Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Traveling with close to expiriing passport

Traveling with close to expiriing passport

Old Sep 24th 2021, 6:27 am
moi
Forum Regular

moi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Traveling with close to expiriing passport

I want to go home for Christmas with my 5-year-old son. His passport expires on April 12, 2022. I am hearing that getting passports is really backed up. Can I travel back to Manchester for the Christmas/NY period on the passport that he currently has? I am afraid that if I send it in I won't get it back in time.
Does anyone know for sure what I should do? Thank you.
Old Sep 24th 2021, 8:12 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Traveling with close to expiriing passport

Are you talking about his US or British passport?
Old Sep 24th 2021, 10:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Ja5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of light

I have traveled with one of my kids who had just over 3 months left on a US passport and it was fine.

https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...edKingdom.html

this says it should be valid for the duration of the stay.
Old Sep 24th 2021, 11:13 am
moi
Forum Regular

moi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond repute

He has dual citizenship, but only a US passport.
Old Sep 24th 2021, 11:27 am
moi
Forum Regular

Would it also be fine if you have a flight where you have to change connecting flights in other countries? (I found a cheaper flight that is non-stop).
Old Sep 24th 2021, 11:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Ja5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by moi
Would it also be fine if you have a flight where you have to change connecting flights in other countries? (I found a cheaper flight that is non-stop).
that depends on the rules for each country and if you will be going through passport control. We had a lay over in iceland which require 6 months validity, but we didn’t have to leave the terminal so we didn’t actually “enter” iceland.
Old Sep 24th 2021, 2:37 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

As a general rule (including the US), it is required that a passport have six months remaining validity at time of admission. That said, many countries have reciprocal agreements extending passport validity for six months past expiration for return to home country.
Old Sep 24th 2021, 3:10 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ja5on
that depends on the rules for each country and if you will be going through passport control. We had a lay over in iceland which require 6 months validity, but we didn’t have to leave the terminal so we didn’t actually “enter” iceland.
It was the same with us with a transit change in Iceland. I found it to be one of the worse airports ever.
Old Sep 24th 2021, 5:36 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moi
He has dual citizenship, but only a US passport.
Can you ask it to be expedited? You may have to show your booked ticket though before you can do it.
Old Sep 24th 2021, 5:50 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
Can you ask it to be expedited? You may have to show your booked ticket though before you can do it.
If he is a UKC he cannot be denied entry to the UK. If the OP carries her British PP, I would also take her birth certificate and the baby’s birth certificate, I think that would be proof of UK citizenship to enter the UK. I
Old Sep 24th 2021, 7:07 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Did you register the birth abroad in the UK? You could use that certificate as proof of British citizenship.

https://www.gov.uk/register-a-birth
Old Sep 25th 2021, 11:40 am
moi
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
The post office and library that do passports told me that even if i expedite it i still might not have it back in time. There is a big back log due to covid.
Old Sep 25th 2021, 11:43 am
moi
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by tht
Did you register the birth abroad in the UK? You could use that certificate as proof of British citizenship.

https://www.gov.uk/register-a-birth
Yes, he is registered with the British Embassy. I had to do it a different way than usual because he is adopted.
Old Sep 25th 2021, 11:47 am
moi
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
If he is a UKC he cannot be denied entry to the UK. If the OP carries her British PP, I would also take her birth certificate and the baby’s birth certificate, I think that would be proof of UK citizenship to enter the UK. I
Ok thank you. I have our birth certificates. My son's birth certificate is a little different because he is adopted. But I also have his British certificate of citizenship from the embassy.
Old Sep 26th 2021, 11:19 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Which country will you be transiting through?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.