Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Traveling with UK and US passports to UK

Traveling with UK and US passports to UK

Old Sep 29th 2017, 1:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Traveling with UK and US passports to UK

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic
OK but read Lansbury's #5 above.

I already did. What does it change? There is no legal requirement for a British citizen to enter the UK on a British passport. You can enter on any passport as long as it is valid for the purpose of your trip. What UK immigration would prefer you to do is completely irrelevant.

Last time I went through Heathrow, I presented my US passport and didn't have any others with me. The guy said "I see you were born in Belfast. Do you have a British or Irish passport?". I replied that I did but not with me and was waved through. Now if I'd actually brought a British or Irish passport with me, I would have shown it to him in response to his question - although most likely I would have entered on that instead anyway.

Last edited by MarylandNed; Sep 29th 2017 at 2:01 pm.
Old Sep 29th 2017, 3:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

vikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
It's not logic or rationale. USC's are expected to leave/enter the US using US passports per US law. The UK has no such law for its citizens.
No argument from me on that! My words were merely arbitrary descriptors of the situation. Sadly the architect of said words - a US official no doubt believes from the bottom of their heart that the words are logical/ rationale
Old Oct 1st 2017, 5:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LuluBelle1
We just flew from the states and back last week. Arrived to the US and showed a US passport, and when we landed in the UK used our UK passport.
Same here......... the automatic kiosks in Heathrow, which can be used by UK and European citizens, meant we were through immigration in Heathrow within minutes.
Old Oct 1st 2017, 5:28 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic
OK but read Lansbury's #5 above.
If you have a valid British citizen passport in your possession then that is evidence that you have Right of Abode in the UK and therefore you cannot also receive a Leave to Enter stamp in your US passport.
Old Oct 1st 2017, 6:17 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Dual national brother in law would present both passports to the inspector at the UK airport.

Curiously, Australia has a system similar to ESTA. [They call it an electronic visa, a term the US avoids for technical reasons of the law]. He was turned down on his UK passport, but approved 10 minutes later on his US passport. Go figure.