Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Transferring money over to the US

Transferring money over to the US

Old Sep 19th 2017, 3:10 pm
Just Joined

vinnyboy1979 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Transferring money over to the US

Hi , I'm looking to transfer over 10k over the next few weeks . What are people using to transfer larger amounts at the moment ? trasnferwise seems to what everyone is using at the mo , but also reading some negatives on people not getting their money . Also do I have report the money coming ?

I also have savings , which I'm gonna keep in the uk until we look to buy house etc , what do I need to do to protect it and declaring it to the government?

Thanks
Old Sep 19th 2017, 3:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Transferring money over to the US

I transferred much more than 10k using Transferwise with no issue. Let your receiving bank know ahead of time.

As for declaring money held in foreign accounts, google FATCA and FBAR.
Old Sep 19th 2017, 4:11 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by tom169
I transferred much more than 10k using Transferwise with no issue. Let your receiving bank know ahead of time.

As for declaring money held in foreign accounts, google FATCA and FBAR.
Thanks tom for that . Will signed up to transferwise today . Hopefully Mrs be ok for me to buy that mustang 🤣🤣🤣.

Do you know if u file fbar once you got a green card ? We got the interview Next month .
Old Sep 19th 2017, 4:26 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vinnyboy1979

Do you know if u file fbar once you got a green card ? We got the interview Next month .
You do so when you reside in the USA, and have over the limit if foreign financial accounts. The 2017 year FBAR is filed in 2018, by June (I think).
Old Sep 19th 2017, 4:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
You do so when you reside in the USA, and have over the limit if foreign financial accounts. The 2017 year FBAR is filed in 2018, by June (I think).
I have a feeling they changed it to April 15th, same as for taxes. I may be wrong, but vaguely remember reading something.

https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small...-accounts-fbar

For the years 2014 and 2015, FBAR deadline was June 30th but starting form 2017, the FBAR deadline was moved to April 15. This was after President Obama signed P.L. 114-41, the Surface Transportation and Veterans Health Care Choice Improvement Act of 2015 into law.

Also the $10,000 may include private pension funds.

Last edited by mrken30; Sep 19th 2017 at 4:35 pm.
Old Sep 19th 2017, 4:53 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by mrken30
I have a feeling they changed it to April 15th, same as for taxes. I may be wrong, but vaguely remember reading something.

https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small...-accounts-fbar

For the years 2014 and 2015, FBAR deadline was June 30th but starting form 2017, the FBAR deadline was moved to April 15. This was after President Obama signed P.L. 114-41, the Surface Transportation and Veterans Health Care Choice Improvement Act of 2015 into law.

Also the $10,000 may include private pension funds.
Ah just a thought , I have a stake holder pension which I can't cash till I'm 55 or something, does that mean that needs to be reported too ?
Old Sep 19th 2017, 4:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Ah just a thought , I have a stake holder pension which I can't cash till I'm 55 or something, does that mean that needs to be reported too ?
The general view is that if it is a pension in your name (as a stakeholder pension almost certainly is) then it should be declared on the FBAR and Form8938 (FATCA), if you meet the reporting threshold.
Old Sep 19th 2017, 5:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

There seems to be some ambiguity over private pensions unless they are Government pensions. A Stake holder pensions is probably reportable. I report mine as I took the view, it's better to report it and not need to, than not to report it and find out late I needed to.
Old Sep 19th 2017, 5:14 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

My FBAR is submitted in February when I do my taxes which is why I had no idea when the exact cut off date was.
Old Sep 20th 2017, 3:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Adnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond repute

We recently used FairFX. Main reason being that to use transferwise they told us we needed a UK residential address which we no longer have. Comparable rates at the time and good service.
Old Sep 20th 2017, 4:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Adnams
We recently used FairFX. Main reason being that to use transferwise they told us we needed a UK residential address which we no longer have. Comparable rates at the time and good service.
I signed up with Transferwise as a US resident, with no UK address, with no issues.
Old Sep 20th 2017, 4:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic
I signed up with Transferwise as a US resident, with no UK address, with no issues.
Are you transferring £ to $ , $ to £ or both? Maybe they want a UK address for £ to $
Old Sep 20th 2017, 4:37 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Are you transferring £ to $ , $ to £ or both? Maybe they want a UK address for £ to $
me too. last week.
Old Sep 20th 2017, 4:40 pm

I transfer £ to $ without a UK address. A UK bank account, or card, is required in the same name as the transferwise account holder.

Last edited by lansbury; Sep 20th 2017 at 4:45 pm.
Old Sep 20th 2017, 4:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

No, mine is £ to $. Exactly the same situation as Lansbury above.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.