Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Traveling with UK and US passports to UK

Traveling with UK and US passports to UK

Old Sep 28th 2017, 5:00 pm
Sad old Crinkly Member

excpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond repute
Default Traveling with UK and US passports to UK

Not sure if this is the correct forum but here goes.
Being a dual national for many years when traveling to the UK from the US I have left on my US passport, arrived in the UK on my UK one.
Returning to the US I did the reverse.

Now a friend is telling me that this is banned.
He did the same but was pulled aside by US immigration and told to stop doing this as his passport did not show him landing in the UK. He must use his US passport both ways.

Now I traveled in Aug and had no issues.

If there was a change can anyone point me to the official clarification stating so?

Many thanks
Old Sep 28th 2017, 5:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Traveling with UK and US passports to UK

Originally Posted by excpomea
Being a dual national for many years when traveling to the UK from the US I have left on my US passport, arrived in the UK on my UK one.

He did the same but was pulled aside by US immigration and told to stop doing this as his passport did not show him landing in the UK. He must use his US passport both ways.

If there was a change can anyone point me to the official clarification stating so?

Many thanks
I have always done that with no issues.
Old Sep 28th 2017, 5:15 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I have never had a problem doing the same. The only legal requirement is that a USC leaves and enters the US using a US passport.

I think it's more of a case of Big Brother wanting to know what countries their citizens have visited. Land of the Free indeed.
Old Sep 28th 2017, 5:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

vikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I have never had a problem doing the same. The only legal requirement is that a USC leaves and enters the US using a US passport.

I think it's more of a case of Big Brother wanting to know what countries their citizens have visited. Land of the Free indeed.
Agreed. I think the ability of Amurica to control how citizens enter the UK is still something beyond their abilities, as we edge toward the 51st state who knows!

Arguably, the UK might well have an issue if you hold a UK passport and do not use it to enter the country (UK) using the same logic/same rationale, employed by US authorities when requiring its citizens to enter and leave on a US passport.
Old Sep 28th 2017, 5:48 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

The interesting thing is that if a UK immigration officer knows you have a UK passport in your possession they are meant to land you on that and not stamp the second passport. When I was at LHR I saw people ask to have their US passport stamped to show proof of landing, and as they had a UK passport the request was refused.
Old Sep 28th 2017, 5:52 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by excpomea

Many thanks
If that US official had sat down and quietly thought through what he was saying, hopefully he would have realised it was complete bollocks.
Old Sep 28th 2017, 6:07 pm
Sad old Crinkly Member

excpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
If that US official had sat down and quietly thought through what he was saying, hopefully he would have realised it was complete bollocks.
Lol, my thoughts too.
Old Sep 28th 2017, 8:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

vikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
I think the clue was in "US Official" imho experience more times than not its complete bollocks see C in Chief.
Old Sep 28th 2017, 9:05 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vikingsail
Agreed. I think the ability of Amurica to control how citizens enter the UK is still something beyond their abilities, as we edge toward the 51st state who knows!

Arguably, the UK might well have an issue if you hold a UK passport and do not use it to enter the country (UK) using the same logic/same rationale, employed by US authorities when requiring its citizens to enter and leave on a US passport.
So UK will get in the queue before more deserving candidates such as Puerto Rico? That sucks. Oh yeah, just remembered, we are mostly WASPs. We qualify!
Old Sep 28th 2017, 9:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Arguably, under the current administration the UK is slightly more likely to be admitted to the Union than Puerto Rico.
Old Sep 29th 2017, 1:59 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rpjs
Arguably, under the current administration the UK is slightly more likely to be admitted to the Union than Puerto Rico.
Old Sep 29th 2017, 4:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vikingsail
It's not logic or rationale. USC's are expected to leave/enter the US using US passports per US law. The UK has no such law for its citizens.
Old Sep 29th 2017, 11:30 am
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
It's not logic or rationale. USC's are expected to leave/enter the US using US passports per US law. The UK has no such law for its citizens.
OK but read Lansbury's #5 above.
Old Sep 29th 2017, 12:40 pm
Just Joined

LuluBelle1 is an unknown quantity at this point

We just flew from the states and back last week. Arrived to the US and showed a US passport, and when we landed in the UK used our UK passport.
Old Sep 29th 2017, 1:00 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LuluBelle1
We just flew from the states and back last week. Arrived to the US and showed a US passport, and when we landed in the UK used our UK passport.
Done it more than a hundred times...never had a problem.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.