, etc is rated for 50/60hz I would have thought this an option?
(I'm still looking into bringing workman's tools/workshop tools IF I can utilise the available supply correctly - as already stated, transformers are a bit hit-and-miss! - my site equipment is pretty much just a case of fitting new plugs but some of the workshop stuff is questionable)
Old May 27th 2015, 1:07 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zzrmark
Has anyone here had an electrician look into utilising the 240v system that supplies US homes?
Apparently older homes (not sure if this applies to newer properties as my research hasn't extended that far, yet) already utilise 240v in the aircon, water heater, washer/dryer and workshop circuits straight from the service panel and, presumably, if your UK 240v machine, etc is rated for 50/60hz I would have thought this an option?
(I'm still looking into bringing workman's tools/workshop tools IF I can utilise the available supply correctly - as already stated, transformers are a bit hit-and-miss! - my site equipment is pretty much just a case of fitting new plugs but some of the workshop stuff is questionable)
All US homes receive 240v and it is used for the AC, stove, dryer and water heater. In fact the connection to "the street" is two phase-offset 110v supplies, and each is connected to one half of the breaker box. 240v is obtained by tapping into both the left and right side of the breaker box using a "double" breaker.
Old May 27th 2015, 1:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
All US homes receive 240v and it is used for the AC, stove, dryer and water heater. In fact the connection to "the street" is two phase-offset 110v supplies, and each is connected to one half of the breaker box. 240v is obtained by tapping into both the left and right side of the breaker box using a "double" breaker.
Yup, that bit I am aware of, it was whether 240v is still routinely utilised in certain circuits at the service panel and just whether a registered electrician would be permitted to, in this case, wire a workshop with a 240v outlet supply
Old May 27th 2015, 1:28 pm

Yup, that bit I am aware of, it was whether 240v is still routinely utilised in certain circuits at the service panel and just whether a registered electrician would be permitted to, in this case, wire a workshop with a 240v outlet supply
A licensed electrician, or the homeowner, can wire in a 240v supply. I have done it myself for a dryer and a stove, and it is no harder than connecting any other wire to a breaker, except you have two lives (a black and a red), a neutral, and an earth .... though the US seems to see the earth as optional. - Older dryer connections are wired with only three pins - two lives and a neutral! When he moved in, I upgraded a neighbour's dryer to a four pin cable to match the four pin socket, and he watched me with some combination of curiosity and suspicion as I drilled a connection for the earth to the frame of his dryer.

Last edited by Pulaski; May 27th 2015 at 1:46 pm.
Old May 27th 2015, 1:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

When he moved in, I upgraded a neighbour's dryer to a four pin cable to match the four pin socket, and he watched me with some combination of curiosity and suspicion as I drilled a connection for the earth to the frame of his dryer.
Lol.
I get a (metaphorical) kick every time I plug in a two-pin and see the whole lot arcing merrily!
(Ta for the other info - I have a feeling I'm going to become rather familiar with US electrics when I get here permanently, my good lady is expecting me to build us a shack to live in!)
Old May 27th 2015, 2:06 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Getting someone to do probably isn't a problem.

Getting insurance to cover it, might be. AC and the usual, they expect it, but for other uses like power tools, they might use that as an excuse to void the policy on a claim, so worth getting it in writing that they would cover it.
Old May 31st 2015, 9:08 pm
Just Joined

Sammyantha is an unknown quantity at this point

Will things like lamps work over there? I have 2 tall lamps which work on dimmers and a few bedside lamps.
Old May 31st 2015, 11:12 pm

Originally Posted by Sammyantha
Will things like lamps work over there? I have 2 tall lamps which work on dimmers and a few bedside lamps.
You would need 120v bulbs, and virtually all bulbs in the US have an Edison screw fitting, as opposed to the bayonet fitting which is usual in the UK. So, yes you can bring them, but you'll need to replace the bulb holders, and it might be prudent to replace the wire through the lamp and to the socket because a bulb in the US draws twice the current at half the voltage as a bulb of the same power in the UK, though this much less of an issue with CFLs and LEDs which draw very much less power than incandescent bulbs.

Kits/parts to make or convert lamps are certainly available and it wouldn't be too difficult to reengineer most lamps if you know what you're doing, but it might get pricy if you have to pay someone to do it for you.

Last edited by Pulaski; May 31st 2015 at 11:16 pm.
Old Jun 1st 2015, 2:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
Kettles/rice cookers here are really slow - I think the manufacturers just put US plugs on EU items.
You COULD, but I don't think 1/4 of the power would actually work.
Old Jun 1st 2015, 2:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute

Older dryer connections are wired with only three pins - two lives and a neutral!
...because technically, and done right, the neutral is at ground potential.....Probably....
Old Jun 1st 2015, 2:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bob
Getting someone to do probably isn't a problem.

Getting insurance to cover it, might be. AC and the usual, they expect it, but for other uses like power tools, they might use that as an excuse to void the policy on a claim, so worth getting it in writing that they would cover it.
Even in the USA, big shop kit is 220V. My table saw, and planer work fine here...Now I just need to rig a three phase inverter for my bandsaw.
Old Jun 1st 2015, 2:18 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steveq
Even in the USA, big shop kit is 220V. My table saw, and planer work fine here...Now I just need to rig a three phase inverter for my bandsaw.
Which wasn't what I said was the problem.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.