Reload this Page >

Travelling back to the UK as a new family

Travelling back to the UK as a new family

Old Sep 20th 2016, 2:52 am
Just Joined

Nelson44 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Travelling back to the UK as a new family

Hello Everyone,

This is my first post, and I'd be so happy if anyone could share their experiences and knowledge with me regarding the following topic.

Myself (British) my wife and newborn son (both American) plan on traveling back to the UK for Christmas 2016.

Now when approaching the UK Border Force, if memory serves me correctly, Non British or EU passport holders are channeled into a different queue. My question is, Even though I'm a British Citizen with a British Passport can I stay with my family and go through the Non British line with them? I really don't want to be separated from them.

To go into a little further detail, the reason for my concern is that back in 2011 my wife, was just a friend of mine who entered into the UK with me on a tourist Visa. She was given a very rough time by the border agency who almost did not let her through. We attempted to extend her tourist Visa and were unsuccessful even after we requested a personal court hearing. in June 2012 following the court decision she was asked to leave the UK (not deported) of her own will prior to a certain date which we adhered to.

We have now married for 3 years, have a new born son and living in the US. The pessimistic part of me says that somewhere her name might be blacklisted although a lot has changed since 2012. She would have a new passport, new surname which might help? I want to be sure I can go through border control with them in case any problems arise.

Sorry for the booklet, Id rather provide too much information and answer any questions rather than leave people unable to answer due to variables.

Thank you for your time,

Sam
Old Sep 20th 2016, 3:02 am
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Travelling back to the UK as a new family

Originally Posted by Nelson44
Hello Everyone,

This is my first post, and I'd be so happy if anyone could share their experiences and knowledge with me regarding the following topic.

Myself (British) my wife and newborn son (both American) plan on traveling back to the UK for Christmas 2016.

Now when approaching the UK Border Force, if memory serves me correctly, Non British or EU passport holders are channeled into a different queue. My question is, Even though I'm a British Citizen with a British Passport can I stay with my family and go through the Non British line with them? I really don't want to be separated from them.

To go into a little further detail, the reason for my concern is that back in 2011 my wife, was just a friend of mine who entered into the UK with me on a tourist Visa. She was given a very rough time by the border agency who almost did not let her through. We attempted to extend her tourist Visa and were unsuccessful even after we requested a personal court hearing. in June 2012 following the court decision she was asked to leave the UK (not deported) of her own will prior to a certain date which we adhered to.

We have now married for 3 years, have a new born son and living in the US. The pessimistic part of me says that somewhere her name might be blacklisted although a lot has changed since 2012. She would have a new passport, new surname which might help? I want to be sure I can go through border control with them in case any problems arise.

Sorry for the booklet, Id rather provide too much information and answer any questions rather than leave people unable to answer due to variables.

Thank you for your time,

Sam
You can stay together -- in fact your family will very likely be able to join you in the U.K. line.
Old Sep 20th 2016, 6:44 am
Forum Regular

dljack is an unknown quantity at this point

I was told to go with my hubby (UK) and daughters (UK/US) into the UK passport holders line. My daughters hold both passports but as we were going into the UK, used their UK ones, and as they were only 4 & 7, we were told for the family to stay together.
Old Sep 20th 2016, 11:05 am
Forum Regular

eg76 is an unknown quantity at this point

I am British and my wife is American. We always go through the UK Passports line. Never had anyone question it thus far (12 years of travelling back and forth.....). Always been told that families should stick together through immigration.
Old Sep 20th 2016, 11:53 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

So glad that other Brits have been able to confirm that you can enter the UK using one line and stay together. Simplifies things for you a bit.

I'm curious, however, and if your don't mind, could you tell us why your USC wife had such a difficult time entering the UK in 2011? I understand she was not your wife at the time. It is very rare that we hear of someone having difficulties when attempting to enter the UK. In 19 years, I can only count two such instances and both involved love interests of British citizens coming to visit.

TIA
Old Sep 20th 2016, 5:17 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by dljack
I was told to go with my hubby (UK) and daughters (UK/US) into the UK passport holders line. My daughters hold both passports but as we were going into the UK, used their UK ones, and as they were only 4 & 7, we were told for the family to stay together.
Hi, thank you for responding, quick question if I may, how was the process in gaining the UK passport for your children? I would also like to get one for my son.
Old Sep 20th 2016, 5:19 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by eg76
I am British and my wife is American. We always go through the UK Passports line. Never had anyone question it thus far (12 years of travelling back and forth.....). Always been told that families should stick together through immigration.
Thank you, your response fills me with a lot more confidence that we will not be split up when going through immigration.
Old Sep 20th 2016, 5:26 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

BTW...

and

Congratulations!!
Old Sep 20th 2016, 5:30 pm
Conditional Resident

Mangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you, your response fills me with a lot more confidence that we will not be split up when going through immigration.
We've done both, I've gone through the first time with my American GF and her son through the non-EU line using my British passport and on the next trip we were all ushered through the EU line which we use now even with their american passports

TBH i think a lot of ppl that should be in the non-eu Que jump into the EU line not knowing anyway or just be like screw it since it moves slightly faster.

