Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK Budget - Class 2 NICs to be abolished

UK Budget - Class 2 NICs to be abolished

Old Mar 18th 2015, 1:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute
Default UK Budget - Class 2 NICs to be abolished

I should imagine that the majority of us here paying voluntary NICs will be paying Class 3, but those paying Class 2 may want to find out what impact this proposal will have on those making voluntary contributions from overseas.
Old Mar 18th 2015, 2:06 pm
Forum Regular

jb82 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK Budget - Class 2 NICs to be abolished

I had a letter from HmRC saying my direct debit for voluntary class 2 would continue. I believe the class 2 ni is not being abolished but that it is going to be collected via self assessment rather than paid separately. Those who do not self assess like those overseas should continue to pay as normal.
Old Mar 18th 2015, 2:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jb82
I had a letter from HmRC saying my direct debit for voluntary class 2 would continue. I believe the class 2 ni is not being abolished but that it is going to be collected via self assessment rather than paid separately. Those who do not self assess like those overseas should continue to pay as normal.
Apparently they're going to abolish "tax returns" too, so not sure how self-assessment's supposed to work going forward.
Old Mar 18th 2015, 2:54 pm
Forum Regular

OCKF has a reputation beyond reputeOCKF has a reputation beyond reputeOCKF has a reputation beyond reputeOCKF has a reputation beyond reputeOCKF has a reputation beyond reputeOCKF has a reputation beyond reputeOCKF has a reputation beyond reputeOCKF has a reputation beyond reputeOCKF has a reputation beyond reputeOCKF has a reputation beyond reputeOCKF has a reputation beyond repute

Its only the old fashion tax return being abolished so you will have an account and do everything online.

Originally Posted by rpjs
Apparently they're going to abolish "tax returns" too, so not sure how self-assessment's supposed to work going forward.
Old Mar 18th 2015, 3:18 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OCKF
Its only the old fashion tax return being abolished so you will have an account and do everything online.
Good luck doing an online form and getting the interaction of UK domestic taxes with tax treaties and international taxation correct. At least with paper forms you can add comments and adapt them to your circumstances.
Old Mar 18th 2015, 3:20 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rpjs
I should imagine that the majority of us here paying voluntary NICs will be paying Class 3, but those paying Class 2 may want to find out what impact this proposal will have on those making voluntary contributions from overseas.
I'd expect most people who grew up in the UK and now work abroad to be paying Class 2 NI.

Any link about changes to NI rather than an naked statement.
Old Mar 18th 2015, 3:26 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

From The Guardian Budget feed Budget 2015: Osborne introduces tax-free savings and Help-to-Buy ISAs - live updates | Politics | The Guardian

Osborne says people want their taxes to be simple to pay.

Class 2 national insurance contributions for the self-employed to be abolished in the next parliament.

Annual tax returns to be abolished altogether. This will be “a revolutionary simplification of tax collection,” he says.
If Class 2 is to be abolished does that mean that the self employed won't have to pay NI anymore? This sounds like a long term plan to get rid of NI and many of the benefits it pays for.

If tax returns are abolished how will the Uk tax foreign sources of income? If everything goes through either PAYE or is taxed at source by banks or brokerages that's fine, but many UK residents have non-UK source income so how is the tax on that captured?
Old Mar 18th 2015, 3:26 pm
Forum Regular

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/331758/tiin-class2-nic.pdf
Old Mar 18th 2015, 3:29 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by nun
From The Guardian Budget feed Budget 2015: Osborne introduces tax-free savings and Help-to-Buy ISAs - live updates | Politics | The Guardian

If Class 2 is to be abolished does that mean that the self employed won't have to pay NI anymore? This sounds like a long term plan to get rid of NI and many of the benefits it pays for.

If tax returns are abolished how will the Uk tax foreign sources of income? If everything goes through either PAYE or is taxed at source by banks or brokerages that's fine, but many UK residents have non-UK source income so how is the tax on that captured?

Class 2 isn't being abolished just the method of payment (changed to be collected via self assessment) There will remain the ability to pay as normal if you do not self assess.
Old Mar 18th 2015, 3:39 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/331758/tiin-class2-nic.pdf
Nice information, but it totally ignores expats. I've emailed the contact person at the bottom of the note to ask for an explanation.
Old Mar 18th 2015, 3:40 pm
Forum Regular

OCKF has a reputation beyond reputeOCKF has a reputation beyond reputeOCKF has a reputation beyond reputeOCKF has a reputation beyond reputeOCKF has a reputation beyond reputeOCKF has a reputation beyond reputeOCKF has a reputation beyond reputeOCKF has a reputation beyond reputeOCKF has a reputation beyond reputeOCKF has a reputation beyond reputeOCKF has a reputation beyond repute

Luckily I have my Accountant do that for me for a reasonable fee

Originally Posted by nun
Good luck doing an online form and getting the interaction of UK domestic taxes with tax treaties and international taxation correct. At least with paper forms you can add comments and adapt them to your circumstances.
Old Mar 18th 2015, 3:44 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

Class 2 isn't being abolished just the method of payment (changed to be collected via self assessment) There will remain the ability to pay as normal if you do not self assess.
Yes reading the policy note it becomes clear that Class 2 NI isn't being abolished at all. It will be collected in a different way and will be voluntary for the self employed with profits below a certain threshold.....that's a time bomb waiting to happen.
Old Mar 18th 2015, 3:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

LondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond repute

Said in today's paper that those who wish can still file by the hard copy method.
Old Mar 18th 2015, 4:04 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by nun
Nice information, but it totally ignores expats. I've emailed the contact person at the bottom of the note to ask for an explanation.
I'm an expat paying class 2 voluntarily and received a letter from hmrc stating my direct debit would continue and this change wouldn't change my situation. I imagine you'll get one too if you are in the same position.
Old Mar 18th 2015, 4:18 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

I'm an expat paying class 2 voluntarily and received a letter from hmrc stating my direct debit would continue and this change wouldn't change my situation. I imagine you'll get one too if you are in the same position.
Maybe. I make the same payment, but get a bill from HMRC every year and send them a cheque. I haven't had a letter form HMRC yet.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.