Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK electrician to work in USA with marriage visa?

UK electrician to work in USA with marriage visa?

Old Mar 26th 2015, 12:47 pm
Just Joined

jayd0406 is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face UK electrician to work in USA with marriage visa?

Hi! I'm American and my boyfriend is English. We are going over options of where is best for us to settle down and I'm having trouble finding information on the process/options for him to work in the US as an electrician. He is a certified electrician in the UK and has been one for 9 years. I have emailed the Texas licensing agency and they haven't been able to be very helpful concerning immigration information other than he can apply for an apprentice license. I am fully aware electrics are much different between the two countries.

I was just wondering if anyone is familiar with this process and could explain it?

Any info would be great!

Jill
Old Mar 26th 2015, 2:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK electrician to work in USA with marriage visa?

I don't know the specifics for Texas, but it is a requirement round here that electricians are licensed (as are all contractors). Immigration status, as long as it's legal, has no bearing on who can obtain a license.
Old Mar 26th 2015, 3:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

States have their own rules and regulations for electricians to be licensed and approved.

Most are also highly unionized. Maybe your local union branch could help in finding out what is needed to qualify as an electrician.
Old Mar 26th 2015, 3:18 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
States have their own rules and regulations for electricians to be licensed and approved.

Most are also highly unionized. .......
In the North East and Great Lakes/ Midwest yes, but not in the South East and South West.

To the OP: I doubt if there is a quick way around the matter of needing to pass exams and have supervised practical experience under the tutelage of a licensed electrician. This likely means (i) getting a license as an apprentice and (ii) taking a job working for a licensed electrician.

Last edited by Pulaski; Mar 26th 2015 at 3:22 pm.
Old Mar 26th 2015, 4:33 pm

thinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond repute

His skills and experience will not count towards a license here in Texas.
To become 'certified' as a Master Electrician he will need to
1) Become an electrical apprentice ($20 a year fee)
2) After working 8,000 hours as an apprentice with on-the-job training under the supervision of a master electrician, and passing the journeyman electrician examination, he can become a Journeyman electrician ($30 annual fee).
3) After a total of 12,000 hours of on-the-job training under the supervision of a master electrician, and having held a journeyman electrician license for at least two years, with a passing score on the master electrician examination, he can finally become a Master Electrician.

If he doesn't wish to reset his career and wait almost 6 years (presuming works a 40 hour week), and 3 years (if he went all out and worked an 80 hour week). He might pursue work in the areas exempt from state licenses. Under which, as long as he met the aforementioned criteria, he could 'retrain' to be a Texas 'licensed electrician'; essentially serving his time while earning a living.
Exemptions:
Electrical Safety and Licensing Frequently Asked Questions

Now remember, this is as it pertains to STATE licensing. Local municipalities may have their own rules. For example the State may exempt the need for a license if he worked at a gas plant, but the municipality that the business was located in may have an ordinance that all work must be completed by a Master Electrician.
It is going to be tricky, but not impossible.

Good luck