Reload this Page >

UK electrical engineer moving to US

UK electrical engineer moving to US

Old Dec 11th 2017, 8:58 pm
Just Joined

Littlej is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK electrical engineer moving to US

hi!

*note* we are very aware of how different electrical systems/laws/regulations are in UK vs US.

my husband is UK citizen and "testing and inspecting 2391 and approved electrical engineer" - started an electrical apprenticeship at 16 and has been in the trade for nearly 14 years - previously industrial/domestic installation, and now qualified testing inspector.

i'm not sure about the educational/certification equivalents as it's not called a bachelors degree in the UK, he does have a diploma from corresponding college work for 4 years when he started out - is there an equivalency test for this?

what would be the pathway for him to work as an electrical engineer in the US after having done it in the UK? we know this is not simple or short winded. any insight/advice is awesome. thanks!
Old Dec 11th 2017, 9:22 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK electrical engineer moving to US

From your previous posts over the last 12 months your husband is not attempting to get a work visa to the US but immigrating to the US as the spouse of a US Citizen.

This information will make it easier for others to assist him in his endeavor to find gainful employment in the US in his chosen field.
Old Dec 11th 2017, 11:10 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

It must be noted that job titles can vary greatly between the US and the UK. Keep this in mind in doing your research.

An excellent source for describing many occupations and the requirements therefore is the "Occupational Outlook Handbook" published by the Bureau of Labor Statistics of the US Department of Labor. It is available both in hard copy and on-line. It is updated biannually. Many public libraries have it in their reference section.

I have found the hard copy book easier to navigate.
Old Dec 12th 2017, 12:15 am
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

It sounds from your description his equivalent here would be an industrial/residential electrician. He would need a state license which could be easily obtained by taking a test. He could work in new construction or be on staff of a large manufacturing company like a auto manufacturer. Here an electrical "engineer" is a minimum four year degree and is more into design across a broad spectrum of electronics or power generation with little actual hands on.
Old Dec 12th 2017, 2:22 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Might be easy in your State, not in mine.
Old Dec 12th 2017, 4:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

It is my understanding, that in a lot of States, an electrician is a unionized profession. He may have to start as a journeyman and work his way up. The other option is just to become a General contractor and get the a certificate to allow him to do electrical work.

If he gets an electrical engineering degree, that's a different set of jobs that opens up.
Old Dec 12th 2017, 11:26 am
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Might be easy in your State, not in mine.
Starting from day one it would not be that easy in TN but if you can document 14 years experience it should be easier. He would probably start working as a unlicensed electrician with a contractor and get licensed later. Unions are rare in the south and under pressure nationwide as they detract from company profits.
Old Dec 12th 2017, 4:30 pm
Forum Regular

Kneeno is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm actually in the process of attempting to obtain my electrical license after being here nearly 6 years. I worked as a spark back in the IOM/UK for 30 years before moving here and I didn't really fancy going through the rigmarole needed to work as an electrician here. However as time passed I realised I missed it somewhat and coupled with the vastly improved pay I'd receive my wife and I decided I should look into it even if it meant I may have to go on the road somewhat. After contacting Frankfort I was informed if I could get notarized documents from back home stating I'd worked as an electrician for at least 6 years and I passed the journeyman exam they "might" grant me my license.

We were back on the IOM last summer on holiday so I managed to get documents from various companies proving my employment for at least 16 years so hopefully all I need to do is pass the journeyman exam. I was able to sit in on some classes gratis to give me a grounding (pun intended) as what the differences are to both systems and after missing out on the exam last month by 2 questions I'll be taking it again (another $100) next month and hopefully passing it.

As an aside the 4 years of college work (apprenticeship I assume?) means practically nothing here as it's classed as trade school and counts nothing towards "college" hours/credits. Somewhat frustrating but it is what it is.
Old Dec 12th 2017, 5:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Keene
I don't know how far you are from Nashville but it has been in the news lately about the shortage of all skilled trades electricians included. The mayor and governor have got involved in trying to increase training opportunities. New construction is booming in Nashville and surrounding areas.
Old Dec 12th 2017, 5:59 pm
Forum Regular

Kneeno is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ddsrph
Keene
I don't know how far you are from Nashville but it has been in the news lately about the shortage of all skilled trades electricians included. The mayor and governor have got involved in trying to increase training opportunities. New construction is booming in Nashville and surrounding areas.
About 3-4 hours away (SE KY) but it's not a dealbreaker. We like Nashville and I'm sure my wife would have no problems commuting if I did decide to work that area. I know I'd have to take the TN license too though (more outlay but ultimately worth it).
Old Dec 12th 2017, 7:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Kneeno
About 3-4 hours away (SE KY) but it's not a dealbreaker. We like Nashville and I'm sure my wife would have no problems commuting if I did decide to work that area. I know I'd have to take the TN license too though (more outlay but ultimately worth it).
Getting aTN license should be no problem. I have found TN to be a easy state to deal with. I was going to build a house in Moore county around 1990 and went to get a building permit. They said that will be one dollar, build what you want and we don't need to inspect anything. ( The state inspected electrical and septic system) That has changed a little its now in same county $50 and and they still inspect electrical and septic. I was able to get the electrical permit and wire myself.
I spent most of my childhood in SE Kentucky near London. My father hauled coal out of Manchester to sell up in Southern Indiana.
Old Dec 13th 2017, 3:10 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Rete
From your previous posts over the last 12 months your husband is not attempting to get a work visa to the US but immigrating to the US as the spouse of a US Citizen.

This information will make it easier for others to assist him in his endeavor to find gainful employment in the US in his chosen field.
K thanks but I don't think that has to do with my question, I don't have a question about our visa that is figured out. I'm only asking about his job - thanks for trying... kind of? Haha
Old Dec 13th 2017, 3:11 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
It must be noted that job titles can vary greatly between the US and the UK. Keep this in mind in doing your research.

An excellent source for describing many occupations and the requirements therefore is the "Occupational Outlook Handbook" published by the Bureau of Labor Statistics of the US Department of Labor. It is available both in hard copy and on-line. It is updated biannually. Many public libraries have it in their reference section.

I have found the hard copy book easier to navigate.
This is helpful thank you!
Old Dec 13th 2017, 3:13 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Littlej
K thanks but I don't think that has to do with my question, I don't have a question about our visa that is figured out. I'm only asking about his job - thanks for trying... kind of? Haha
LOL you don't know the group. They would NOT have answered your questions until you came back and told them what visa your husband was getting first.