Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK - Bozeman Montana - Have I missed anything????

UK - Bozeman Montana - Have I missed anything????

Old Feb 27th 2017, 7:20 pm
Forum Regular

The Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really nice
Default Re: UK - Bozeman Montana - Have I missed anything????

Out of interest, what are other people paying for health insurance if I may ask?
Old Feb 27th 2017, 7:30 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

If your 18 year old is thinking of college it will be fare less expensive and far easier for her to stay in the UK.
Old Feb 27th 2017, 7:42 pm
Forum Regular

Psyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Teanmontana
I am big into fly fishing int he UK so things to do won't be a problem for me lol it's the Mrs & daughter I need to consider.

I'll take a look at Livingstone thanks for the heads up.

In the Uk we live in a small village in the countryside so we are quite used to that. But the town is only 15 miles away and we all drive so there would be that to also look at
You'll love the fishing in Montana then. Get yourself a pick up truck so you can get into the best fishing spots away from it all, and pack loads of camping gear for the weekend.

By the way, I earn $70k a year in Eugene, Oregon. I don't know how the two places compare in terms of cost of living but I doubt they are too different. We pay $1400 month rent for a 3 bed 2 bath house. My other half doesn't work and we have two little kids. We just about get by, but don't miss out on too much. Any major expenses do eat into savings a bit though. I think state income tax in Oregon might be higher than MT but we don't have sales tax. Property tax here seems a bit high (higher than where I was in Idaho). If your wife works you should be fine.
Old Feb 27th 2017, 7:42 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Moose
Out of interest, what are other people paying for health insurance if I may ask?
$182/mth in total for Mrs P, little Miss P, and me. HSA contributions are on top.
Old Feb 27th 2017, 7:43 pm
Forum Regular

The Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really nice

Originally Posted by Pulaski
$182/mth in total for Mrs P, little Miss P, and me.
How on earth do you get away with that?!

I'm paying $530 just for my wife and I

(high deductible HSA plan)
Old Feb 27th 2017, 7:44 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

How on earth do you get away with that?!

I'm paying $530 just for my wife and I ......

(high deductible HSA plan)
Different employer, I guess.
Old Feb 27th 2017, 7:45 pm
Forum Regular

Different employer, I guess.
Ah ok - that's only the employee contribution?!
Old Feb 27th 2017, 7:48 pm

Ah ok - that's only the employee contribution?!
Yes. .... Employer-based plans are all tailored to some degree, depending on what cost the employer is willing to fund - the rest is on the employee to pay.

I think ACA HD plans run around $700-$800/mth, so the difference between what you pay and the ACA figure is roughly what your employer is paying. ..... But bear in mind that 94% of companies on the stock exchange self- insurance their employees health insurance. In other words, they pocket the premiums and pay medical expenses out of their own funds.

Last edited by Pulaski; Feb 27th 2017 at 7:54 pm.
Old Feb 27th 2017, 7:49 pm
Forum Regular

Yes. .... Employer-based plans are all tailored to some degree, depending on what cost the employer is willing to fund - the rest is on the employee to pay.
My price is the full policy price as I'm paying it myself. Understand where the difference is now!
Old Feb 27th 2017, 7:59 pm

My price is the full policy price as I'm paying it myself. Understand where the difference is now!
$530 sounds pretty good for non-employment-linked insurance, I had heard that ACA coverage is much higher.

BTW I added to my post above.
Old Feb 27th 2017, 8:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Teanmontana
Thankyou for your post -

I have done some digging since posting and the wage for that role is coming in at 68k.

I hear you on negotiation

Some of the elements you mention are covered - not quite to the same degree but they are covered. The list has given me ideas to be looking into for negotiation.
glad it was of help, best of luck to you!
Old Feb 27th 2017, 8:44 pm
Forum Regular

Teanmontana has a reputation beyond reputeTeanmontana has a reputation beyond reputeTeanmontana has a reputation beyond reputeTeanmontana has a reputation beyond reputeTeanmontana has a reputation beyond reputeTeanmontana has a reputation beyond reputeTeanmontana has a reputation beyond reputeTeanmontana has a reputation beyond reputeTeanmontana has a reputation beyond reputeTeanmontana has a reputation beyond reputeTeanmontana has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, that is pretty normal, and most people in most years don't pay anywhere near that much. After five years of paying whopping insurance premiums and never having anything to claim that was covered because of the deductibles, we realized that we would likely never have anything that would be reimbursed, and so went over to High Deductible insurance which slashed our premiums by about 80% and allowed us to salt away the cost savings tax free in a Health Savings Account (HSA - works like a private pension, but you can draw on the funds immediately for permissible health expenses).

To TeaMontana: ask if there is a high deductible insurance alternative - more and more Americans are switching over to HD health insurance.
Yes there are 3 option for heath insurance - PPO HD and CD - the very top price you can pay is $395 a month for full family cover - by the sounds of it the deductables and copays are similar to others that have posted.
Old Feb 27th 2017, 8:46 pm
Forum Regular

Teanmontana has a reputation beyond reputeTeanmontana has a reputation beyond reputeTeanmontana has a reputation beyond reputeTeanmontana has a reputation beyond reputeTeanmontana has a reputation beyond reputeTeanmontana has a reputation beyond reputeTeanmontana has a reputation beyond reputeTeanmontana has a reputation beyond reputeTeanmontana has a reputation beyond reputeTeanmontana has a reputation beyond reputeTeanmontana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Psyman
You'll love the fishing in Montana then. Get yourself a pick up truck so you can get into the best fishing spots away from it all, and pack loads of camping gear for the weekend.

By the way, I earn $70k a year in Eugene, Oregon. I don't know how the two places compare in terms of cost of living but I doubt they are too different. We pay $1400 month rent for a 3 bed 2 bath house. My other half doesn't work and we have two little kids. We just about get by, but don't miss out on too much. Any major expenses do eat into savings a bit though. I think state income tax in Oregon might be higher than MT but we don't have sales tax. Property tax here seems a bit high (higher than where I was in Idaho). If your wife works you should be fine.
Ha I love to fish - i hear Montana is one of the best - mixed opinions on 70k
Old Feb 27th 2017, 9:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

$70k is low for your employer to move you across the ocean to another continent. Montana is low-cost so that is mitigated somewhat, but I would expect more salary for this move. As well, while Montana has its values (and I would consider living there when/if I move back), I think most Americans would see it as an isolation/hardship destination and they would expect to be given a salary premium to relocate there. Does the $70k come with benefits like health insurance? If it does not I would probably pass on this offer, but that is me.

Bozeman itself is industrial (for Montana) as another poster mentioned, but people don't move to Montana for the cities. I think you will find the town very livable and if you like the outdoors even better.
Old Feb 28th 2017, 1:48 pm
Forum Regular

$530 sounds pretty good for non-employment-linked insurance, I had heard that ACA coverage is much higher.

BTW I added to my post above.
No kids and relatively young (both under 30) I guess must help.

Back to the OP - if the company has been struggling to fill the slot, what are they advertising the position as paying locally? One would assume there'd be at least a golden-handshake over and above that to move someone internally.

Are there other people within the company elsewhere who may do the job or can you play hardball with them?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.