My only sad thing is i cant use the electronic gates which are normally quicker unless i leave her alone so i dont really save any time since i have to wait for them
Old Sep 20th 2016, 5:34 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Rete
So glad that other Brits have been able to confirm that you can enter the UK using one line and stay together. Simplifies things for you a bit.

I'm curious, however, and if your don't mind, could you tell us why your USC wife had such a difficult time entering the UK in 2011? I understand she was not your wife at the time. It is very rare that we hear of someone having difficulties when attempting to enter the UK. In 19 years, I can only count two such instances and both involved love interests of British citizens coming to visit.

TIA
Hello Tia,

In June of 2011 it was time for me to leave the US and head home. I asked my now wife if she would like to return with me for a short or extended vacation. She decided that she would like to but did not want to commit to how long.

So we booked her ticked for a duration of 6 months (this being the length of a tourist visa). If she wanted to return sooner then all she would face was one administration charge from the airline to change flight dates, rather than change multiple times had we booked it for 2 weeks, changed it to 4, changed to 6 etc and face multiple charges.

We flew Chicago O'Hare into Manchester. We were separated through immigration. I go through first and was told I could not wait for her, so proceeded down the steps to retrieve our luggage. Around 20 mins later she had still not appeared so I went back to find out what the issue was. She had been taken to a side room for further questioning, she had been reduced to tears which is not normal for my wife at all.

The immigration officer advised that he had strong suspicions that my wife (friend at the time) actually did not have any intention to return to the US. He could not understand our reasoning for booking a 6 month return ticket. He was not satisfied with the approximate $8k USD she had to support herself.

Ever since she arrived back in the US June 2012 she never risked visiting me while we went through a marriage visa. I always flew to the US. .

So I want to be able to learn and understand as much as I can before her second trip to the UK. This time we will fly into LHR which I have also used ever since our interrogation at Manchester.

I doubt I can generalize immigration officers, but the one we saw at Manchester was a complete A-hole. At all times we remained calm, answered all of his questions honestly and he still fought to have her put on a return flight. I think the final decision was not his to make thankfully.
Old Sep 20th 2016, 6:39 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Given that your wife arrived as a tourist with a legal maximum stay of six months and didn't go home until a year later I would conclude that the IO's instincts were spot on.

I would be very cautious about playing so fast and loose with UK immigration law in the future.
Old Sep 20th 2016, 6:43 pm
Forum Regular

dljack is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, thank you for responding, quick question if I may, how was the process in gaining the UK passport for your children? I would also like to get one for my son.

My girls were born in the UK, so regular route to getting birth certificates/passports. We registered for a "birth abroad" with the US Consulate in the UK. I would think you could do the same at a UK Consulate (or is it embassy??) in the US, but I am not 100% on what the process is from that side.
Old Sep 20th 2016, 7:15 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Given that your wife arrived as a tourist with a legal maximum stay of six months and didn't go home until a year later I would conclude that the IO's instincts were spot on.

I would be very cautious about playing so fast and loose with UK immigration law in the future.
The intention on arrival into the UK with her was that she had 6 months to return back to the US.

4 months into the 6 we became more than friends, at this point we applied to extend the visa. At every point we were honest. As we went through the appeal and court system she was allowed to stay in the UK until its conclusion.

At no point did we deceive or behave illegally within the system. Any how, that's the story, but slightly going off track.
Old Sep 20th 2016, 7:23 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by dljack
My girls were born in the UK, so regular route to getting birth certificates/passports. We registered for a "birth abroad" with the US Consulate in the UK. I would think you could do the same at a UK Consulate (or is it embassy??) in the US, but I am not 100% on what the process is from that side.
Interesting, thank you so much. Something I definitely will look into.
Old Sep 20th 2016, 7:28 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

The intention on arrival into the UK with her was that she had 6 months to return back to the US.

4 months into the 6 we became more than friends, at this point we applied to extend the visa. At every point we were honest. As we went through the appeal and court system she was allowed to stay in the UK until its conclusion.

At no point did we deceive or behave illegally within the system. Any how, that's the story, but slightly going off track.
She actually had a visa? Interesting, and maybe that's why the POE officer was suspicious. USCs are allowed to visit the UK for 6 months without a visa. The fact that she had one might have raised some questions.

Rene

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.