Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Time of year for new medical insurance rates?

Time of year for new medical insurance rates?

Old Oct 21st 2014, 7:43 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Time of year for new medical insurance rates?

So it's getting to that time where plans are rolling around for open enrolment.

Anyone seeing any chances to the plans or costs, especially since ACA came about?

We're getting details sent next week, but one thing we've found out is that there will be a $550 reduction a year for anyone who doesn't smoke or agrees to go on a program to quit smoking. They've not made it clear if that's per person or per family though, but should be in the details we get next week.
Old Oct 21st 2014, 8:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Time of year for new medical insurance rates?

The only thing I've read is that ACA policies will increase by an average 2.5% this year. However some policies that were the cheapest last year increased the most and the plans that were the most expensive decreased the most. It is recommended that ACA policy holders closely look at prices during open enrollment since last year's cheapest policy could be this year's most expensive policy.

Some assume that some companies priced low last year to get a large market share and are assuming that most people will remain with them. Other companies were more cautious and priced high but now have a better idea of costs so have lowered premiums.
Old Oct 21st 2014, 8:18 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

The MA Group Insurance Commission announced an average 1% increase in non-Medicare premiums from FY14 to FY15.
Old Oct 21st 2014, 8:23 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
So it's getting to that time where plans are rolling around for open enrolment.

Anyone seeing any chances to the plans or costs, especially since ACA came about?

We're getting details sent next week, but one thing we've found out is that there will be a $550 reduction a year for anyone who doesn't smoke or agrees to go on a program to quit smoking. They've not made it clear if that's per person or per family though, but should be in the details we get next week.
My PPO insurance used to be $81 for myself, or $595 with a family. It is now $129 for me and $561 for family.

So I sodded all that, and went with the HMO for myself and my wife at $200.
Old Oct 21st 2014, 9:00 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

My 'non-exchange' Humana policy has gone up 15%. I suppose I should be grateful, as it has been rising at 20% the last few years I find it hard to be grateful for a policy that will now cost 832 per month with an 11200 deductible.....I'll be looking closely at the exchange offerings again....hope they've sorted out the website.........
Old Oct 21st 2014, 9:13 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

The fact that they are holding back releasing increases until after the elections says a lot.
Old Oct 21st 2014, 9:20 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

My weekly premium for my PPO in work quadrupled, then added a bit more on just for shits and grins, which was nice

Plus my doctor visit copays went up by $10.00. I think my total out of pocket went down though. I was basically stuck though, it was either that, switch to the HMO to save $6 a week (but then have to get referrals for everything) or take the new cheapo plan option that was half the premiums but full out of pocket, no copays, pay 100% at the point of use until deductables and other OOP thresholds were met. That was, shall we say, not appealing.

The only reason I went on our insurance here was because my wife's employer was going to charge her an addiional $100.00+ a week just to have me on her plan. Which again was less than ideal ...
Old Oct 21st 2014, 9:22 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
My 'non-exchange' Humana policy has gone up 15%. I suppose I should be grateful, as it has been rising at 20% the last few years I find it hard to be grateful for a policy that will now cost 832 per month with an 11200 deductible.....I'll be looking closely at the exchange offerings again....hope they've sorted out the website.........
There's an enormous range on the ACA sites and of course what you end up paying depends on your income as that will dictate any subsidy. I like the goals of the ACA, but hate it's complexity and implementation.....so when I had to choose between an ACA plan and continuing my MA state insurance I went with the MA plan. It's more expensive than I could have paid for an ACA plan and I don't get any subsidy, but $450/month premium for a 53 year old man with a $250 deductible and no in network co-pays and continuity of insurance and avoiding any ACA worries feels like a good deal to me.
Old Oct 21st 2014, 9:35 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nun
There's an enormous range on the ACA sites and of course what you end up paying depends on your income as that will dictate any subsidy. I like the goals of the ACA, but hate it's complexity and implementation.....so when I had to choose between an ACA plan and continuing my MA state insurance I went with the MA plan. It's more expensive than I could have paid for an ACA plan and I don't get any subsidy, but $450/month premium for a 53 year old man with a $250 deductible and no in network co-pays and continuity of insurance and avoiding any ACA worries feels like a good deal to me.
That does sound appealing. I'm 50, and have a family of 4(plus me), and our income is such that we don't get any subsidy. It wouldn't surprise me if I end up staying with Humana, but the letter I got implies that the plan may not be ACA compliant next year, so not sure where we will stand on that. I'm going to have to call them and clarify that, plus look very closely at the list of exclusions which seems to increase every year along with the increasing premium! Can't be arsed this week though - I'm back to blighty for a week from Friday, so it will have to wait till I get back.
Old Oct 21st 2014, 9:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
The fact that they are holding back releasing increases until after the elections says a lot.
Many states that support of ACA have already approved new ACA rates and those rates do not show a significant increase (the silver plans average a 4% drop in premiums) but most states that oppose ACA have not yet approved new ACA rates and insurance companies have requested double digit rate increases.

Therefore the white house uses the figures of the approved plans and the republicans use the unapproved increases requested by insurance companies.

In Florida, Charlie Christ uses the white house figures and Rick Scott uses the republican figures. Since ACA open enrolment doesn't start until November 15th, rate increases don't have to be approved until after the election.

Everything is about politics.
Old Oct 21st 2014, 9:46 pm
Account Closed

Colorado is Dem and rates will not be released until after the elections.
Old Oct 21st 2014, 9:57 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
That does sound appealing. I'm 50, and have a family of 4(plus me), and our income is such that we don't get any subsidy. It wouldn't surprise me if I end up staying with Humana, but the letter I got implies that the plan may not be ACA compliant next year, so not sure where we will stand on that. I'm going to have to call them and clarify that, plus look very closely at the list of exclusions which seems to increase every year along with the increasing premium! Can't be arsed this week though - I'm back to blighty for a week from Friday, so it will have to wait till I get back.
Uncertainty and deductibles were what put me off the ACA. To get an ACA plan similar to the MA plan would have cost about twice as much, but I could have got a high deductible ACA plan for maybe $150/month. In the end I put continuity of coverage and not being worried above minimizing my premium, I put those high on my list when it comes to health care.
Old Oct 21st 2014, 9:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Boiler
Colorado is Dem and rates will not be released until after the elections.
As of October 3, 2014, six states—Colorado, Maryland, New York, Ohio, Oregon, and Rhode Island—as well as the District of Columbia have announced approved rates for both on-exchange and off-exchange health plans on the individual market. In total, HRI has collected premium data from 40 states and the District of Columbia

ACA state exchanges

Colorado has an average of a 2% rate increase and rate increases range between -22% to +35%.
Old Oct 21st 2014, 10:02 pm
Account Closed

The State web site, Connect for Colorado is not showing them.

I have also seen the suggestion that the plans that are most bought will go up versus the plans less bought. Call me cynical.
Old Oct 21st 2014, 11:17 pm
The worse half of Weeze

Mr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond repute

Our traditional plan is being "enhanced". Our monthly payment for a family is going to go up "moderately" (it's currently $294) and our deductible is going up from $200/person to $500/person.

I really don't understand what "enhanced" means.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.