Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Transferring Sterling into US bank

Transferring Sterling into US bank

Old Aug 17th 2017, 2:16 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Transferring Sterling into US bank

Originally Posted by Adnams
Ok so the gift is basically to help with my children's college expenses and its not mega huge but will be a big help for them and us. Hopefully my parents wont die within 7 years but I am also kind of really thinking why would I need to declare this?. Its a drop in the ocean for the authorities. Is it possible to wire it over and drop it in a mutual fund or 529 plan without a pip squeak? Or is that well, well dodgey?
Well the UK inheritance tax isn't your issue at all, it's your parents and their estate. And I don't mean that on any argumentative way - it just literally isn't anything you need to concern yourself with.

Otherwise, don't over think it - your bank is required by law to report receipt of amounts exceeding $10,000 from overseas, but that has really zero consequence to you. As I said above, just let your bank know that $x,000 is coming into the account, it's a gift from your parents to help with college expenses, and you'll be fine. IIRC you don't have to report receipts from overseas until they exceed $100k.

Last edited by Pulaski; Aug 17th 2017 at 2:28 am.
Old Aug 17th 2017, 2:45 am
BE Enthusiast

vikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond repute

Adding to Pulaski's point there maybe inheritance tax implications for a person gifting if they die within 7 years of the gift. This can usually be offset against the estate exemption. For example, for most people the exemption is 325K. If you gift 50K and die within 7 years 50K gets deducted from your exemption. So its an assets calculation game. 325k seems a lot but with houses in many parts of the UK this threshold may be reached fast.

https://www.gov.uk/inheritance-tax/gifts
Old Aug 17th 2017, 3:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Adnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond repute

As always thanks for all your insightful responses.
Old Aug 19th 2017, 1:44 am
in Northern California

malch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Adnams
Is it possible to wire it over and drop it in a mutual fund or 529 plan without a pip squeak?
I have a read downer on 529 plans which were created to benefit the financial services industry and colleges.

Watch out for high management fees. Also, you'll almost certainly be required to disclose a 529 and colleges will consider the money theirs. They will reduce any financial aid that you may qualify for.

If you're on a modest income you can use a Roth IRA to save for college. It will take a few years to shovel the money in because of annual contribution limits. But the money will grow tax free and you will not need to disclose it on any financial aid application. Normally, you can't withdraw money from a Roth before age 59.5 but there is an exception for college tuition. It's a great option for some, but certainly not all. So you should do your homework first.
Old Aug 23rd 2017, 5:58 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vikingsail
Adding to Pulaski's point there maybe inheritance tax implications for a person gifting if they die within 7 years of the gift.
The UK has an estate tax treaty with the US that limits the taper to 3 years total. It's very important that you establish that your domicile is in the US though as the UK has very weird domicile rules - however the treaty overrides the domicile rules, another advantage.

Bear in mind that residency for estate tax purposes is totally different than it is for income tax purposes.

Anyway to answer the original question - there are US banks that have Sterling accounts if I can believe what I hear on NPR. So you could just deposit the money without converting it.
Old Aug 25th 2017, 3:37 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
.... there are US banks that have Sterling accounts if I can believe what I hear on NPR. So you could just deposit the money without converting it.
Very, very few do, and paying interest on non-USD a/cs wasn't legal until about 5 years ago. It was this quirk of US banking regulations that spawned offshore banking in the Cayman Islands.

I doubt that many US banks will ever bother to invest in the software required to offer non-USD a/cs, and the last time I looked I found one in, I think, Missouri, that I suspect is actually offering offshore accounts, but isn't making that totally clear. I think there's a regional California/ West Coast bank, that is Japanese owned that I think offers non-USZ a/cs.

Last edited by Pulaski; Aug 25th 2017 at 3:45 am.
Old Aug 25th 2017, 4:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_

Anyway to answer the original question - there are US banks that have Sterling accounts if I can believe what I hear on NPR. So you could just deposit the money without converting it.
https://www.everbank.com/currencies

This article may also help.
Opening A Foreign Currency Account

I personally use Citibank, but I am not sure if multi-currency accounts are available for new customers. I have one debit card which I can switch between Euro, Sterling or Dollar accounts. They stopped the use of UK checks earlier this year. You need to hold a minimum of $2000 in each account otherwise you incur fees.

I can't see how you would really benefit from having a sterling account, unless you have outgoings in sterling.

Last edited by mrken30; Aug 25th 2017 at 5:03 am.
Old Aug 28th 2017, 8:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Has anyone used https://www.xendpay.com/ to send money?

I found out about it from this story Entrepreneur Paresh Davdra interview: How I build Rational FX and Xendpay - Business Insider