Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Trailing spouse syndrome

Trailing spouse syndrome

Old Feb 24th 2018, 8:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

robtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Trailing spouse syndrome

My wife and daughter are both volunteering for the Humane Society locally, focused on cats and they love it, certainly more than my wife did working in ASDA back home.
Old Feb 24th 2018, 9:27 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RollingStones
.... I did actually go so far as to contact a research centre about a part-time job within the area I'm experienced. However, I was put off by the chap at the centre telling me that he didn't think it would be fair to show me the department first, especially when they get around 100 applicants per advert. .
Did he tell you that as a result of it not being "fair", and if they gave you the job, then someone who applied but didn't get the job finds out that you had a "pre-application visit" then the employer could be sued. .... So I wouldn't be put off, things are very legalistic in the US.
Old Feb 24th 2018, 9:40 pm
Forum Regular

RollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Did he tell you that as a result of it not being "fair", and if they gave you the job, then someone who applied but didn't get the job finds out that you had a "pre-application visit" then the employer could be sued. .... So I wouldn't be put off, things are very legalistic in the US.
No he didn't, but it's tragic. I was asking with reference to a position in the memory centre, essentially research into dementia and cognitive impairment. I did this at home. Being able to communicate effectively with such a vulnerable group of people is absolutely crucial, I'm sure you agree. I was quite explicit about the fact this would be my first application in the US and I was apprehensive. I expected them to jump at the opportunity to speak to me outside an interview situation. It's disappointing.

I've also met a number of American nurses since arriving here and I'm also surprised at the level of disillusionment. I thought they were happier than us. The commercial agenda in many areas is creating a toxic atmosphere. This is a travesty.
Old Feb 25th 2018, 12:29 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RollingStones
No he didn't, but it's tragic. I was asking with reference to a position in the memory centre, essentially research into dementia and cognitive impairment. I did this at home. Being able to communicate effectively with such a vulnerable group of people is absolutely crucial, I'm sure you agree. I was quite explicit about the fact this would be my first application in the US and I was apprehensive. I expected them to jump at the opportunity to speak to me outside an interview situation. It's disappointing.

I've also met a number of American nurses since arriving here and I'm also surprised at the level of disillusionment. I thought they were happier than us. The commercial agenda in many areas is creating a toxic atmosphere. This is a travesty.
I can understand why you're frustrated and disappointed, but the US law does its utmost to put everyone on a fair and level playing field. ..... Sometimes people skate outside the law, often these days with the help of LinkedIn, but large corporations and public institutions cannot afford to be seen to flout the law.
Old Feb 25th 2018, 10:40 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

RollingStones, was this research institute connected to a university? If it was - they do get hundreds of applications, and pre-application visits don't happen. Visits with the department, researchers, faculty etc are reserved for short-listed candidates and that usually is organised by the employer (ie, the search committee takes the candidate out to dinner with a few faculty members etc). Unfortunately they are not going to jump out of their seats to meet with anyone - they are buyers in a buyer's market - and quite often they already know who they want to hire before the advertisement hits the press.

I wouldn't be put off, but those jobs do generate a lot of competition. As Americans say - keep hitting the ball hard, eventually one will drop in for a hit.
Old Feb 25th 2018, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by carcajou
RollingStones, was this research institute connected to a university? If it was - they do get hundreds of applications, and pre-application visits don't happen. Visits with the department, researchers, faculty etc are reserved for short-listed candidates and that usually is organised by the employer (ie, the search committee takes the candidate out to dinner with a few faculty members etc). Unfortunately they are not going to jump out of their seats to meet with anyone - they are buyers in a buyer's market - and quite often they already know who they want to hire before the advertisement hits the press.

I wouldn't be put off, but those jobs do generate a lot of competition. As Americans say - keep hitting the ball hard, eventually one will drop in for a hit.
And network outside of the application process - through LinkedIn or forums specific to the topic. That way people in the business can get to know you and you may be able to get the inside scoop on up-coming positions.
Old Feb 25th 2018, 6:26 pm
Forum Regular

RollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond repute

Whilst I accept everything you guys are saying, I'm not sure I have the appetite for it at the moment.
I just won't have the freedom to work in a competitive work environment. It would be easier to go home, where the kids had more independence and I'm known within the speciality. I take on something like this and things will start to go pear-shaped.

Given the fact I'm available to the kids whenever they need me, and hubby doesn't seem to have any time for me now...
He's just phoned me from a beach hotel in Pondicherry, India. Telling me how warm the weather is, how beautiful India is and plaintively saying how much I would love it there, "wish you were here with me" type comments and now I'm feeling very sorry for myself.

Yes, I definitely like the idea of volunteering much better. I've sent a few e-mails, so I'm waiting for a response.
Old Mar 2nd 2018, 8:01 pm
Rock Goddess

Rockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a bit late to this thread but welcome. I'm a nurse too, and am currently doing my Master's in a nurse practitioner program...I graduate soon. I'm happy being a nurse here and know many others who are content, but nursing as a whole is very much more stressful, competitive and demanding here than it ever was back home. I attend an excellent university (University of Connecticut) and they are very supportive and encouraging and really foster nursing education. If you ever decided to pursue your Phd it will most certainly be rewarding, financially and emotionally. You have the potential to earn very good money (over 6 figures) at that level. However, the road is quite challenging. If you decide to return to nursing here you'd have to take the NCLEX and all the red tape and hoops that go with it, but going the educational route you'd quickly be able to recoup where you left off. I know that for me, nursing is a huge part of my identity, and for you to walk away from it will definitely have a psychological effect. Enjoy your time now, and if you eventually return to your studies, you'll be glad you did.
Old Mar 4th 2018, 12:21 am
Forum Regular

TandD2017 is an unknown quantity at this point

Well may I add that we have moved to Cayman. No kids. So different situation and a different country but my wife feels the same as you. Suppose it's just hard emotionally and physically to be away from where & what you know. Where we moved has advantages and some disadvantages, not better or worse than home. Still doesn't stop you missing the place and a part of you wishing you happened to be back there. Now where's that Rum and those BBQ tongs while it's snowing back in Blighty!