Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Traveling back to UK with child born in US - Have questions!

Traveling back to UK with child born in US - Have questions!

Old Apr 19th 2017, 9:08 pm
Forum Regular

DanielOH has much to be proud ofDanielOH has much to be proud ofDanielOH has much to be proud ofDanielOH has much to be proud ofDanielOH has much to be proud ofDanielOH has much to be proud ofDanielOH has much to be proud ofDanielOH has much to be proud ofDanielOH has much to be proud ofDanielOH has much to be proud ofDanielOH has much to be proud of
Default Traveling back to UK with child born in US - Have questions!

Entered USA 3 years ago. Daughter born 1 year ago here in US. Both parents are British.

Now we need to get back to the UK pretty quickly, but we have no passport or travel documentation for the little one (we didn't get her a US passport yet)

Is there anything we can do to fly back home quickly? Or must we wait the 4-6 weeks for a US or UK passport?

Anyone have any experience with this?
Old Apr 19th 2017, 9:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Traveling back to UK with child born in US - Have questions!

You definitely need a travel document.

If you Google "get US passport urgently" plenty of websites come up for such a service. There are charges for it though

.... have you looked at the following website:

https://travel.state.gov/content/pas...expedited.html

You can get an expedited passport in less than 2 to three weeks.

Presume you are only visiting?
Old Apr 19th 2017, 9:35 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Well as SDG said, you need a passport for your daughter (or an emergency travel document), and if you're returning to the US you'll need a US passport for her, because US citizens are required to enter the US using a US passport.

I think you might be able to get an emergency travel document from the UK, but you would need to wait for your daughter's US passport to be delivered to you in the UK before she could legally return. ..... If you have a British passport for her you might be able to get her back into the US, but you can expect a ticking-off from the CBP immigration officer when you arrive back in the US.

I can't help but ask, in 2014 you reported that your mother is a US citizen and you have a US passport too, and you were applying for a CR-1 for your wife, so what happened to your US citizenship/passport? ..... Or did you just omit to mention above that you are a dual citizen?

Last edited by Pulaski; Apr 19th 2017 at 9:46 pm.
Old Apr 19th 2017, 11:29 pm
Forum Regular

DanielOH has much to be proud ofDanielOH has much to be proud ofDanielOH has much to be proud ofDanielOH has much to be proud ofDanielOH has much to be proud ofDanielOH has much to be proud ofDanielOH has much to be proud ofDanielOH has much to be proud ofDanielOH has much to be proud ofDanielOH has much to be proud ofDanielOH has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Well as SDG said, you need a passport for your daughter (or an emergency travel document), and if you're returning to the US you'll need a US passport for her, because US citizens are required to enter the US using a US passport.

I think you might be able to get an emergency travel document from the UK, but you would need to wait for your daughter's US passport to be delivered to you in the UK before she could legally return. ..... If you have a British passport for her you might be able to get her back into the US, but you can expect a ticking-off from the CBP immigration officer when you arrive back in the US.

I can't help but ask, in 2014 you reported that your mother is a US citizen and you have a US passport too, and you were applying for a CR-1 for your wife, so what happened to your US citizenship/passport? ..... Or did you just omit to mention above that you are a dual citizen?
Good catch. I am the UKC and my wife is a dual citizen. I'm currently in the process of removing conditions on my green card.

Last edited by DanielOH; Apr 19th 2017 at 11:31 pm.
Old Apr 20th 2017, 12:05 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DanielOH
Good catch. I am the UKC and my wife is a dual citizen. .....
That was not how I read it, are you sharing a BE login?
Old Apr 20th 2017, 1:02 am
Forum Regular

That was not how I read it, are you sharing a BE login?
She may have worded it back in 2014. Quite a while back!
Old Apr 20th 2017, 2:12 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

There are several locations in the USA that can do same- day passports. Not sure how close you are to any of them, but something to look into.

Rene
Old Apr 20th 2017, 2:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Technically speaking, USCs are also supposed to leave the US with a US passport although obviously that isn't as easy to enforce as entering on one.

https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...tionality.html

"Most U.S. nationals, including dual nationals, must use a U.S. passport to enter and leave the United States."
Old Apr 20th 2017, 8:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
There are several locations in the USA that can do same- day passports. Not sure how close you are to any of them, but something to look into.

Rene
I have used such services, very efficient, usually three days is more affordable though. If a child involved there are some additional forms that can be required.