Reload this Page >

Travel to US with valid Immigrant Visa

Travel to US with valid Immigrant Visa

Old Sep 12th 2017, 5:56 am
Forum Regular

toluani is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Travel to US with valid Immigrant Visa

Hello all,

I have my immigrant visa interview at the UK embassy in London in two weeks based on a 1-130 petition by my LPR wife.

I know have to enter the US before the expiration of my medical exam which is valid for 6 months, but I want to know if I can travel to the US using ESTA without using the immigrant visa.

I am still trying to round up the project I am working on in London and need to stay a few months till February but will also like to visit my wife and daughter in the US over Christmas.

Don't know if it it makes a difference but I have global entry so could I just scan myself in without presenting my visa or submitting the visa package?
Old Sep 12th 2017, 10:57 am
Banned

Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Travel to US with valid Immigrant Visa

Why've would you want to use the VWP? Once you enter the USA with your visa you are an LPR yourself and as such you are free to come and go like any other. Use your immigrant visa when you visit and go back to the U.K. to do what you need to do and then return when you're ready. No ESTA required.
Old Sep 12th 2017, 11:05 am
Banned

Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute

Wanted to add that according to your previous posts you're not eligible for the VWP anyway.
Old Sep 12th 2017, 11:10 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Twinkle0927 I think I may have been overthinking this and missed the simple fact I could just go on the immigrant visa and return to London for a few months.

Originally Posted by Twinkle0927
Why've would you want to use the VWP? Once you enter the USA with your visa you are an LPR yourself and as such you are free to come and go like any other. Use your immigrant visa when you visit and go back to the U.K. to do what you need to do and then return when you're ready. No ESTA required.
Old Sep 12th 2017, 11:12 am
Forum Regular

Why do you say that?

I have been using the VWP program to visit the US every 2-3 months since I had to return to London and haven't had an issue.

I'm not sure if being granted the immigrant visa nullifies the ESTA.

Thanks for your help though I will go in using the immigrant visa and return to London for a couple of months to round up the project.

Originally Posted by Twinkle0927
Wanted to add that according to your previous posts you're not eligible for the VWP anyway.

Last edited by toluani; Sep 12th 2017 at 11:27 am.
Old Sep 12th 2017, 12:32 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by toluani
I'm not sure if being granted the immigrant visa nullifies the ESTA.
It does not.

Ian
Old Sep 12th 2017, 1:14 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by toluani
Why do you say that?

I have been using the VWP program to visit the US every 2-3 months since I had to return to London and haven't had an issue.
Probably because you said so yourself - http://britishexpats.com/forum/us-im.../#post11951389

HTH.
Old Sep 12th 2017, 2:09 pm
Forum Regular

Oh yeah at that point I thought my driving conviction meant I wasn't eligible for the VWP, but following comments by other users I researched and concluded driving without a full licence did not constitute crime involving moral turpitude.

I declared the conviction as part of my immigrant visa application so if if it was an issue it would have come up on one of the multiple trips I've made over the past year and half.

Anyway though I will be entering the US for my next trip using the immigrant visa and leave with the temporary I-551 stamp on my passport.

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Probably because you said so yourself - http://britishexpats.com/forum/us-im.../#post11951389

HTH.

Last edited by toluani; Sep 12th 2017 at 2:36 pm.