TV advice

Old Jan 22nd 2008, 11:06 am
lj2
BE Enthusiast

lj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of light
Default TV advice

I am looking to buy a TV in advance of my move to the States in March (or as soon as I arrive, but probably now) and was having a quick scout around.

I want to spend as little as possible and I don't necessarily need HD TV but I do want a flat screen so that it doesn't take up too much space. My TV right now at home is 28" and I am happy with the size but bigger is always better I guess. The most important things are:

A - A good picture (by good I mean clear and good colours etc - I am happy with my current non HD pic on sky digital but HD is of course amazing... provided it doesn't cost too much extra?)

B - Reliability.

I had a look around and thought this looked nice:

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/JVC-3...oductDetail.do

Any views? Any suggestions? I bought the DVD player that was highly recommended on a recent thread from Amazon and figured you guys are far more techie than me....

Absolute max spend $1000, ideal spend $500 (or as little as possible really I guess but realistically...)

thanks guys, appreciate your help muchly.
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 12:12 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: TV advice

Originally Posted by lj2
I am looking to buy a TV in advance of my move to the States in March (or as soon as I arrive, but probably now) and was having a quick scout around.

I want to spend as little as possible and I don't necessarily need HD TV but I do want a flat screen so that it doesn't take up too much space. My TV right now at home is 28" and I am happy with the size but bigger is always better I guess. The most important things are:

A - A good picture (by good I mean clear and good colours etc - I am happy with my current non HD pic on sky digital but HD is of course amazing... provided it doesn't cost too much extra?)

B - Reliability.

I had a look around and thought this looked nice:

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/JVC-3...oductDetail.do

Any views? Any suggestions? I bought the DVD player that was highly recommended on a recent thread from Amazon and figured you guys are far more techie than me....

Absolute max spend $1000, ideal spend $500 (or as little as possible really I guess but realistically...)

thanks guys, appreciate your help muchly.
$500 to $1000 will buy you a 28" TV. When you get here join Costco...they will be cheaper than CC. CC charge a restocking fee if you return it (as do most if not all electronic stores)...Costco do not. You should have waited before buying the DVD player they are generally much cheaper here than in the UK.

http://www.costco.com/Service/Featur...uctNo=11239331
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 12:28 pm
lj2
BE Enthusiast

lj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks for the advice. FYI, dvd player was and tv if bought now will be bought from the us (thanks to my girlfriend in MN)
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 1:43 pm
Brewtastic

BrewMonkey has much to be proud ofBrewMonkey has much to be proud ofBrewMonkey has much to be proud ofBrewMonkey has much to be proud ofBrewMonkey has much to be proud ofBrewMonkey has much to be proud ofBrewMonkey has much to be proud ofBrewMonkey has much to be proud ofBrewMonkey has much to be proud ofBrewMonkey has much to be proud ofBrewMonkey has much to be proud of

Best places to look for info:

USA LCD TV Forum: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=166

UK LCD TV Forum: http://www.avforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=155

I included both UK and USA forums so you can get a balanced opinion. The UK forum will often have information on what the 'international' or USA version of the screen is called. A google will usually show it up in any case.

Don't get put off by a lot of the horror stories (remember that people will only generally post if they have a problem).

IMO you'd be better off going for a Samsung/Sony/Sharp rather than JVC, but I haven't done any research for a while. I did a lot of research before buying mine a year ago and ended up with a Sony 52"XBR and it's absolutely stunning (but not exactly cheap either).

There's plenty of good, general advice on the UK forums so I'd maybe start there.

Have fun shopping!

If I have any time today I'll have a look around and try and post back. I'm interested in something similar for another room in the house.
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 3:08 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lj2

Always check the warranty period ..some can be a low as 90 days ...
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 4:56 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

old school DLP instead of LCD would get you a massive screen for a lot less money, but then bulbs can be a problem, depends on warranty...and with LCD's, check warranty to see how many dead pixels are covered before it's replaced, and that the warranty will actually last...
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 5:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

E17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud of

Just remember that there will be no more standard def TV over the air starting next year. So if you buy a standard def TV you will need a cable/satellite box or an HD converter.

Good advice on the Costco option, Sam's Club is something else to check into for cheap deals as they also have a paid membership, although make sure you get a reputable brand.

Circuit City and Best Buy are not necessarily the "best buy".
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 5:54 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by E17Avenue
Sam's Club
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 5:55 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 5:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

basementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond repute

www.vanns.com pretty goos place to get a tv
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 6:59 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

My advice is to get one with the most possible inputs in the back, but I'm a bit of a geek. I have 8 inputs and I'm already using 7. Not sure what to do when I get an HD-DVD player....

DVD1
DVD2/VCR
Sat 1
Sat 2
Cable Box
Playstation
Mac Mini
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 7:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

basementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinsix
My advice is to get one with the most possible inputs in the back, but I'm a bit of a geek. I have 8 inputs and I'm already using 7. Not sure what to do when I get an HD-DVD player....

DVD1
DVD2/VCR
Sat 1
Sat 2
Cable Box
Playstation
Mac Mini
i agree, gotta love extra inputs
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 7:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

denzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nice

We bought a Philips 28" and a 32" HD LCD when we first got out here about a year and a half ago, the smaller one cost around $400 I think and we got the 32" one on sale for $700. Both have been fine, we even have the Philips DVD recorder which has also been great. I too agree with the others about the outputs, with your DVD player, cable/sat and gaming systems you need as many as you can get!
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 8:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by E17Avenue
Just remember that there will be no more standard def TV over the air starting next year. So if you buy a standard def TV you will need a cable/satellite box or an HD converter.

".
You will be hard pushed to buy a TV that isnt HD ready these days.

On the broadcast issue i think you are getting analogue and digital mixed up with SD and HD.
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 8:11 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by denzil75
We bought a Philips 28" and a 32" HD LCD when we first got out here about a year and a half ago, the smaller one cost around $400 I think and we got the 32" one on sale for $700. Both have been fine, we even have the Philips DVD recorder which has also been great. I too agree with the others about the outputs, with your DVD player, cable/sat and gaming systems you need as many as you can get!
TVs a year and a half ago...Ah the good old days

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.