Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Travelling back to the UK as a new family

Travelling back to the UK as a new family

Old Sep 20th 2016, 7:32 pm
Conditional Resident

Mangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Travelling back to the UK as a new family

i would imagine the only reason the immigration officer was being a pain on her first visit was simply because she was trying to use the full 6 months. Seen enough stories here about American POE's not being happy about visitors using the full 90 Days and could imagine the same being true here. 2 weeks and he probably wouldn't have said anything, 2 months might have raised an eyebrow but obviously 6 months set him off which is stupid since you are allowed 6 months to visit the uk.

I was worried about my GF flying over on both trips (6weeks & 10weeks) which is why i flew in with them both times to be sure of no issues but unfortunately the difference was I stayed with them through immigration so i was present to answer questions with her.

I dont think anyone could say for certain what will happen at Christmas for you, but if its just a 2 week vacation with the return tickets maybe they wont even say anything. My advice would just be stay confident and dont become separated, go up to the counter all together
Old Sep 20th 2016, 7:37 pm
Conditional Resident

Mangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
She actually had a visa? Interesting, and maybe that's why the POE officer was suspicious. USCs are allowed to visit the UK for 6 months without a visa. The fact that she had one might have raised some questions.

Rene
i think he's talking about the 6 month visitor visa which is waived if your from the usa but the time limits still apply, i dont think there is any way to appeal to extend the 6 months, hence being denied and unlike the usa we cant in the uk marry without a marriage visa to start with

Last edited by Mangaboy84; Sep 20th 2016 at 7:41 pm.
Old Sep 20th 2016, 7:46 pm
Just Joined

Nelson44 is an unknown quantity at this point

She actually had a visa? Interesting, and maybe that's why the POE officer was suspicious. USCs are allowed to visit the UK for 6 months without a visa. The fact that she had one might have raised some questions.

Rene
It was a very long, emotional journey that we took. Hindsight is a beautiful thing, and if we could have change anything it would to have not applied for the tourist visa extension. It burnt through a lot of time and money. Both of which could have been put towards the marriage visa that brought me here to the US.

My original reason for posting was to gather peoples opinions and experiences about taking their family back the UK for vacation and if I would be split from my wife and child due to our difference in passports. But it seems the general consensus is that we will be allowed to stay together whether in one line or another which is great. Thank you for everyone's input.
Old Sep 20th 2016, 8:03 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
It is very rare that we hear of someone having difficulties when attempting to enter the UK. In 19 years, I can only count two such instances and both involved love interests of British citizens coming to visit.

TIA
It's rare we hear about it, it isn't that rare in reality. My sons' girlfriend who lived in Charlotte was refused entry at Gatwick, even though I stood in the Chief Immigration Officers office at Heathrow T2 and vouched I would drag her to the airport, if necessary, and put her on the plane home when the time came. These were Heathrow staff I worked alongside on the immigration controls every day I was at work, but I was told my word was no good enough. They paid a very heavy price for that comment.

I saw just as many Americans refused at Heathrow as I did people from other visa free countries. Americans and Aussies they seemed to take pleasure in refusing.

Last edited by lansbury; Sep 20th 2016 at 8:09 pm.
Old Sep 20th 2016, 8:07 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nelson44
My original reason for posting was to gather peoples opinions and experiences about taking their family back the UK for vacation and if I would be split from my wife and child due to our difference in passports. But it seems the general consensus is that we will be allowed to stay together whether in one line or another which is great. Thank you for everyone's input.
If when they swipe your wife's passport the computer links it to the previous incident, you, or rather she, is heading for further examination. With a change of name, and passport good chance they will not connect, or the I/O will not realize. But be prepared.
Old Sep 20th 2016, 10:27 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

The intention on arrival into the UK with her was that she had 6 months to return back to the US.

4 months into the 6 we became more than friends, at this point we applied to extend the visa. At every point we were honest. As we went through the appeal and court system she was allowed to stay in the UK until its conclusion.

At no point did we deceive or behave illegally within the system. Any how, that's the story, but slightly going off track.

Rene
It was a very long, emotional journey that we took. Hindsight is a beautiful thing, and if we could have change anything it would to have not applied for the tourist visa extension. It burnt through a lot of time and money. Both of which could have been put towards the marriage visa that brought me here to the US.

I don't doubt that your mistake was sincere but even a basic awareness of UK immigration law would have let you know that you cannot extend a visitor visa/stamp beyond six months and that a US citizen coming to the UK for the first time as a tourist is highly unlikely to be able to stay for six months if they had genuine ties to the US such as employment or education. That she was accompanied by her British boyfriend was also likely to raise a red flag. That is why the IO gave your wife the third degree at the border. If you used a solicitor or immigration adviser to try extend your wife's time beyond the six months permitted then frankly they saw you coming.

To answer your original question then you and your son should both have valid British passports (apply here) to travel with and you should queue together as a family. Your son will also need his US passport as US citizens must enter and exit the US on a US passport. Whether you stand in the EU line or non-EU line is up to you but standing in the non-EU line would be the safer option especially if your wife had previously been asked to leave the UK.

If asked at the UK border about your wife's previous run-in with the Home Office you must be completely honest and state that your wife was previously required to leave the UK. If the IO suspects she is attempting to deceive, either directly or indirectly, then she will be put on the first plane back to the United States and possibly face a ban for deception. Be contrite and explain that you understand now that what she previously attempted is not possible and you are only here for a short family visit for the Christmas period after which you will return to the US. You should bring evidence of your family's substantial ties to the US, e.g. employment, education or housing, in your carry-on. You may not require it but a belt and braces approach is advisable given your wife's UK immigration history.

Last edited by BritInParis; Sep 20th 2016 at 10:30 pm.
Old Sep 21st 2016, 12:17 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Didn't mean to side track your original question/post. However, thanks so much for the info. Very enlightening.